Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOFA - Status of Forces Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone point me to the policy under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) that protects US vehicle warranty? I’m running into an issue here in South Korea where the Tesla Service Center would not fix the heater of my Model 3 (purchased only June 2019) because I am “out of region”. But, if I can provide them documentation, they can proceed with the service. Options they offered is to pay out-of-pocket or waive my US warrant and forfeit the last two years of my 5-year US warranty. Thanks in advance, CB aka “Freezing Texan In Korea”

I’m running into an issue here in South Korea where the Tesla Service Center would not fix the heater of my Model 3 (purchased only June 2019) because I am “out of region”. But, if I can provide them documentation, they can proceed with the service. ”

I'm jealous. We're in Okinawa and I had to sell my Model S before coming out here.

Did you try showing them the car on your orders (or whatever paperwork the military lists vehicle shipping)? I'd also try to elevate your issue with Tesla leadership. There used to be a spot under your account on the website to do this, but I don't know if it's still there. This is a problem any military member who buys a Tesla may have to deal with when they get overseas orders, so I would think they would be understanding.

Can anyone point me to the policy under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) that protects US vehicle warranty? I’m running into an issue here in South Korea where the Tesla Service Center would not fix the heater of my Model 3 (purchased only June 2019) because I am “out of region”. But, if I can provide them documentation, they can proceed with the service. Options they offered is to pay out-of-pocket or waive my US warrant and forfeit the last two years of my 5-year US warranty. Thanks in advance, CB aka “Freezing Texan In Korea”

OP did you ever get any traction with Tesla on this issue? I'm also military with orders to Ramstein Germany, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be screwed if I ship my Model Y to Europe. Please let me know what you've heard!

OP did you ever get any traction with Tesla on this issue? I'm also military with orders to Ramstein Germany, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be screwed if I ship my Model Y to Europe. Please let me know what you've heard!
When are you expecting delivery? Also, have you researched the charging implications of having a US model in Germany? I don't think any of the cellular connectivity will work over there.

Might be worth waiting until you get there and looking for a used Model S/X there.

I did have a BMW X5 I purchased in Korea as a SOFA status Gov Employee. It was US spec and the Warranty was 2 years (standard Korea BMW warranty), but once returned to the US, the remainder of the 5 year USA BMW warranty would be honored. I think the only reason it had the Korea BMW warranty was it was purchased threw a BMW dealer there, as a US model. At purchase it was made clear to me that the US warranty would not be available to me while in Korea.

Tesla may be different but you may be fighting an uphill battle. I would say the route you need to take is to contact Tesla to see if they can honer the USA warranty with work performed by a Korean Tesla Dealer. If not possible to make the arrangement, I would then see if they would reimburse me the cost to have the work done if you paid out of pocket and sent them the receipts.

Another situation was a co worker that brought his VW CC from Seattle and it had an important airbag recall while he was in Korea. VW Korea would not do the recall work and VW USA stated that they could only help him once he returned. They did provide a letter to use to ship the car back to the US since you can not ship a car with open recalls.

Finally, My question. I am planning on going back to Korea sometime in the next 2-3 years. I have a Model Y on order ( just today =P ) here but I am considering canceling it if the Telematics (Over air updates, GPS, remote unlock, autopilot, etc) in a US Spec Tesla will not work in Korea. When I bought my US Spec BMW in Korea, I did not know the GPS and the "My BMW App" would not work and I was majorly bummed. Don't want to pay for premium luxuries I can't use, for the best years of the cars life, again...

I did have a BMW X5 I purchased in Korea as a SOFA status Gov Employee. It was US spec and the Warranty was 2 years (standard Korea BMW warranty), but once returned to the US, the remainder of the 5 year USA BMW warranty would be honored. I think the only reason it had the Korea BMW warranty was it was purchased threw a BMW dealer there, as a US model. At purchase it was made clear to me that the US warranty would not be available to me while in Korea.

Tesla may be different but you may be fighting an uphill battle. I would say the route you need to take is to contact Tesla to see if they can honer the USA warranty with work performed by a Korean Tesla Dealer. If not possible to make the arrangement, I would then see if they would reimburse me the cost to have the work done if you paid out of pocket and sent them the receipts.

Another situation was a co worker that brought his VW CC from Seattle and it had an important airbag recall while he was in Korea. VW Korea would not do the recall work and VW USA stated that they could only help him once he returned. They did provide a letter to use to ship the car back to the US since you can not ship a car with open recalls.

Finally, My question. I am planning on going back to Korea sometime in the next 2-3 years. I have a Model Y on order ( just today =P ) here but I am considering canceling it if the Telematics (Over air updates, GPS, remote unlock, autopilot, etc) in a US Spec Tesla will not work in Korea. When I bought my US Spec BMW in Korea, I did not know the GPS and the "My BMW App" would not work and I was majorly bummed. Don't want to pay for premium luxuries I can't use, for the best years of the cars life, again...
You very well need to be prepared to not have those features available in Korea along with the headaches of getting warranty work done there. I don’t think Tesla is gonna have their act together enough In the mid term to allow a seamless experience of moving the car between countries.

Does Tesla have a Military Sales program. If not you may be out of luck. This is Fords overseas warranty coverage for American Cars. Ask Tesla if they have something similar. They may or may not.

DO WARRANTIES APPLY IN OTHER COUNTRIES? The New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Emissions Warranties described in this booklet apply to your vehicle if: • it was originally purchased through the Ford Worldwide Direct Marketing Operations Military Sales Program; or • it was originally sold or leased by Ford Motor Company or one of its dealers in the United States or U.S Federalized Territories, and it was originally registered/licensed and operated in the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. If you meet either of these two requirements, you do have warranty coverage when you travel with this vehicle outside the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. In some cases, however, you may have to pay the servicing Ford dealer in a foreign country or U.S. Federalized Territory for a repair that is covered under the U.S. warranty. If this happens, be sure to save the paid repair order or invoice. You should present this document to a U.S. Ford Motor Company dealer for warranty refund consideration. Refer to www.Ford.com for additional customer assistance reference information. 3

Unfortunately SOFA doesn’t cover this…