TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SoCal SCE power outages

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Az_Rael, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Just found out I am on one of the maps for the possible SCE outage during the upcoming wind event.

Just switched my powerwalls over to backup mode, they are charging up now. Wish I had known about this earlier, could have turned off my AC before leaving for work in anticipation to reduce the drain rate. Ah well.

Overall, I am interested in seeing how the system performs in a real life use case should we get power shut off.

Previously I have gotten text messages from SCE when I was in a zone, but this time I haven't seen any, so only found out when I checked the website maps. Too bad storm watch isnt tied to this.

2. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Ask for a NEST for your next birthday?

3. Az_Rael

Unfortunately our AC thermostat unit is not compatible with Nest or Ecobee, etc. Have to hire an HVAC guy to run new wires from the unit in the attic down to the thermostat. Dang Carrier proprietary system.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

Storm Watch should keep your PWs charged as if you're in backup mode.

I have to keep turning off SW here in order to drain/charge my PWs off solar.

5. Az_Rael

Right, but these potential outages aren't part of storm watch. So I had to manually switch to backup mode. Not sure where the storm watch data comes from, but it wasn't catching this event at my house.

Power is out over the hill from us now, will see what other areas SCE powers down tonight.