Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you don't have a 2021 "refresh"...who cares, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Tesla buyer has their couple days to months in the limelight of owning the greatest car on Earth .. and then an upgraded car turns them into yesterday's news.

Such is the promise and reality of continuous improvement. Either embrace it, or suffer FOMO and/or buyer's remorse. I have no regrets with my 2018 Model 3 purchase, and my wife wants a Model Y. Fine, says I, but let's Osborne Elon until the car has a 400 mile range. THEN he can obsolete me ... again.

Yeah...it's because they never changed the website from 3.2 since the last performance software update, or the test driver didn't eat a double quarter pounder that day.

You forgot...

Hub cap update: New Forum Created
I was focused on updates related to a Performance. :D

Oh, one more.... heat pump - eh (but I kinda thought of this as being rolled into the range increase along with a larger battery)

Mine will be a 2021, but won't have the new headlights, but I don't care.
The heat pump and center console changes are the updates I care about. Not going to stress whether I have some slightly improved headlight, until US laws allow the new technology headlights, what it has now is plenty good.

Reactions: Gsxr150
I like it. It reminds of when bmw does the LCI updates to its cars at their midpoint of production lifespan. I sold my 2020 Stealth to get a 2021 P3 with the added bonus of 9k in my pocket. All the updates are just a bonus :) as I was pretty happy with my stealth.

If you're a car enthusiast as I am, these changes would not fly under your radar. The youtube guys are the worst though.

I think it really just depends where you choose to focus your attention. In the real-world, nobody really cares, which likely accounts for the majority of people.

To anyone who earns a living from Tesla coverage, they'll make a bigger deal out of anything...this includes blogs and YT. With the rapid pace at which Tesla moves, they're almost tailor-made for the media's appetite for content. It's a bit much, but I don't take this to represent the actual owners, who are mostly part of the above category.

For fans, including the people who join and browse forums, I expect this and related behavior. It's pretty much in-line with other car forums I'm a member of, especially when the car is more unique. Back when I owned a rotary car, you'd see just as much fanatical behavior, but they loved the obscurity of it all. Likewise, Miata, Jeep, Element, Mini owners, etc. love their quirks and truly get into their own, when it comes to ownership.

Tesla is just the "it" thing at the moment and seems to mirror the iPhone, in its own market. I won't mind when EVs normalize and people stop projecting so hard...I really don't need a 3 month ownership update, 6 month ownership update, "I sold my Tesla" title, or whatever else gets clicks, but until then, I'm just enjoying the ride. The coverage is good for Tesla, but I'll likely get excited again when they toss some 4680 batteries around.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hey guys,

I've been around cars for a while and probably have owned 40 vehicles, including 2 Teslas. I just want to throw it out there for discussion... I think it's rather comical how many folks are reacting to the slight changes in the 2021 Model 3's. The truth is for any other car manufacturer, these slight changes would probably go under the radar unless you're a salesperson talking to a customer on the lot.

These Youtube videos are like Saturday Night Live skits - comparing a "refreshed" 2021 Model 3 to a 2019 or 2020. I literally feel like I'm being "punked"... Oh no, it's no joke (very sad)... Their excitement beings to build as they find some un-noticeable (to 99% of the public) change to a hub cap shape. Then, their head literally explodes when they say, "it has black trim and the center console is slightly different", with the same level of enthusiasm as if they just saw aliens land in their own back yard. Wait until the "secret" heated steering wheel is activated - it will be like the second coming of Christ on this forum. You want to know why some people think Tesla owners are pretentious idiots? Case and point on the 2021 MY having a few changes, and the Tesla Community's reaction to those slight changes. Looks like a lot of Kool-Aid has been passed around here, folks...

I'm a major Tesla Fanboy and LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my car, but holy hell...what am I missing? Does the 2021 fly?

The worst is DAErik..... These 2 guys have clearly no clue about automobiles. Their early butt Dyno videos after a software update was comical... They used to give each other wet shorts every episode...

Depending on where you live, Heat Pump addition is huge.

I personally love the power liftgate, and would have added it aftermarket.

I like all aspects of the center console now. The redesign phone charger feels high quality and is nice, got rid of that stupid flip up door. The door to storage is higher quality than the previous.

This discussion is really just like talking about iPhones. Now that the iPhone 12 is out and sells at about the same price as the iPhone 11, how many people would actually still want to buy the iPhone 11 when given a choice?

Or the Sony A7R IV mirrorless camera vs the older A7R III.

Nothing wrong with the old model, except that it's no longer the desirable cool, flashy toy able to command a premium.

I am also part of the minority that thinks the chrome trim gives it a real classy look.
The black trim is a clear cost-cutting downgrade, and I'm getting delivery of a 2021 LR next week. I also happen to like the old headlights better, and my car missed the new ones by a few cars apparently, so it was good to hear that. Ha ha. Those projectors look cheap IMO. The only reason I'm happy for a 2021 is the heat pump, increased range, double-pane windows (IF they make the car quieter), and power trunk. I honestly don't even know yet what the exterior differences are.

Last edited:
Depending on where you live, Heat Pump addition is huge.

Why’s that? What does a heat pump Model 3 do that a “crappy old” Model 3 doesn’t?

I’m reserving judgement until February when the real cold weather hits. I suspect that the heat pump won’t be all that at -5F. Whereas a PTC heater still will do a good job warming the cabin ...

So yeah - I totally agree, the psychosis around every little running change “OMG NEW VALVE STEMS!!!11!! WATCH MY 20 MINUTE VIDEO” is nuts.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I would agree the changes are minor and certainly not worth trading in my 2019 Model 3 for. On the other hand, I would not want to be one of the last people to buy a 2020 model at full price right before the 2021 models began delivering. It would be like buying an Iphone 11 in the month of August. So it’s always a good idea to keep an eye out for rumors of pending changes if you are getting ready to buy one.

Why’s that? What does a heat pump Model 3 do that a “crappy old” Model 3 doesn’t?

I’m reserving judgement until February when the real cold weather hits. I suspect that the heat pump won’t be all that at -5F. Whereas a PTC heater still will do a good job warming the cabin ...

The secret to the heat pump setup in the new 3 and y is if it's too cold outside to efficiently generate heat from the outside air they can pull it out of the battery which is warmed from waste heat from the motors. IF there isnt' enough waste heat from the motors they can make more just like they do when you do on route battery warming going to a supercharger. An even bigger advantage is the fact when you heat the battery up be it via supercharging or preheating plugged into the wall that energy can be then used to make the heat pump very efficient. it's not worth trading your car in to get, but it's certainly a very nice upgrade over a normal ptc heater.