Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Close \ Auto Close Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long until the model S shares the same soft close \ automatic close-door mechanism as featured in its sibling model X? I would suggest soft close for all the doors and just the driver door for the automatic portion. I would assume they already have the parts and mechanisms to do so. I would like to see that as an option and would be willing to pay up for it.

Any thoughts?

Elon called the Model X a Faberge Egg one that won't be seen again in the future. I assume both soft close and automatic doors may not come to any other Tesla as it just add 'unneeded complexity'. We haven't see it on the Model 3, or the refreshed Model S that came out a month go. Will it appear on the new Roadster, who knows, but the $250K price could justify it.

If you're holding out on it, don't expect it any time soon is my suggestion. Enjoy their current offerings as they are awesome without the needed Soft Close or Automatic Close.

Maybe it will be part of the redesigned interior? How hard can it be - Lincoln was doing it 20 yrs ago.

It's not difficult, but it going to add a lot more to the vehicle (motors, sensors, etc...) not to mention a completely new wiring harness. Many other manufactures have been doing it, but then again, certain things we won't see on a Tesla (CarPlay, reading text messages, etc...), but other things we will (video games, sentry mode, built-in dash cam).

It's all a throw of the device on what Elon has on the product roadmap

Maybe it will be part of the redesigned interior? How hard can it be - Lincoln was doing it 20 yrs ago.

I agree, most offerings in this price category or even lower have the soft close option available. The automatic door feature is another story, but then again all the engineering and parts are pretty much already there.

I know it's a small thing, but I enjoyed it so much driving the X. Having the drivers door close with the press on the brake is a impressive luxury.

I agree, most offerings in this price category or even lower have the soft close option available. The automatic door feature is another story, but then again all the engineering and parts are pretty much already there.

I know it's a small thing, but I enjoyed it so much driving the X. Having the drivers door close with the press on the brake is a impressive luxury.

Wife won't drive my Model S because she loves the "butler" feature in her Model X. I guess when you get to use the convince of one, you don't switch to something else that doesn't have it. #FirstWorldProblem

Wife won't drive my Model S because she loves the "butler" feature in her Model X. I guess when you get to use the convince of one, you don't switch to something else that doesn't have it. #FirstWorldProblem

Yes, it is very much like getting used to any convenience feature like Teslas' automatic locking doors on exit or lack of a engine start-stop button. I remember taking my wife's car for an errand and upon returning to it in the parking lot I noticed I left the engine running and the doors unlocked! Who would make a car that lets you do that? lol