Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal Delivery Times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just ordered a MYLR white/white after the price drop on 1/13. I’ve seen people get delivery dates as soon as 2 days after their order day. Has anyone in SoCal gotten a delivery date yet? This is my first Tesla so I’m not familiar with how accurate these wait times are but I hear negative things about Tesla’s ETA. Also how soon should I secure financing? I believe credit unions and banks give you a 60 day window. If delivery dates aren’t that accurate should I wait a few days before to secure financing? I know I will get approved so not too worried about that. TIA for all your responses.

I'm in San Diego and needed a new car but thought the MY was getting overpriced. I woke up on Friday the 13th to see the massive price cut and $7,500 tax incentive, so I quickly placed an order by 8 am. At the time of the order, it estimated my delivery between January and March. I was assigned a VIN just 2 days later (Sunday) and they were willing to deliver direct to my house today (Tuesday), but I pushed it out to Friday. I'm suspecting there was a mad rush of orders placed over the last five days, so it's really hard to know how long your wait will be with a backlog of orders. I already have Tesla Solar and a Model 3 and also said I was paying in cash, so I can't help but wonder if perhaps that gave me some priority?

I should also add that shortly after I placed my custom order, I looked at local inventory and there were only a few vehicles but one was the exact same vehicle I ordered. A couple hours later it was gone, perhaps Tesla just assigned it to me?

I believe you have 7 days to schedule delivery after a VIN is assigned. If you think you can get a loan in place within a week, perhaps just wait? Or if you are like me and only want the car if you get the full tax incentive before 3/31, you are probably safe to start the 60-day window in a couple week (very end of January).

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboi
I'm in San Diego and needed a new car but thought the MY was getting overpriced. I woke up on Friday the 13th to see the massive price cut and $7,500 tax incentive, so I quickly placed an order by 8 am. At the time of the order, it estimated my delivery between January and March. I was assigned a VIN just 2 days later (Sunday) and they were willing to deliver direct to my house today (Tuesday), but I pushed it out to Friday. I'm suspecting there was a mad rush of orders placed over the last five days, so it's really hard to know how long your wait will be with a backlog of orders. I already have Tesla Solar and a Model 3 and also said I was paying in cash, so I can't help but wonder if perhaps that gave me some priority?

I should also add that shortly after I placed my custom order, I looked at local inventory and there were only a few vehicles but one was the exact same vehicle I ordered. A couple hours later it was gone, perhaps Tesla just assigned it to me?

I believe you have 7 days to schedule delivery after a VIN is assigned. If you think you can get a loan in place within a week, perhaps just wait? Or if you are like me and only want the car if you get the full tax incentive before 3/31, you are probably safe to start the 60-day window in a couple week (very end of January).
Hmmmm that’s an interesting point about the local inventory being assigned to people. I just got an EDD today for 2/8-3/15. Pretty big window I hope it narrows down so I can get financing in time but not too early if the car is delayed. Worst case I’ll just pay cash and refi later.

Hi, I placed an order for model y on 19th (white, no customizations). Now it says the timeframe of march 5-march 31. Do you know if based on recent experience if tesla estimates are fairly accurate? I am hoping that I don’t miss out on the federal incentives.

I ordered on the 13th soon after the price cuts went live. I was assigned a VIN the next day because they had existing inventory on the lot (Kansas-City). I'm fairly positive anything that was on the lot that qualified for the tax credit is long gone. With the huge increase in demand it's hard to say exactly when someone putting an order in now will get it fulfilled. I wouldn't be surprised if new orders get pushed past March.

EDIT: Ahhh, saw this was posted on the 16th. That's not too far out after the price cut (thought you just placed an order now). Hopefully you get a VIN soon!

Hi, I placed an order for model y on 19th (white, no customizations). Now it says the timeframe of march 5-march 31. Do you know if based on recent experience if tesla estimates are fairly accurate? I am hoping that I don’t miss out on the federal incentives.
Yes that time frame seems to be accurate. As you get closer to the EDD your time frame will shorten to 2 weeks, then a week, then you can schedule the actual delivery date. When it gets shortened to 2 weeks the dates could be pushed back by a few days or up to a week is what I’ve seen but it has been still before the initial time frame they gave you. In your case, you could get an EDD of Mar 5 - Mar 19 and then see it potentially go to Mar 8 - Mar 22 but it’ll still be before the Mar 31 date. That’s just my observation. Could be different outcome based on all kinds of variables

Anyone got EDD for MYP orders? The wait for the MYLR might be too long and I might miss the cut for tax credit. Thinking about just picking up the MYP instead.
I don’t think you’ll miss out on the tax credit. I’m fairly certain the credits will run at least a few more months past March. If it does, you can always switch to MYP since those get fulfilled faster and there’s some existing inventory too at least in SoCal

I don’t think you’ll miss out on the tax credit. I’m fairly certain the credits will run at least a few more months past March. If it does, you can always switch to MYP since those get fulfilled faster and there’s some existing inventory too at least in SoCal

After writing this, I found an MYP in inventory on a build I wanted. So I just went ahead and got it assigned. Was a bit bummed I would miss the $7500 tax credit but glad I lucked out and the IRS changed it 2 days later to $80k. My EDD is 2/6 - 2/15. Super excited.

Reactions: sdq_11 and bigboi
Ordered MY White with black interior on 1/14. EDD was 1/28 - 2/10, changed interior to white and EDD pushed out to 2/20 - 3/20. Seems white interior is taking longer to deliver