Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sold some deep ITM TSLA leaps today to buy september 295s (and some JKS leaps for those solar folks out there); here's to a good week next week my TSLA friends!!

surfside

ps, gotta love elon's NJ blog post; looking forward to his post about environmental impact....and his road trip....and the model x production vehicle unveiling....and all of the other good tesla news that is bound to come this year :cool:

I just read the blog and I don't get why Christie passed that law. Because at the end of the blog Elon says you will still be able to order a Tesla in New Jersey and have it delivered to New Jersey, you just can't order it from a Tesla store. When I order my Tesla (Gen 3) I will of course check it out at the store, but then go and order it from home. Am I reading that right?

I just read the blog and I don't get why Christie passed that law. Because at the end of the blog Elon says you will still be able to order a Tesla in New Jersey and have it delivered to New Jersey, you just can't order it from a Tesla store. When I order my Tesla (Gen 3) I will of course check it out at the store, but then go and order it from home. Am I reading that right?

Yeah, it sounds like all these "banned" states will work the same way. They can call the stores "galleries" where they show you the car and answer questions, but don't discuss pricing or make a sale. Free speech and all. basically what looks like a store is just a big walk-in brochure.

Then you either go home and order it from home, or drive to a neighboring state if you want to be walked through it. Then the car is delivered to the service center. The worst part is there is usually some tax or registration thing to navigate that is easy in hindsight, but intimidating going into it.

So all this chatter about "omg tesla is banned" just changes the way you buy the car a bit. But if you are buying a tesla, it isn't an impulse buy. TM isn't going to lose sales for this. NJ residents who are ready to buy will not be stopped by this very minor speedbump, just as it didn't stop me from buying in texas.

"banned" news stories= free publicity for TM and is just going to end up putting the dealers out of business for good. If they overstep their bounds, this will become a legal test case and it will not go well for the dealers. My casual understanding of the interstate commerce clause just doesn't seem to allow for a state to ban another state's product. Ford, GM and the like would be happy to sell direct. If they keep this up, the whole USA will go direct sales and we will wonder why the dealers association didn't see that coming.

Edit: Thinking about it more, the laws are probably fine for their original purpose, to protect established dealers from being pressured by the makers to sell their franchises. So maybe the whole thing wouldn't be vacated, but just clarified that they don't apply to makers who have never given a dealer license. That would be a fair and reasonable outcome for everyone.

Last edited:
For me the difference is the ability to test drive. It sells the car. In Virginia over a year ago I had to go to wash dc to test drive

tesla iphone sales app

My advice...Tesla should just create an easy to use app. Android/Iphone .
Customer can use it to order right from the story or gallery or whatever they want to call it!
Its modern technology at work.

I want to walk into Tesla showroom, see the finishes, colors, etc, ask questions re options, then I can order direct from the factory, and have it delivered. This was customer can order a new care while standing in the showroom, and NJ can't do anything about it! Take $$ via credit card
Mail me the paperwork for the loan or whatever

This is bound to happen

Right now I can walk in with my ipad and use teslamotors.com to place an order. An app would make it that much easier

jajy6a8u.jpg

I will be traveling to China soon and I want to do some investigation about Tesla's popularity in China while I am there.

Do you guys have anything in particular you want to investigate? Let me know and I will find out while I am there.

# current reservations
date when deliveries start
waiting time for new reservations to get car
how is the china version different than the U.S. version
# people visiting the Beijing showroom
what China/Beijing/etc incentives apply to Tesla Model S

# current reservations

Causalien, when are you going?
Please try to get any of the above info Dave mentions. In addition, if you visit the Beijing store if you could find out:

-how many reservations they tend to get on a typical weekday and typical weekend day. 10-20? 50-100? Maybe if you stay there for a couple hours you could get a sense (ie. Someone else said they're doing 2 reservations per hour there).

Thanks

I keep monitoring "TESLA forum" from the most popular chinese auto website www.autohome.com.cn (NYSE:ATHM) on daily base. I can answer some of DaveT's questions from the posts of the TESLA forum.

>> if people reserve now, they were told to get the car by end of the year. For the people reserved last year, they can get care the first half of 2014.

>> it's really hard to tell unless you are personally in store for a week or so. But I definitely can see it's very busy store and people coming all over the China to Beijing store to make order and check the car even there is no test drive offerred at this point. The major factor affects the "# people visiting" is there is only ONE store for entire China now. By end of the year, tesla promised to open at least another 5 stores (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Chengdu) and test drive will be offered soon. I do expect the "# people visiting" and "# order" will grow significantly in 2015 considering China is the biggest luxury car market in the world and it accounts 49% sales of Benz S class.

>> unfortunately none can apply. unless tesla can have joint-venture for model E in China in the future

>> the operation system will be chinese version, it adds air filter to deal with PM2.5 at least

>> I heard it's from end of March. So far I havn't seen any model S officially delivered yet. Actually that's my big concern for Q1 ER, what if tesla delivered none or only a couple of hundreds model S to China in Q1?

# current reservations