TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So you need to take drivers licence (card or paper)

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by BelfastEV, Sep 27, 2019.

1. BelfastEV

BelfastEV Member

reason I ask is I’ve a preliminary delivery date Oct 9th but I’ve got to send off both parts as I got three points (I’m a bad boy) for speeding and they don’t guarantee it being returned back for 8 weeks wtf although I assume it comes back much quicker

2. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Not at Heathrow for anyone I heard of!

• Like x 1
  3. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I was asked for nothing, just my name, but I can understand your concern.

Have you ever uploaded the picture of your DL that Tesla request?

If so, I’d just take some other form of photo ID (passport perhaps?) if your DL isn’t returned by your collection date.

4. MOBB

MOBB Member

Birmingham didn’t require mine yesterday

5. mnobleuk

mnobleuk Member

I'm assuming you're going to Edinburgh - I picked up in late August so I'll digress from your original question :)

... after trying to answer.

Honestly I don't remember being asked for ID in any form but it's all a haze - so don't take that as gospel. Why not try to contact Edinburgh and explain. If needed they might accept a photocopy - so I would definitely scan or copy it before sending it off

On reflection I was asked to upload documents in advance though so I scanned my license.

Edinburgh delivery experience :

The people there are fantastic, friendly, helpful and flexible.

I was trading in so I got the 7.30 ferry (Larne -> Cairnryan) and arrived 12:00. I only found out a few weeks earlier that P&O and Stena have 30 hour tickets which are much cheaper than regular ones - so it cost me £180 return (OK so I swung for priority boarding and the lounge as it was a rare day out without the family for me :) ). If trading in you book with your old registration number and then on check in for the outbound ferry tell them you're bringing a different car back and they will change the return for you.

Its a fairly easy drive from Cairnryan and the delivery centre is just off the motorway from Glasgow (and on the Glasgow side) - I used the postcode in my old sat nav and it took me straight there.

My appointment was for 3pm but I thought I'd chance it to see if they would deliver earlier. They slotted me in with another delivery right away (turning a 1 person delivery into a "group" delivery).

The navigation in the car assumes ferry miles as driven miles so don't panic if the navigation says you arent going to make it home - do your own calculations. I didnt realise that so panicked and went to the nearby supercharger. Its not easy to find and I ended up driving through the drop off point at Edinburgh airport (£2 the poorer for it !). Its in a car park and you have to press the buzzer and say to security you're charging your Tesla - then they open the barrier for you. I actually didn't need to as the car had 200 miles charge on it and it was while charging I realised where the navigation was going wrong.

Had a nice leisurely drive back stopping for food and testing out autopilot (it doesnt work well in some of the small villages close to Cairnryan) - arrived Cairnryan 6pm for the 8pm ferry (earliest I've ever done !). So early I surprised the security folk - who then decided to search me and the car. They went through everything thoroughly apart from not looking in the frunk !

Got home with 70 miles "in the tank"

• Like x 1
  6. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I can see Teslas becoming the vehicle of choice for smugglers :eek:

I wonder how long it will be before HM Border Force gets wise...

• Funny x 1
  7. Avendit

Avendit Member

I think they are verifying ID when you upload, there are automations for that so it's not a person making a judgement call. After that you are tied to your account. The car is tied to the account and your account is tied to the phone they have you pair. If that all ties together then they have a positive ID perhapse?
    They iMight have your license pic on their side that they are verifying and we don't know?

Only way to know would be if someone could very quickly grow a beard? Also, I suspect they will retain the ability to remotely disable the car if needed?

8. Obliter8

Obliter8 Member

I was asked for DL on arrival at Heathrow yesterday, not after that

• Like x 1
  9. Keeper

Keeper Member

I was also asked for DL at vehicle collection reception area at WD. No details were taken from it and I assumed they were looking for proof of my ID. Done in seconds. :cool:

• Like x 2
  10. klib

klib Member

Have you got a scanned version? I uploaded a scan of my license when I purchased the car, and although I took it with me for collection (as I was instructed to do), nobody asked to see it. They might be happy just with the scanned version.

11. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

• Informative x 1
  12. Keeper

Keeper Member

#12 Keeper, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Take a face pic showing the license with license number in your hand, standing outside your house showing the house number or name in the background. If not in focus, use a video which has the added advantage of being able to sprint down the road live and show the street name too (maybe with your face next to it also) Problem solved! :D

13. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Well, from my experience at Edinburgh you just need to turn up, say you've come for a Model 3, and they give you one ... eek!

• Funny x 1
  14. Turnberrydavid

I picked up today in Manchester (Stockport) and they never asked to see anything, insurance cert, drivers license, or invoice !

15. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

There is no both parts. DVLA got rid of the paper part years ago. I know that is not relevant. But just saying.

16. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

"Changes made to the format of Great Britain driving licences effective from 8 June 2015, have no effect on licences issued by the Driver & Vehicle Agency in NI. Northern Ireland licences continue to be composed of two parts, a plastic photocard and a paper counterpart"

The photocard driving licence explained | nidirect

• Like x 1