Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you don't have a 2021 "refresh"...who cares, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, seriously, how were you losing 10-20%?? Did you have the cabin temp retain on?

Seriously. Was that bad. Temps were in the teens for a good week at night here in Rhode Island a few months back. At least 10% would be lost and miles were 3 to 1 when driving. When I got my trade in offer and it would put me even about with a small down payment, it was a no-brainer for me. Get into an LR, heat pump, possible heated steering wheel (any word on that in the U.S.?), the refreshed console which I dig way more, and all the minor details like the glove box USB, black trim, etc sold me.

Now having the 2021, its night and day with the heat. Temps were in the low 20s last night for example. Lost 2% unplugged and not garaged. With no conditioning, I get in and set the heat to 75 and its hot to where I need to turn it to my comfortable point of 68ish within a mile of leaving my home. The SR+? 5 min at least. Also, I havent seen a snowflake on my battery yet. Im much happier with the 2021 for my needs.

Seriously. Was that bad. Temps were in the teens for a good week at night here in Rhode Island a few months back. At least 10% would be lost and miles were 3 to 1 when driving. When I got my trade in offer and it would put me even about with a small down payment, it was a no-brainer for me. Get into an LR, heat pump, possible heated steering wheel (any word on that in the U.S.?), the refreshed console which I dig way more, and all the minor details like the glove box USB, black trim, etc sold me.

Now having the 2021, its night and day with the heat. Temps were in the low 20s last night for example. Lost 2% unplugged and not garaged. With no conditioning, I get in and set the heat to 75 and its hot to where I need to turn it to my comfortable point of 68ish within a mile of leaving my home. The SR+? 5 min at least. Also, I havent seen a snowflake on my battery yet. Im much happier with the 2021 for my needs.

may I ask, where did you trade in...and is that even WITH sales taxes or was that just a sunk cost?

Whoa, dude, are you saying that leaving the car overnight, without the climate retain on, you were losing 10% of your battery? Meaning say you'd park with 150 miles on screen, and in the morning you'd be down to 125? How? In California, with night temps in the 30s and 40s, typically the charge doesn't even budge overnight, if I'm not waking the car to keep checking. Maybe 1 or 2 miles drop over several days if I'm not driving.

I'm sure if you're happy it was a sound move.

Of course, as things go, we FSD owners aren't motivated to get a newer model, if they give us nothing more for FSD, and no way to move the option to a new car.

With a 10-30% overnight loss, more like someone was secretly driving it!
LOL, no. No one was driving it. The car was a lemon battery wise is what me and my SA have figured out. No apps, no sentry mode, nothing, and it would lose so much. In any case, I left my 2021 LR outside last night, unplugged, with sentry mode on. Lost 2% in 20 degree weather. Im also running TeslaFi and an iPhone app with the LR. In the end, I broke even on the trade from a 2020 SR+ that had battery issues and am in a 2021 LR now, refreshed, AWD, better center console IMO, heat pump, etc.

Would you all have kept the 2020 in this case? No... so shhh. LOL

Take a look at my pic at 2k mile mark which I hit today. Not too bad!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.07.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.07.07 AM.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
Of course not, 10-30% overnight charge loss would be a major warranty issue for me! That kind of loss has nothing to do with the old vs new heater. As you say, a major battery issue!

"10-30% overnight charge loss would be a major warranty issue for me".

So, fight with the warranty and keep the 2020 SR+ that had an issue (and most likely more coming in time) or trade in for whats owed on it and start fresh with a 2021 LR (minimal out of pocket for a down payment) for around the same payment as the 2020? (Note, by "trading in", I only paid the difference in the trade in amount and the total as per my states tax laws as well. Saved a few grand there also).

No-brainer to me but, some like chrome I guess.

Last edited:
"10-30% overnight charge loss would be a major warranty issue for me".

So, fight with the warranty and keep the 2020 SR+ that had an issue (and most likely more coming in time) or trade in for whats owed on it and start fresh with a 2021 LR (minimal out of pocket for a down payment) for around the same payment as the 2020? (Note, by "trading in", I only paid the difference in the trade in amount and the total as per my states tax laws as well. Saved a few grand there also).

No-brainer to me but, some like chrome I guess.

Yeah whatever works for you. But earlier you were talking as though the vast improvement was down to the 2021 refresh, which it clearly isn’t. You just had a 2020 lemon as it turns out. I just saw the 10-30% parked overnight loss quoted and thought WTF?

Reactions: Gizmo35
Yeah whatever works for you. But earlier you were talking as though the vast improvement was down to the 2021 refresh, which it clearly isn’t. You just had a 2020 lemon as it turns out. I just saw the 10-30% parked overnight loss quoted and thought WTF?

For some it is a vast improvement. For some it isnt. I find Im happier here, lemon or not. That being said, stating any opinion in a subjective instance like its gospel, is doo doo, IN MY OPINION. Enough typing. Im going to go play with my heat pump now. Later!