Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal to Bay Area Supercharging Route - Suggestions Requested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y Owner here, essentially cross posting this for more exposure to more users as I think this would help find more people who may have route inputs.

Hey all. Planning a road trip from SoCal to the Bay Area, and back.

Typically in the past, I’ve charged to 100% at home, and stopped at Harris Ranch. I usually arrive with sub 5% battery, and have to baby it a bit with the uphill climbs and lack of regen to that point, so having to stay under 75 on the freeway.

I then charge to 100% at Harris Ranch (they have such a mega insane stall setup now, so I’m never causing any hold ups for anyone).

I then usually arrive in the Bay Area with around 20% or less SOC.

I don’t necessarily get range anxiety, I get “going to a new random supercharger station” anxiety. Not being able to find it, being a pain to get in to, being super super busy and having to wait, etc, hence why I’ve stuck to my Harris Ranch single stop as I know there will always be a full speed charger available, guaranteed, and there’s great food available too.

Would like some thoughts on this 100% SOC -> sub 5% -> 100 SOC -> sub 20% SOC… I pretty much already know the answer… potential for increased battery degradation, but I shouldn’t worry too about it, etc, but still would like to hear your thoughts.

If anyone has a reliable supercharging route to head from Long Beach to the East Bay Area I’d love to hear it.

Have you tried ABRP? https://abetterrouteplanner.com If you run some simulations using their real-world data, you'll get an idea of what works for you, how certain ideas are faster than others, etc.

You can also see how far off the interstate the superchargers are, to reduce some of that new supercharger anxiety. I actually will look on Apple Maps or Google Maps to see where the actual charging pedestals are located. In general, since there are so many of them on your route, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

If you can overcome your new supercharger location anxiety, then I would say your charging strategy is suboptimal for fast trip times, not to mention a sub-5% destination charge can be closer to negative if the temps get cold or the winds are against you. You should give yourself a bigger buffer. I like 10 to 15%.

As for degradation, I don't worry about it if you're roadtripping. First and foremost, you need to get where you're going.

So, just punching in some basic data into ABRP, I see that all the recommended stops are right along the highway, and should be easy to get off, find the charger, and hop right back on.

Reactions: vanjwilson
Have you tried ABRP? https://abetterrouteplanner.com If you run some simulations using their real-world data, you'll get an idea of what works for you, how certain ideas are faster than others, etc.

You can also see how far off the interstate the superchargers are, to reduce some of that new supercharger anxiety. I actually will look on Apple Maps or Google Maps to see where the actual charging pedestals are located. In general, since there are so many of them on your route, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

If you can overcome your new supercharger location anxiety, then I would say your charging strategy is suboptimal for fast trip times, not to mention a sub-5% destination charge can be closer to negative if the temps get cold or the winds are against you. You should give yourself a bigger buffer. I like 10 to 15%.

As for degradation, I don't worry about it if you're roadtripping. First and foremost, you need to get where you're going.

So, just punching in some basic data into ABRP, I see that all the recommended stops are right along the highway, and should be easy to get off, find the charger, and hop right back on.
Thanks for that awesome tool and I will be sure to give it a try, and thanks for your input.

Thanks for that awesome tool and I will be sure to give it a try, and thanks for your input.
While I agree with @KenC about ABRP and use it in the comfort of my home there's not too much wrong with what you have in your car. Put your destination in the Nav bar and follow the directions. I still prefer shorter more frequent stops and that is one option available in ABRP.

Last edited:
Both ABRP and your car will plan a route for you, and they will plan one better than you have done. You should only charge to 100% if you truly need it, ie. you are going into remote areas, or there is a very long gap to your next available charger.
What you are doing not only is bad for your battery, it's time consuming. Yes, you might do one less stop but the chargers along I-5 are right close to the highway and plentiful. Recharge when you hit 20% and go up to 90%, even 80%.

ABRP will even do a plan for you that doesn't have you charge to more than about 50-60%. That is actually the fastest in terms of charge time, though it loses in the detours to and from the stations. But those are short on I-5 so these plans can win. And as I said, better for your battery with LNC batteries, though LFP batteries as you probably have, going to 100% is more acceptable -- but still slow.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I went from Bay Area to socal. What I did was charge to 100% front Fremont, then stop for 5 mins near kettleman, then 8 mins in the Bakersfield charger on the 5. It gets me home with 10% left. Fast and efficient. Each stop coincided with bathroom breaks.