Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal: Tricked Out 75D or Bare 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did an overnight test drive with a 100D w/ PUP, EAP, 6-Seat/White. Feels like you're in a spaceship!

Still very much torn on what to do after experiencing the car the way I would option it. Rational side still says to get 100D sans PUP/White Seats but man were all the options cool. EAP seemed much smoother than AP1 in terms of braking in traffic but was non-existent/disabled on local streets.

I calculated the mileage from my house to Santa Clarita and to SD and they are both exactly 150mi RT. If I charge to 100% for these trip, seems like I would still be OK even with the AC and driving ~75mph. Can anyone comment on whether or not I'm off base here? I'm expecting to be able to get 190miles if I charge to 100% and drive comfortably. Again, I will probably only make this trip once every 6-8 weeks.

Finally, the OA told me that the 100D price will increase by $5500 tonight but everything that I'm reading online says it's only $1000. Can anyone confirm? I'm not ready to pull the trigger just quite yet so this pushes the 100D further out of reach.
Hopefully you got this confirmed elsewhere before you made a premature decision, but the X 100D increase is $1,000, not $5k. It's the performance 100D goes up substantially, and by $10k. I don't think you need to rush yourself for that amount of money.

I calculated the mileage from my house to Santa Clarita and to SD and they are both exactly 150mi RT. If I charge to 100% for these trip, seems like I would still be OK even with the AC and driving ~75mph. Can anyone comment on whether or not I'm off base here? I'm expecting to be able to get 190miles if I charge to 100% and drive comfortably. Again, I will probably only make this trip once every 6-8 weeks.

Assuming you live somewhere in LA, you should be fine to SD. I've found that rated miles times 0.8 is pretty close to actual miles with AC and 75mph. To Santa Clarita is a bit different since you've got to go over that mountain. You're probably okay, but I haven't done it enough to tell you for sure one way or another.

Reactions: Ph33zy
Assuming you live somewhere in LA, you should be fine to SD. I've found that rated miles times 0.8 is pretty close to actual miles with AC and 75mph. To Santa Clarita is a bit different since you've got to go over that mountain. You're probably okay, but I haven't done it enough to tell you for sure one way or another.

Thx.. I'm in Irvine so right in the middle of both places.

Bought my first MS75 6 months ago and it's been a game changer! Looking to get an MX for the wife now and need advice on what to get.
Being that we live in Socal and have warm weather all year, I'm thinking a 75D will be good enough considering my MS75 is fine for our needs but hear that the MX does not get nearly as close to advertised range as an MS.

We live 10 miles from work in the OC but do visit friends in SD and her family is in Santa Clarita. We should be able to use 110V at both destinations to extend range by ~30mi overnight.

My ideal config would be to get blue, 6 seater (white), PUP, and EAP which puts the cost just under 100k or I can get a 100D, 5 seats and EAP for about the same.

Thoughts?

We have a MS60D and a MX75D. If you're ok with your MS, you should be ok with the MX75D. The consumption is a good amount higher on the MX, but you should still be ok. If you don't use the battery or dont appreciate the extra acceleration, get the 6 seater in a 75D

I had to laugh at the suggestion to get the 100D because it has more power. I went from an Honda Odyssey minivan (4 cyl.) to the X 75D. I can't imagine needing more power. I am a slow driver in general but am often tempted to "fly off the line at a stop line." There is not ICE car that is ever even close (well there was this guy in a Cayenne that by the third stop light put it in Ludicrous mode and beat me).

I am about to travel from So Cal up to Oregon, plenty of Super Chargers. We take our time travelling so I don't care about 5 to 10 minutes more charging time in a 75 rather than a 100D. I think the idea to get the 75D and use the money for paint and seat protection is a good one...or just use the $ to take an extra family vacation.

I had a similar talk with myself when I got mine. A fully loaded 6 seater 75D for like 105k or 90D with white seats 7 seater, tow package and EAP. So glad I spent the extra 10k and went without PUP and UHFS. Especially now that bio defense can be retrofit.

To me the biggest upsell of PUP is the extra materials, leather accents dash and such. I do like the extra lighting under seat and doors. Since I live in the country, the adaptive lighting is a plus. The auto presenting doors with the ability to open driver and passenger door with fob is also a plus but lower on the list. I mainly got the PUP for the ventilated seats which is well worth it in Texas with the heat and humidity. The only item I would not use much is the biohazard. Again based on where I live. To me the leather accents and seats is most likely the luxury cost and is in line with other manufactures with upgraded leather options. But, with all that said, PUP is totally a preference item and can save you $ if you are looking for other options. It is well worth the cost if it is in your budget. I like the xpel idea in contrast if you will be keeping the car for an extended length of time.

That's funny because the extra leather I could not have cared less about. I chose PUP for the auto doors, ventilated seats, and bioweapon defense mode. I use the auto doors all the time. Ventilated seats are great in Georgia as well. And bioweapon mode is great in metro Atlanta with smoke spewing trucks around. Just goes to show everyone has different priorities and one should choose the options to match their priorities.

The 90D seemed to be the worst in terms of $/miles and is only 20mi more which doesn't seem like that much to me.

I will probably never drive cross country. The longest drive I may do is from OC to SF to visit my family.

Wife is coming from a Prius so I doubt she will notice missing the extra power.

20 miles would have been the difference between reaching my destination and waiting for a tow truck on at least a half a dozen instances already in my first year of ownership. I definitely would have taken a 100D over 90D, but it was not available when I ordered. I do live where Superchargers are much farther away from each other though, so it is harder for me to quantify the time penalty of a 75D on the west coast.

Where do you live? They're doubling the number of Superchargers this year, and more than doubling in CA. How often do you find yourself driving more than 3 hours nonstop in a day? For the times you do, unless you live in North Dakota, I think you'll be well covered by Superchargers.

Get the loaded 75D. Why haul around all that extra battery you'll never need day-to-day for the one off time you might be inconvenienced if you do?

To OP, really long road trips, and if you do them regularly... my family take frequent stops and the longest stretch we ever did was probably 200 miles. We planned our trips to be more relaxing type and well for stops and charging, including destination charging or Supercharging. The EV driving style is very different than ICE--I can round trip Palo Alto and Westwood in a day, less than 4 hours one direction and non stop, in an Acura with speed and efficiency and range all well balanced. There will be more and more Superchargers, so I think a loaded 75 is all you need. If you really want range, but not an ICE car, get an S or wait to see if a Model 3 100kWh can get you 400 miles!

For up and down the hills, the regen in Tesla is very good... downhill actually charges the car, so don't worry too much about the uphills (plus you don't drive aggressively).

Last edited:
I had to laugh at the suggestion to get the 100D because it has more power. I went from an Honda Odyssey minivan (4 cyl.) to the X 75D. I can't imagine needing more power. I am a slow driver in general but am often tempted to "fly off the line at a stop line." There is not ICE car that is ever even close (well there was this guy in a Cayenne that by the third stop light put it in Ludicrous mode and beat me).

Everything is relative to what you are used to. Your answer is the Honda Odyssey, which - I might add - is one of those oddities of Tesla. Lacking BEV options, people come to Teslas from such different backgrounds. I'm probably a rather ordinary Tesla buyer in the sense that going from Audi A8 to Model S seems like a normal kind of lateral move in car purchasing. Both are roughly in similar price and size brackets. But I feel at times a minority, when a lot of people seems to come from, say, a Prius to Model S - and not just as an upgrade that reflects increased income, but as an exceptional move that they don't expect to repeat, just to get a large-battery BEV. (By their next purchase there may be a cheaper large-battery BEV that fits their regular buying pattern better.)

Anyway, back to the point:

After getting used to the Model S P85 for the past two+ years, most everything seems sluggish in comparison. The way your average ICE spools up from 0 to something before it gets going is the biggest differentiator. I have a couple of ICEs and they went from perky to dorky in no time because of this. Also I was driving an Audi A8 prior to the P85 and it was no slouch (0-60 was around 5 seconds flat I recall), but P85 moved the bar forward. The immediate torque is the biggest part of that and I think the captivating silence also adds to it.

Having gotten used to that level of P85, though, I find the non-Performance Tesla's rather soft. Judging by opinion on TMC, this seems to be a common theme. Even the 90D/100D that on paper - on Model S - have similar performance as Model S P85, the power delivery feels of different nature, though the stability of the AWD can not be disputed of course. I would buy a 100D vs. a P85 were they current options and I had to choose between them, of course, but it can not be disputed that the Performance Teslas have been adjusted to be on a different level still. And there is a difference between the smaller battery non-Performance and larger battery non-Performance as well.

But what has been still missing from all of these, really, has been the top-end performance. If you need to take over a car, my old P85 was not really much better than my Audi A8, although both were of course far, far, far above the average. A lot of performance ICEs take the cake at higher speeds compared to most Teslas, that can not be disputed. You don't even need the dreaded autobahn to make this point. If you come from a Porsche Cayenne (let alone a 911) to a Tesla, even a low-end one may surprise you positively from 0-30, but you need a better model to keep that feeling higher up.

I am now getting used to the P100D, which even in the heavier Model X guise is again a completely different beast than my Model S P85, though. It is, I must admit, an amazingly quick car in most everyday situations. I fear where the bar is being set with it again. It is something I feel will have some impact on my next car purchases, though luckily I am not in any hurry to replace that as my primary car. BEVs may have redefined what I expect from car performance, but even that can't change the fact that it quickly becomes "everyday" aka the new normal, which everything future is then compared to. It doesn't help that my old ICEs are sluggish in comparison, because that is no longer the level to which I compare.

I know some people that go from high-end to beaters every once in a while just to reset their "arse dyno" so to speak. There may be something to it. :)

This is true for everything in life, of course. The daily experience (whatever it may be) becomes your normal and it may take active efforts to pull yourself outside of all that and appreciate it. Normally, you just get used to what you get used to, and moving away from that to something worse does not seem appealing anymore, even if once that something would be felt normal or even an upgrade...

I had a similar talk with myself when I got mine. A fully loaded 6 seater 75D for like 105k or 90D with white seats 7 seater, tow package and EAP. So glad I spent the extra 10k and went without PUP and UHFS. Especially now that bio defense can be retrofit.

The bio defense retrofit is no longer an option. It was there for maybe a few months and then taken away.