Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOC in the evening vs the next morning (-3 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi there,

i'm a new (<2 week) owner so still very new to the amazing Model S experience. i've been tracking my daily SOC for a variety of reasons, and noticed that my morning SOC is typically ~3 mi of rated range lower than where i left it after my daily commute home the evening before. in other words, when i park in the evening it might read 203 mi rated range, and the next morning it would be 200. is this simply due to the ambient temperature? the temperature differential is on the order of ~15 degrees lately (i.e. 70F in the evening, 55F in the morning). note that i don't plug the car in most weeknights since i charge at work. i'm not concerned of course, just trying to be appropriately educated.

thanks!

hi there,

i'm a new (<2 week) owner so still very new to the amazing Model S experience. i've been tracking my daily SOC for a variety of reasons, and noticed that my morning SOC is typically ~3 mi of rated range lower than where i left it after my daily commute home the evening before. in other words, when i park in the evening it might read 203 mi rated range, and the next morning it would be 200. is this simply due to the ambient temperature? the temperature differential is on the order of ~15 degrees lately (i.e. 70F in the evening, 55F in the morning). note that i don't plug the car in most weeknights since i charge at work. i'm not concerned of course, just trying to be appropriately educated.

thanks!

Temperature may be a factor, but most likely it's due to what's commonly referred to as "vampire drain". There is always a low level of energy being used that keeps critical systems awake.
You should check your settings to make sure the car is set to sleep when not in use, which will help minimize the amount of drain.

thanks, evan. i assumed vampire drain could be a contributor but wouldn't have guessed it was that high. i will check the settings for sure.

Temperature may be a factor, but most likely it's due to what's commonly referred to as "vampire drain". There is always a low level of energy being used that keeps critical systems awake.
You should check your settings to make sure the car is set to sleep when not in use, which will help minimize the amount of drain.

thanks, evan. i assumed vampire drain could be a contributor but wouldn't have guessed it was that high. i will check the settings for sure.

I'd say that 2-3 over night is pretty typical. It depends a bit when you charge as well. I charge at 3:30am...if it takes a while to charge (started with lower SOC) then my rated range will be a bit higher when I get in to drive. If I had minimal charging to do, then it'll settle out and be a mile or two lower. There's probably some stabilization of the charge level shortly after charging.

I am a new owner myself and have had limited time to experiment with this.

Relative to the energy saving feature, please note that per the manual (p. 60 in pdf) the car will go into an energy saving state between 10 PM and 5 AM even if the energy saving feature is off. Turning the feature on is most useful to minimize the vampire drain during the day, which explains why mknox experienced a slightly higher loss over a 22 hour period than would be expected from the typical overnight loss. The night time energy saving state also explains why the "Always stay connected" selection is enabled even when the energy saving feature is off, since the connection delay only applies when the car is in an energy saving state.