Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal Nema 14-50 Installation Recommendations???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. If the circuit breaker is on the same wall as the charger and not too far away, should cost around $250 total, assuming you have enough capacity in your panel etc.

I just bought a new home and luckily the previous owner had just updated the capacity of the panel however its a good 50-75ft away from where I will be charging. I've received two quotes of $1200 and $1500. I received another of about $1900 but that one included permits. But each of those quotes I told them was needed for an EV vehicle and eventually told them it was for a Tesla.

I just bought a new home and luckily the previous owner had just updated the capacity of the panel however its a good 50-75ft away from where I will be charging. I've received two quotes of $1200 and $1500. I received another of about $1900 but that one included permits. But each of those quotes I told them was needed for an EV vehicle and eventually told them it was for a Tesla.

Sounds about right for pricing then for a longer run.

Hi BOBEDIGITL,

If your proposed location was near your utility/Laundry room and you use an electric dryer...
There could be potential for sharing that circuit.

Good luck and Good Job for planning ahead,

Shawn

Hi ShawA,

Unfortunately for me, my dryer is of the gas variety. Appreciate the tip though!
Is there such a thing as extension cord for NEMA 14-50 240V? :p

I wish it were that easy!!!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I have already ordered the Tesla wall charger. I was planning to run about 75' of #6 wire off a 60 Amp breaker in my panel. Even though I have a 200A service panel, I might be overloaded and not able to install a charger with the current panel configuration. I called the Building and Safety people (They issue the permit) and they are working with me to identify what I need to do to complete the installation. I like to spec out all the details of a project before bringing in a contractor to do the work. If all goes well, I might do the work myself. If I need another power panel, I'm screwed, as the cost will be much more than I had planned. I think it is pretty important to get a permit because there is a lot that can go wrong with 240V!