Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal 240V Circuit Install Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finally getting around to setting up appts for quotes to install my Wall Charger. So far, one of the Tesla certified electricians in my area, that is listed on Tesla's website, is able to do remote quotes. This is a snippet from an email I got from A-EV Installs...

"To install a new 240 Volt circuit for an EV charger up to 60 Amps, we typically charge $525 total within 5 feet of your main electric panel. This includes an industrial-grade NEMA outlet and/or assembly, mounting and programming of your wall unit.

For every additional foot of pipe and wire, if necessary, we typically* charge $12/foot to your desired location. * Extra charges may apply to crawl spaces and circuits larger than 60 Amps.

If you would like us to get you a permit including all the necessary paperwork, we charge $150-250 plus your city's permit fee. Ask us about your city requirements and costs.

To confirm your quote* please use the link below to submit all requested pictures:"

Right, now, I plan to install the charger on the opposite wall of my 2 bay garage. I've got another electrician coming later in the week and will see how their quote compares to A-EV, but I really like how A-EV can give you an easy breakdown of costs without even visiting...assuming the install will be straightforward. For anyone in SoCal, looking to get a 240v line installed, the above info can be used to gauge a ballpark expense.

Some people do the NEMA outlet with their install. Maybe that's something you don't need. I've done a fair amount of electrical in my life. I think the wall charger looks cleaner without an extra outlet. This is something any electrician can do, you don't need a Tesla certified installer. I wouldn't get a permit either. The programming you can do yourself it's really simple if you can connect to a wifi network you can do it. I did my own install it took me around 1 hour and cost me a $20 in materials, everything you can get from Home Depot, I used 6 gauge for everything including the ground. It's just a 3 wire install. Just make sure you find a stud to mount the charger.

Just as long as you're cool with praying you don't ever have an electrical fire caused by unpermitted work. Or, the buyer of your property has a fire caused by your unpermitted work.

Sure, odds are that your work is fine and safe, but why risk it for a few bucks?

I agree with you but this type of install from a licensed electrician is no harder for them than installing a dimmer switch in your kitchen. I wasn’t going to pay the city an extra $150 and take two full days off of work for them to say yes you can put it there then come out again to say yes the wires are in the proper spot.

I had 3 quotes and the only company that required me to get a permit was also the company charging $600 to put the 14-50 outlet within 3ft if the panel. They were the number one company recommended by Tesla too, what a sham. The other two companies quoted $300 and $375, both had appts two weeks out doing the same type of installs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
I used a non-Tesla certified electrician that I've used on other jobs. It took him 70 minutes from start to finish and about $30 worth of materials. He did not commission the charger. It took me 20 minutes to read the commissioning instructions and then do it. Everything works well theoretically. Now all I need is my Model Y.

Reactions: Matsayz
Some people do the NEMA outlet with their install. Maybe that's something you don't need. I've done a fair amount of electrical in my life. I think the wall charger looks cleaner without an extra outlet. This is something any electrician can do, you don't need a Tesla certified installer. I wouldn't get a permit either. The programming you can do yourself it's really simple if you can connect to a wifi network you can do it. I did my own install it took me around 1 hour and cost me a $20 in materials, everything you can get from Home Depot, I used 6 gauge for everything including the ground. It's just a 3 wire install. Just make sure you find a stud to mount the charger.
Only three wires? No neutral required for the Wall Connector?

On the question of permit, just a warning that it really depends on what city you live in. Mine absolutely required a permit for this (inspector is actually coming tomorrow). If you don't get a permit when one was required, an insurance company could easily use that as a reason not to cover your losses or you could have problems selling the house later if the buyer has a savvy home inspector.

Reactions: rxlawdude
On the question of permit, just a warning that it really depends on what city you live in. Mine absolutely required a permit for this (inspector is actually coming tomorrow). If you don't get a permit when one was required, an insurance company could easily use that as a reason not to cover your losses or you could have problems selling the house later if the buyer has a savvy home inspector.

I know people in the insurance business from the agents to the adjusters. They told me this is an old wise tale that they've never seen happen. There are too many variables and the worst they've seen happen is that you get dropped after you get paid out. You can search around and draw your own conclusions and make your own decisions. I just am stating what I did and what I would do so just take it for what it is then do what's best for you.

For me it was barely a step above running an extension cord. I think those reverse osmosis water filters people install in their homes without a permit pose a far greater risk than running 3 wires to my electrical box.

Has anyone had experience with a separate TOU meter install?
The SDGE web pages aren't very helpful.

(My Y is ordered)
Is there any advantage over the EV-TOU-2 (or likely even better EV-TOU-5) schedule that doesn't need a separate meter?

The EV-TOU rate does allow the rest of the house to stay on the current rate, but I'd think that EV-TOU-5 with a much lower super off-peak cost (plus $16 monthly fixed cost) would easily be better in almost all cases. You only need around 100 kWh per month of EV charging to break even with EV-TOU5, and any electricity over that is only 9c/kWh (ignoring the impact on the cost for the rest of the house).

Right now I am on TOU-DR (I have solar, but it's better than DR-SES for me) but will change to EV-TOU-5 once my 12 month commitment is over.

Last edited:
Gen 3 Wall Connector finally installed! Installers came a few minutes before the appt time...I should point out they also arrived on time for the initial quote too. This installer was originally the highest quote of the bunch, and also happens to be the first one listed on Tesla's "Find an Electrician" in my area. With that said, they were happy to match the lowest quote I received. The total run was around 35 feet from the breaker box. I'm charging at 37 miles/hr, versus 4 miles/hr on the standard wall outlet. Total cost came out to mid-$700. No sub-contractors, and on-time, not a window of time...big win in my book.

Reactions: Keester97
That Tesla-approved quote is pretty much in line with what I paid in 2015. My mistake was thinking a Tesla-approved electrician would be better than any competent, licensed electrician. In retrospect, could have saved about 30% off of what I paid.

When I installed our HPWC, I obtained for 5+ quotes. The ones on teh Tesla "list" were the highest by far. Finally just went with a local, licensed and bonded electrician. (I had already purchased the HPWC from a SC.)

Installing a 240 outlet in a garage is extremely basic and something any decent electrical can perform.

Has anyone had experience with a separate TOU meter install?
The SDGE web pages aren't very helpful.

Looked into it when SoCal Edison had a rebate, but still could not justify the cost. Call a local electrician for a quote.

I used a non-Tesla certified electrician that I've used on other jobs. It took him 70 minutes from start to finish and about $30 worth of materials. He did not commission the charger. It took me 20 minutes to read the commissioning instructions and then do it. Everything works well theoretically. Now all I need is my Model Y.
Have you had any issue during the commissioning? I cannot find the wall connector wifi, tried turn the power off/on or hold the charge button for 5 seconds. I even tried 2 phones and 1 laptop, non of them can find the tesla wall connector wifi.

Gen 3 Wall Connector finally installed! Installers came a few minutes before the appt time...I should point out they also arrived on time for the initial quote too. This installer was originally the highest quote of the bunch, and also happens to be the first one listed on Tesla's "Find an Electrician" in my area. With that said, they were happy to match the lowest quote I received. The total run was around 35 feet from the breaker box. I'm charging at 37 miles/hr, versus 4 miles/hr on the standard wall outlet. Total cost came out to mid-$700. No sub-contractors, and on-time, not a window of time...big win in my book.

Great, glad it worked out. Always nice when a plan comes together (and the contractor arrives on time, haha!!)

I've got an electrician coming out this Saturday to install a second NEMA 14-50 for my wife's MY. That way, we both have a charger and don't have to worry about sharing. She will have the Gen 3 Wall Connector, and I'll keep using my old-school 6-year-old Schneider Electric EVSE with an adapter for my MY (whenever it gets here, haha!!).