Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Closing Trunk No Longer Soft

MOD M3P

Jan 26, 2021
Lincoln, UK
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I’ve had my M3P (refresh) a month now, and after the cold weather at the weekend, the soft closing trunk no longer closes softly, as it did before. It still automatically closes, but with a thud rather than softly.

Weirdly, if I close it by hand, it still does the soft closing the majority of the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or whether there’s a quick fix. It may just be because it’s cold, but I’ve not experienced it before, and there’s been plenty of cold days.

Cheers
Chris

MOD M3P

Jan 26, 2021
Lincoln, UK
Just to add, the car has slept multiple times since the problem first started. I’ve also tried opening and closing multiple times, resetting the boot height via the button and trying again, and also jiggling around with the rubber prongs, which I think control the soft closure. It’s only started when I opened the boot when it was icy.

It’s only when closing by hand, that I can get it to close softly. I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but this issue coincides with a software update, which I did the same day. Coincidence?

White Eusebio

Sep 24, 2020
St. Albans
Mine has never soft closed! I’m taking it into the SC tomorrow to check boot alignment so I’ll ask about this too while I’m there.
let us know what they please!
Mine has just started pretty much slamming shut too, about 10 days ago. Also it beeps when I open it, which I don't remember it doing before, and needs quite a bit of effort to lift it

Peteski

Oct 2, 2017
UK, Milton Keynes
let us know what they please!
Mine has just started pretty much slamming shut too, about 10 days ago. Also it beeps when I open it, which I don't remember it doing before, and needs quite a bit of effort to lift it

Mine is fine now after adjustment. I wouldn't know about the effort to lift it - this is the new powered version.

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
Mine is the powered one - but it doesn't lift without help now

Last week mine stopped shutting - it opens correctly, but I get the double beep when it's got to the fully open position, and then when I press the button to close it just double beeps and stay's where it is....

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
My 6-month-old 2021 has been doing the same thing for a while. It was soft-closing initially, but now it just slams shut. And just like somebody else posted, it's now also beeping when it opens (rather than just before closing), but not all the time. By the way, I was surprised to only see ONE power strut. My other vehicle has 2. The other strut is just a regular pneumatic one. One of the 2 must be crapping out.

So what are you guys with the 'slam' issue doing? Waiting until it craps out? By the way, I looked at the power strut, and there's no freaking connector visible, so there has to be some dismantling involved, unfortunately. Oh well. Will probably wait until it craps out, since I don't want my headliner messed up. Thanks gang.
JC

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Out of interest, have you tried lowering the open height to something much lower (hold down the button while it's open until it does a long beep) and seeing if it soft closes then? It could be that the computer has lost track of where the closing point is.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC