Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So why hundreds of thousands of Tesla buyers are OK paying for features and not getting them except, at best, much much later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused about the current situation with Tesla's enhanced autopilot and full self-driving (FSDb) features.

It seems hundreds of thousands of customers are paying for these features, only to later find out that there is no available version to upgrade their car to.
E.g. some versions of FSDb are available, but they are not compatible with the customer's car. Similarly, some versions of enhanced pilot with auto park are available, but they do not work with the customer's car.

I am wondering if Tesla should not be allowed to sell those these features unless there is a version of the feature that is currently applicable to their car, that is, installable as soon as finish paying.
I understand some greatness are bad, but at least I get something for the money, after all quality is subjective, but getting nothing?

Above would force Tesla to take more responsibility and ensure that there is always something available for customers to use their money on, rather than leaving them with unpredictable wait times for the next working autopilot or FSD version.

I find it strange that the current situation is considered normal. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused about the current situation with Tesla's enhanced autopilot and full self-driving (FSDb) features.

It seems hundreds of thousands of customers are paying for these features, only to later find out that there is no available version to upgrade their car to.
E.g. some versions of FSDb are available, but they are not compatible with the customer's car. Similarly, some versions of enhanced pilot with auto park are available, but they do not work with the customer's car.

I am wondering if Tesla should not be allowed to sell those these features unless there is a version of the feature that is currently applicable to their car, that is, installable as soon as finish paying.
I understand some greatness are bad, but at least I get something for the money, after all quality is subjective, but getting nothing?

Above would force Tesla to take more responsibility and ensure that there is always something available for customers to use their money on, rather than leaving them with unpredictable wait times for the next working autopilot or FSD version.

I find it strange that the current situation is considered normal. Do you have any thoughts on this?
It's like kickstarter, just more expensive. The earlier you buy in, the less it costs and the higher your risk.

some versions of FSDb are available, but they are not compatible with the customer's car. Similarly, some versions of enhanced pilot with auto park are available, but they do not work with the customer's car.
Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean by this. We paid for FSD Capability package because it afforded us some features and locked in the price of FSD. But it sounds like you're talking about something else?

Reactions: NanaimoMY
Maybe I’m missing something.

Let’s take for example autopark, a feature the contract says firmly “it’s included” and I tested this morning and it’s not there. Note the contract for autopark does not say “upcoming feature”, rather “included”

Copy/paste from the contract:

“Enhanced Autopilot also includes:
-Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch.”
And

“Full Self-Driving Capability also includes:
Upcoming:
-Autosteer on city streets”

Ok, you can make the argument with Autosteer on city streets it’s says “upcoming” and given it does not say when it could be forever.

But, on autopark it says “included”.

How is not that a breach of contract says “it’s there” and it is not?

Maybe I’m missing something.

Let’s take for example autopark, a feature the contract says firmly “it’s included” and I tested this morning and it’s not there. Note the contract for autopark does not say “upcoming feature”, rather “included”

Copy/paste from the contract:

“Enhanced Autopilot also includes:
-Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch.”
And

“Full Self-Driving Capability also includes:
Upcoming:
-Autosteer on city streets”

Ok, you can make the argument with Autosteer on city streets it’s says “upcoming” and given it does not say when it could be forever.

But, on autopark it says “included”.

How is not that a breach of contract says “it’s there” and it is not?
Several people have suggested disabling FSD Beta brings back Autopark on USS equiped cars. If you're in Beta, see if that solution works for you. I'm in Beta, on 10.69 and I still have Autopark even with FSD Beta enabled. Just this past Tues I was in a carpark and found a parallel spot, when I put the car in reverse to start parking manually, Autopark offered to take over. I pressed Start and it parked for me.

If you have a new car without USS, the latest 2023 general branch seems to bring back some functions including distance measurements, indicating that Autopark should be returning pretty soon. Not sure when general branch parking assistance will be brought over to Beta, but it's only a matter of time.

I have a 2023 version and I bought it with enhanced autopilot factory installed, in Mar 2023

I expected, if it have enhanced autopilot factory installed, would just work the moment I drive it out off the lot.

How could Tesla say “ pay me 6k for enhanced autopilot that includes autopark” and when I drive it off the lot it does not have it?

I understand the beta features are listed in the contract as “upcoming”, but autopark is listed under “included”?

Reactions: RedY23
Bought FSD on my 2018 Model 3 when it went on sale for 2k, I thought maybe the upgraded autopilot hardware would be worth it even if we really did not have actual FSD, I sold the car years later and felt I never got my monies worth, thankfully I did not pay more, the 15K they charge now is a joke and the enhanced AP is not worth it either IMO, I have a 23' Y and would never consider buying this vaporware again, that being said I did love the car and bought another Tesla so....?

Yes, but for me autopark does not work at all, I’m not talking that is working and it’s bad, it just does not work at all.

Why a feature listed in the contract (like auto-park) and not working at all, is not considered a manufacturing defect they need to fix under warranty, like any other car manufacturer is required to do?

Yes, but for me autopark does not work at all, I’m not talking that is working and it’s bad, it just does not work at all.

Why a feature listed in the contract (like auto-park) and not working at all, is not considered a manufacturing defect they need to fix under warranty, like any other car manufacturer is required to do?
It appears that you have a new car without ultrasonic sensors (USS). As I understand it, autopark was disabled for those cars until Tesla gets the camera-based USS replacement software completed. The latest software update, which you may not have yet, adds parking assist features that were also disabled for lack of USS. So, Tesla should be close to releasing autopark for you, but it's not quite there yet.

The removal of USS is a sore spot for many because Tesla did it before the software to replace the USS code was completed.

I have a 2023 version and I bought it with enhanced autopilot factory installed, in Mar 2023

I expected, if it have enhanced autopilot factory installed, would just work the moment I drive it out off the lot.

How could Tesla say “ pay me 6k for enhanced autopilot that includes autopark” and when I drive it off the lot it does not have it?

I understand the beta features are listed in the contract as “upcoming”, but autopark is listed under “included”?
Our understanding from others who have purchased recently is that there is notification from Tesla as an addendum indicating that your car has parking assistance features temporarily disabled. Did you not receive that note, or communication from your sales advisor?

Our understanding from others who have purchased recently is that there is notification from Tesla as an addendum indicating that your car has parking assistance features temporarily disabled. Did you not receive that note, or communication from your sales advisor?
I see. Don’t remember such a note, but I’ll look for it. It should be in all the stuff I signed. The definition of “temporary” matters.

Also in my state in particular if a new car stays in shop for repairs more then 30 days for a manufacturing defect it’s considered a lemon and they have to buy it back.

So if there is no note I take the car to the Tesla shop and wait for them to fix the autopark, if it stays more then 30 days it’s a lemon.
If there is a note that defines temporary as a year then yea, they had some clever lawyers.

So now it’s a matter of finding that note and seeing how explicit was the definition of “temporary”.

Y
I see. Don’t remember such a note, but I’ll look for it. It should be in all the stuff I signed. The definition of “temporary” matters.

Also in my state in particular if a new car stays in shop for repairs more then 30 days for a manufacturing defect it’s considered a lemon and they have to buy it back.

So if there is no note I take the car to the Tesla shop and wait for them to fix the autopark, if it stays more then 30 days it’s a lemon.
If there is a note that defines temporary as a year then yea, they had some clever lawyers.

So now it’s a matter of finding that note and seeing how explicit was the definition of “temporary”.
Per your previous posts your car is less than 2 weeks old with the base factory raw software. Give it time til you receive the actual full version software then judge it.

EAP is not beta, just the traffic light part of it is beta
Yes it is. The manual identifies both Autosteer and Navigate on Autopilot as beta features.

It’s too bad that you didn’t find this forum until after you bought your car. If you had looked here earlier, you would have known what to expect, and could have avoided buying a car you’re unhappy with. Now you’ll just have to wait (like the rest of us) for these issues to get resolved. Tesla frequently makes hardware changes that temporarily disable certain features, so the Autopark issue is not unusual. Note that Autopark was never very reliable even when it was enabled.

You will not be able to just take your car to Tesla and leave it with them to 'fix' autopark. You first need to do a service request, describing the problem. Tesla will then tell you that autopark will be enabled in a future software update and cancel your service request. The service center won't take the car in to sit around waiting for the software update because there is nothing they can do to it. New software downloads automatically when it's available for your car.

Reactions: DrGriz and derotam
I would understand your gripes if you purchased FSD from the beginning until maybe 2020, but at this point it's common knowledge what you are buying into. It's a process. I think legit level 2 where the car can drive me, but I have to monitor is a worthy 10K upgrade and I've spent that 3x to this point...it's the cost of the red engine accents in a Corvette (maybe carbon fiber? My neighbor said it was about $10k), but at this point if people buy it and think they are getting robotaxi or level 5 anytime soon, it's their fault. The verbiage from Tesla, MSM, and Tesla communities have made it clear that's not what is being delivered.

Edit: And if someone buys what Elon says on Twitter at face value, they are also either uninformed (at best) or a fanboy...

Reactions: SO16