Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you don't have a 2021 "refresh"...who cares, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why’s that? What does a heat pump Model 3 do that a “crappy old” Model 3 doesn’t?

I’m reserving judgement until February when the real cold weather hits. I suspect that the heat pump won’t be all that at -5F. Whereas a PTC heater still will do a good job warming the cabin ...

So yeah - I totally agree, the psychosis around every little running change “OMG NEW VALVE STEMS!!!11!! WATCH MY 20 MINUTE VIDEO” is nuts.

At it's worst, a heat pump will be the same efficiency as a resistive heater. At more optimal conditions (>14F) it is much more efficient.

Reactions: BeeGood
Chrome delete - eh
Center console - eh
USB-A to USB-C ports - eh
Überturbine wheels - eh
Power trunk - eh
Range increase from 299 to 315 - eh

0-60 reduction from 3.2 to 3.1 -

WTF!?!? :mad:

LOL!

Power Trunk, meh.
If it were a Power Frunk, I'd be perturbed. Plan Hansshow is still in force if I keep my car!

And yes the 3.1 (vs. 3.2) does rankle me a little. I want the *fastest* Model 3! :D However, with a Stealth's 18" wheels and lower rotating mass I think it still has the advantage off the line. :)

LOL!

Power Trunk, meh.
If it were a Power Frunk, I'd be perturbed. Plan Hansshow is still in force if I keep my car!

And yes the 3.1 (vs. 3.2) does rankle me a little. I want the *fastest* Model 3! :D However, with a Stealth's 18" wheels and lower rotating mass I think it still has the advantage off the line. :)
Ditto; I want the fastest Model 3. I couldn’t care less about the convenience of a power trunk or efficiency increase of a heat pump. If anything, I see those as more weight/more to break. Give me sub 3sec 0-60! :D

Then again, I also understand I’m probably the minority profile [gearhead focused rather than tech/luxury focused]. :eek:

Reactions: Pkmmte and Spacep0d
At it's worst, a heat pump will be the same efficiency as a resistive heater. At more optimal conditions (>14F) it is much more efficient.

I ... disagree with that. A PTC a heater is incredibly efficient - nearly 100% so.

A heat pump below its balance point isn’t going to sufficiently warm without supplemental heat.

Again, I’m going to reserve my judgement until we see a first winter with the heat pump ... but I’m skeptical it’ll do as good a job warming the cabin as the PTC heater. I care less about efficiency at those temperatures than I do being comfortable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I ... disagree with that. A PTC a heater is incredibly efficient - nearly 100% so.

A heat pump below its balance point isn’t going to sufficiently warm without supplemental heat.

Again, I’m going to reserve my judgement until we see a first winter with the heat pump ... but I’m skeptical it’ll do as good a job warming the cabin as the PTC heater. I care less about efficiency at those temperatures than I do being comfortable.

What you're thinking about as efficiency is power, a ptc heater may output more heat, but it is only 100% efficient converting electricity to heat, while a heat pump can be up to 300% efficient. Out of the efficiency range, a heat pump drops to 100% as well.
The heat pump moves heat from the battery to the cabin, instead of using battery power to generate heat.

Chrome delete - eh
Center console - eh
USB-A to USB-C ports - eh
Überturbine wheels - eh
Power trunk - eh
Range increase from 299 to 315 - eh

0-60 reduction from 3.2 to 3.1 -

WTF!?!? :mad:

All meh

4680 Model 3 is when I'll upgrade. It will be very much worth it

Yeah...it's because they never changed the website from 3.2 since the last performance software update, or the test driver didn't eat a double quarter pounder that day.

You forgot...

Hub cap update: New Forum Created

They should specify the weight of the driver in which they conducted and concluded official 0-60 times

Curious if it's a fat dude or a lightweight

What you're thinking about as efficiency is power, a ptc heater may output more heat, but it is only 100% efficient converting electricity to heat, while a heat pump can be up to 300% efficient. Out of the efficiency range, a heat pump drops to 100% as well.
The heat pump moves heat from the battery to the cabin, instead of using battery power to generate heat.

In a -5 degree environment, there won't be much heat in the batteries at all.

I'm not saying at all that it's untenable - but I suspect the PTC heater will warm the cabin much more quickly in a cold-start environment. Curious how this plays out, is all.

I love the heat pump, and the Octovalve is a genuine work of art... I just want to see how it performs at the outer edges of its envelope. Call me a skeptic -- and one who's been known to eat crow when I'm wrong. :)

From a dead cold battery yeah, but if you're going to superchargers or coming from your home charger, you'll have some heat it can scavenge. Bjorn has a few good videos on this and how it compares to his older model 3.

Cold soaked battery is much, much, much more likely for me than a Supercharger session. I’m going to let the rest of you try it out ... doesn’t make a bill of beans of difference to me as I’m not replacing my 3 or X anytime soon. Got another 8-10 years before I’m going to even consider it. :)

don't care for chrome delete/ power trunk / center console

double pane window (but only on drivers side???) is nice

350+ miles EPA is *very* nice compared to the 310 miles my LR AWD was getting when new. 350+ rating let's you do Amarillo - Trinidad nonstop leg year round as long as you stay 70 mph or under depending on the winds.

The secret to the heat pump setup in the new 3 and y is if it's too cold outside to efficiently generate heat from the outside air they can pull it out of the battery which is warmed from waste heat from the motors. IF there isnt' enough waste heat from the motors they can make more just like they do when you do on route battery warming going to a supercharger. An even bigger advantage is the fact when you heat the battery up be it via supercharging or preheating plugged into the wall that energy can be then used to make the heat pump very efficient. it's not worth trading your car in to get, but it's certainly a very nice upgrade over a normal ptc heater.
I thought the PTC heater is still there as yet another fall back. Is this not the case? And yes the heat pump would be nice and would help with the family trips to the parts of Ohio with no public charging.

Why’s that? What does a heat pump Model 3 do that a “crappy old” Model 3 doesn’t?
Use less electricity for the same amount of heat, down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 30F ambient

It doesn't matter that a heat pump is no more efficient than resistance heating at 5F, unless you live in 5F all.winter.long, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

E.g., most of my winter is in the 40s F when I am out and about in the car so a heat pump could make a big difference to my winter range. In point of fact it is less than might be assumed because I live in a climate that has a sunny winter so my use of cabin heating is minimal. So energy savings will be a YMMV but pretty clearly a heat pump is of some benefit outside of coastal California, Florida, and the Gulf coast.

Last edited:
LOL!

Power Trunk, meh.

Exactly. The interior...OKAY, but I actually like the cover for the charging pad...usb-c, had it in the late 2020 anyway, and with a taptes unit it doesn’t matter. I hate the power lift gates... especially since you can’t manually override without messing up the mechanism. Only things I would value are the range, heat pump! and maybe heated steering wheel, but outside of range, they are are not major to me. I like the chrome actually, but it’s a nice accent for an MSM car. I like black oh the other colors.

Reactions: Spacep0d

What you're thinking about as efficiency is power

Not power, but what the heat pump industry calls capacity. They mean heat per time. For a heat pump it is power*COP
It has been true in the past that heat pumps had lower capacity than straight resistance solutions although I don't know if that is the case in the new Tesla models, and if so at what temperatures.