Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. Tesla's production capability should be ONLY limited by battery supply not for those minor things.

Don't you think that they needed to change the process to accommodate assembly of additional parts?? I.e. the slower production rate was NOT because there was shortage of shields, but because production process needed to be changed to accommodate their installation.

Don't you think that they needed to change the process to accommodate assembly of additional parts?? I.e. the slower production rate was NOT because there was shortage of shields, but because production process needed to be changed to accommodate their installation.

Maybe. But let's say if there is 20% production capability idle due to shortage of battery, i.e. 5 days 80% production can actually be done by 4 days 100% production. Then even the factory shut down by 1 day to accomodate the new production process, the original production rate still be caught up in a week. 20% is an arbitrary number for illustration purpose, actually this is kind of surprise not mentioned in Q1 guidance, I think Elon and the team might figure out a way to absorb the impact as much as possible. They all know production rate ramp up is crucial throughout 2014, 2015, 2016 until GEN III.

I would be curious to hear from long term TSLA inventors at point or price do you plan to sell you shares?

Assume there is no macroeconomic event that takes down the entire market and Tesla executes their guided plan of Model E and Gigafactory.
Do you have a price target/market cap target where you plan to sell?

Sell when the growth story plays out. Otherwise never sell. If they become a successful car company with a 100b market cap, they will offer a dividend.

+1. My 77 year-old mother asks me every time on the phone, "Have you sold any TSLA yet?" To which I reply, "No." And when she asks why, I say the story hasn't changed. It hasn't. It keeps getting better, hence the appreciating stock price.

I would be curious to hear from long term TSLA inventors at point or price do you plan to sell you shares?

Assume there is no macroeconomic event that takes down the entire market and Tesla executes their guided plan of Model E and Gigafactory.

Price target/market cap targets can be good if one has a specific goal in mind. For example: will sell when shares worth enough to pay for child's college tuition or when shares worth enough to buy house. I like this kind of target because even if the shares go up more, you can know that you met your goal.

Otherwise, I'd say sell when the company appears to be dominating and it's products have become the standard. iPhone is one analogy. iPhone started out as the underdog in 2007 and was dominating by 2011. It was *the* device everyone had to have (and was buying), and it seemed like Apple could do no wrong. Then Samsung really pushed the Galaxy S III and Apple's dominance was called into question.

My rough guess is that if Model E and it's crossover derivative steal large numbers of people away from Accord/Camry/CR-V/RAV4 and equivalents over a period of a few years, that's the time to begin exiting. Time scale is a bit different from Apple because automobile turnover is slower than mobile phone turnover. A lot of people get a new phone every 2 years or even every year. Automobiles are kept for longer: 36 month leases, or people who buy for 5 or even 10 year periods.

I'm not selling for years and years. I think Tesla will be wildly successful and the party hasn't even begun yet. And even though I hold a substantial amount of shares on margin I'm not selling in a recession either because I think TSLA will hold up ok. The reason is because even if we have a huge recession, the worldwide demand for the cars will still be huge and people will still buy cars. Wealth is "never" destroyed, it just changes form/hands.
My prediction: Tesla will one day be the biggest company in the world. It's not just about selling cars, but think battery business, drive train licensing etc.
Musk has got this one figured out so I'm not parting from my shares! :)

The past week or so has been quite rough for TSLA and a lot of the momentum names, but I think the worst may be over. There was pretty high volume during the bottom today between 10-11 EST (higher than during the big plunge on Friday), so I'm leaning towards bullish again (had been bearish from Friday onward).

I tune my investment to the pitch of the founder and ceo. There will be no selling here until GENIII and associated goals are realized- whatever value that might produce. I intend to take my portion of Elon's compensation associated with that state of Tesla affairs

I will get out of TSLA when people on basketball forums start touting it as a "safe" investment.

No kidding, one called the top for Apple with a post like that.

When all of the shorts are gone and nobody is bad-mouthing TSLA anymore, then is when I will sell.

Though it may take a decade or more to get there.

It will take tesla a while to reach world dominance, as i expect it to do. it will take a lot longer for the tesla to get there, however, than it did apple because of the capital/time/supplier resources needed to grow. at the same time, however, i don't think that tesla will be unseated from the top as quickly as some say apple was because of the same reasons.

if another car company comes out with superior EV technology (which i don't see in the foreseaable future), i think this still helps tesla. it just hurts ICE manufacturers more.

people have made the claim that tesla is a technology company more than a car company. i disagree. it is fundamentally a car company and its evolution will reflect that. it might also be an energy storage company, but we still have to see how that plays out.

Just wrote the largest check ever written in my lifetime... - to US Treasury. On behalf of myself, and US Treasury, - huge thank you to the TMC community. Without gleaning from the wealth of experience and information at TMC this would not have been possible. :biggrin:

Just wrote the largest check ever written in my lifetime... - to US Treasury. On behalf of myself, and US Treasury, - huge thank you to the TMC community. Without gleaning from the wealth of experience and information at TMC this would not have been possible. :biggrin:

Congratulations.

I'd like to thank TMC members also for their expertise, thoughts, and camaraderie. It has been both enjoyable and profitable, which is truly rare and appreciated.

I'm doing an electronic transfer on Friday... had to sell some things I didn't want to on Monday to make sure the funds were in the right place in time.

Great attitude.

This tax season has got me thinking a lot about moving out of California with its high state income tax.