Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal: Tricked Out 75D or Bare 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my first MS75 6 months ago and it's been a game changer! Looking to get an MX for the wife now and need advice on what to get.
Being that we live in Socal and have warm weather all year, I'm thinking a 75D will be good enough considering my MS75 is fine for our needs but hear that the MX does not get nearly as close to advertised range as an MS.

We live 10 miles from work in the OC but do visit friends in SD and her family is in Santa Clarita. We should be able to use 110V at both destinations to extend range by ~30mi overnight.

My ideal config would be to get blue, 6 seater (white), PUP, and EAP which puts the cost just under 100k or I can get a 100D, 5 seats and EAP for about the same.

Thoughts?

Do you plan on taking more road trips or enjoying the car for day to day local driving? The extra range of the 100D, and more importantly, the improved supercharging time up to the average of 150-200RM vs the 75D may save you as much as half the charging time.

But OTOH if you road trip once or twice a year and the other 700 days you use the car for commuting 10-20 miles, i would personally rather have the options I really wanted.

Being in somewhat similar shoes as you are in now, (tricked out 60D or 90D with significantly less options last June) I sprung for the former. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, especially regarding your range issues, or lack thereof. Plus that 6 seater profile is pretty nice vs the ho-hum 5 seat config, granted the 5 seater can collapse into a cavern of storage space.

I guess it just comes down to ranges issues. I suggest you arrange a weekend-long test drive on a MX75 and attempt your Santa Clarita trip and see how it fares.

Bought my first MS75 6 months ago and it's been a game changer! Looking to get an MX for the wife now and need advice on what to get.
Being that we live in Socal and have warm weather all year, I'm thinking a 75D will be good enough considering my MS75 is fine for our needs but hear that the MX does not get nearly as close to advertised range as an MS.

We live 10 miles from work in the OC but do visit friends in SD and her family is in Santa Clarita. We should be able to use 110V at both destinations to extend range by ~30mi overnight.

My ideal config would be to get blue, 6 seater (white), PUP, and EAP which puts the cost just under 100k or I can get a 100D, 5 seats and EAP for about the same.

Thoughts?
As long as you pair the 20" wheels with the 75D you will at least mitigate the range difference. I am averaging 340 w/hr/miles at 6,000 miles. I am by no means a conservative driver. I rarely adjust my driving to extend range; cruise at 72 in a 65 or 80 in a 75 but more at 72. Many more city miles than highway. My son lives in SoCal. So, I am there several times a years. Beside the rude Cali cut-offs, my driving is similar in nature...Cali cut-off = didn't they see me at three times their speed before deciding to cut me off.

This is all subjective and based on personal preference and what your priorities are.

However I personally would choose the higher optioned car which I would enjoy 7 days a week rather than a bigger battery which may only come in play once a month or so (whenever road tripping). Because you live in the Supercharger rich socal, adding a 5-10 minute charging stop would equal all the benefits gained by the bigger battery.

To validate this I would play around with evtripplanner and try out various situations and rates of charge on routes you usually take to get a good idea of the difference between the two battery sizes

Thanks guys for all the inputs. Sounds like 75D w/ options is the way to go.

We probably go to Santa Clarita 4 times a year and SD once every 6-8 weeks.

I suppose my MS w/ free SC would suffice (although I've never had to go to a SC site thus far).

One question to consider is if you are going to consider hooking up a trailer to it and going cross country someday. That's where a 100D will significantly outperform the 75D.

You can also look at how many people you transport and see if 7 seat 75D is a possibility too. Very happy to get rid of a van and a Q5 since the MX basically addressed most use cases for us.

Why not go with a 6-seater 90D? Better range and power than a 75D, and still get the options you value. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems pretty obvious to go with the middle option instead of the extremes.

The 90D -> 100D upgrade is very cost effective. People gave up free super charging to pay for this choice.

The 90D seemed to be the worst in terms of $/miles and is only 20mi more which doesn't seem like that much to me.

I will probably never drive cross country. The longest drive I may do is from OC to SF to visit my family.

Wife is coming from a Prius so I doubt she will notice missing the extra power.

Reactions: SM18
The 90D seemed to be the worst in terms of $/miles and is only 20mi more which doesn't seem like that much to me.

I will probably never drive cross country. The longest drive I may do is from OC to SF to visit my family.

Wife is coming from a Prius so I doubt she will notice missing the extra power.

Does the X buy you anything other than just being different than the S? If you mentioned the 5 seat X being a possibility, the S is just a cheaper, faster, and longer range car for a lower price all around.

I would suggest taking a good long look at what the PUP has that you feel is beneficial. I ended up with a 6 seat 100D with just EAP. I felt that extra range is always good, and the only feature in PUP I would like is the biodefense mode. The autopresenting doors seem like they would be helpful sometimes, but get in the way enough times that I would end up disabling it. Interior lights are quickly fixed (improved actually) by the lights from abstract ocean. And I can't remember the last time I used the fog lights. Finally, the turning lights are near useless for city/suburban driving.

Even if you go with the 75D, I'd consider ditching the PUP and putting the money towards an Xpel wrap to protect the paint. Anyways, just my two cents worth.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
I would suggest taking a good long look at what the PUP has that you feel is beneficial. I ended up with a 6 seat 100D with just EAP. I felt that extra range is always good, and the only feature in PUP I would like is the biodefense mode. The autopresenting doors seem like they would be helpful sometimes, but get in the way enough times that I would end up disabling it. Interior lights are quickly fixed (improved actually) by the lights from abstract ocean. And I can't remember the last time I used the fog lights. Finally, the turning lights are near useless for city/suburban driving.

Even if you go with the 75D, I'd consider ditching the PUP and putting the money towards an Xpel wrap to protect the paint. Anyways, just my two cents worth.

Thx this is really good feedback and I myself wonder if PUP is necessary (just feels odd spending this much on a luxury car and not getting luxury like items). Do show rooms have cars with and without PUP? I guess I will need to call and find out.

Thx this is really good feedback and I myself wonder if PUP is necessary (just feels odd spending this much on a luxury car and not getting luxury like items). Do show rooms have cars with and without PUP? I guess I will need to call and find out.
To me the biggest upsell of PUP is the extra materials, leather accents dash and such. I do like the extra lighting under seat and doors. Since I live in the country, the adaptive lighting is a plus. The auto presenting doors with the ability to open driver and passenger door with fob is also a plus but lower on the list. I mainly got the PUP for the ventilated seats which is well worth it in Texas with the heat and humidity. The only item I would not use much is the biohazard. Again based on where I live. To me the leather accents and seats is most likely the luxury cost and is in line with other manufactures with upgraded leather options. But, with all that said, PUP is totally a preference item and can save you $ if you are looking for other options. It is well worth the cost if it is in your budget. I like the xpel idea in contrast if you will be keeping the car for an extended length of time.

To me the biggest upsell of PUP is the extra materials, leather accents dash and such. I do like the extra lighting under seat and doors. Since I live in the country, the adaptive lighting is a plus. The auto presenting doors with the ability to open driver and passenger door with fob is also a plus but lower on the list. I mainly got the PUP for the ventilated seats which is well worth it in Texas with the heat and humidity. The only item I would not use much is the biohazard. Again based on where I live. To me the leather accents and seats is most likely the luxury cost and is in line with other manufactures with upgraded leather options. But, with all that said, PUP is totally a preference item and can save you $ if you are looking for other options. It is well worth the cost if it is in your budget. I like the xpel idea in contrast if you will be keeping the car for an extended length of time.

One day I'll head to a showroom and really look for what the leather accents and such are. I don't have them, but the interior seems fine (at least not cheap). On second thoughts, maybe it's better not to know what I'm missing. Rush6410 is probably right about the biodefense mode. Sounds nice, but no idea how useful. Finally, don't forget the ventilated seats are no longer available.

See if you can get an overnight test drive. Then you can take your time looking over the extras without a salesperson hanging out behind you. After the 60 minute mark ... awkward. :)

Check out this thread as well regarding the ambient lights:

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

Just did an overnight test drive with a 100D w/ PUP, EAP, 6-Seat/White. Feels like you're in a spaceship!

Still very much torn on what to do after experiencing the car the way I would option it. Rational side still says to get 100D sans PUP/White Seats but man were all the options cool. EAP seemed much smoother than AP1 in terms of braking in traffic but was non-existent/disabled on local streets.

I calculated the mileage from my house to Santa Clarita and to SD and they are both exactly 150mi RT. If I charge to 100% for these trip, seems like I would still be OK even with the AC and driving ~75mph. Can anyone comment on whether or not I'm off base here? I'm expecting to be able to get 190miles if I charge to 100% and drive comfortably. Again, I will probably only make this trip once every 6-8 weeks.

Finally, the OA told me that the 100D price will increase by $5500 tonight but everything that I'm reading online says it's only $1000. Can anyone confirm? I'm not ready to pull the trigger just quite yet so this pushes the 100D further out of reach.

Last edited: