Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft bonnet saving wildlife?

Did my flying friend make it?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick observation from an experience driving home yesterday evening.

We all know the bonnets on our beloved cars are of a sort of emmental-cheese-covered-fibreglass consistency. This presents some problems, namely how easy they are to deform by accident, but I've now experienced another PRO.

I hit a bird doing around 45mph (it dived out of a hedge row >1ft in front of me). I absolutely hate hitting any kind of wildlife, it turns me from car-nut to hippy in 0 seconds flat and makes me want to go and live in a mud hut on the top of an attractive hill top somewhere. Luckily I've never had any incidents with large animals or god forbid someones pet, so I think this bird is the largest thing I've ever hit in over a decade of driving. I get that accidents happen, and sometimes you may have to make a harsh decision prioritising the safety of other people around you over wildlife, but I still hate it.

Anyway...

45mph ish, it was moving at a fair lick, almost perfectly perpendicular to the Y, but at bonnet level.

A soft *BONG*, the bonnet flexes and like a trampoline this thing just BOUNCES/FLIES out of my peripheral vision.

I check my mirrors, (dead back-route country road), put hazards on and pause for a second.

Sure enough, a few seconds later, in my mirror I see it get up, obviously dazed, and hop / flap into the hedgerow on the other side of the road.

So two questions / observations...

Any avian experts who can tell me whether it is likely to have survived? It was sort of small-ish blackbird size/shape. No blood on the bonnet at all.

I can see how this would be such a boon for pedestrian safety, and other environmental factors that we have a moral obligation to consider.

IDK about a glass, but it could try a beaker I guess
I suppose he could help

B3238A8B-EBBA-44F4-AA7D-331E4A87A247.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Casss