Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Closing Trunk No Longer Soft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I’ve had my M3P (refresh) a month now, and after the cold weather at the weekend, the soft closing trunk no longer closes softly, as it did before. It still automatically closes, but with a thud rather than softly.

Weirdly, if I close it by hand, it still does the soft closing the majority of the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or whether there’s a quick fix. It may just be because it’s cold, but I’ve not experienced it before, and there’s been plenty of cold days.

Cheers
Chris

Just to add, the car has slept multiple times since the problem first started. I’ve also tried opening and closing multiple times, resetting the boot height via the button and trying again, and also jiggling around with the rubber prongs, which I think control the soft closure. It’s only started when I opened the boot when it was icy.

It’s only when closing by hand, that I can get it to close softly. I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but this issue coincides with a software update, which I did the same day. Coincidence?

My 6-month-old 2021 has been doing the same thing for a while. It was soft-closing initially, but now it just slams shut. And just like somebody else posted, it's now also beeping when it opens (rather than just before closing), but not all the time. By the way, I was surprised to only see ONE power strut. My other vehicle has 2. The other strut is just a regular pneumatic one. One of the 2 must be crapping out.

So what are you guys with the 'slam' issue doing? Waiting until it craps out? By the way, I looked at the power strut, and there's no freaking connector visible, so there has to be some dismantling involved, unfortunately. Oh well. Will probably wait until it craps out, since I don't want my headliner messed up. Thanks gang.
JC

Out of interest, have you tried lowering the open height to something much lower (hold down the button while it's open until it does a long beep) and seeing if it soft closes then? It could be that the computer has lost track of where the closing point is.

My car still soft closes, so it's not the mechanism itself, but that the power strut is not closing the trunk slowly, so it just slams closed. Same thing if you close a door normally (as with some force) on a car equipped with soft-close; you bypass the soft-close mechanism. The car has been doing that for about a year, and hasn't gotten worse, so I haven't done anything about that. The thing that still has my wife perplexed is the trunk sometimes beeps twice before opening, and we don't know what that means. It still opens normally, so not sure what the heck that is for. It does that randomly, then stops for a while. It has done it several times already. And no, it's not that often as to notice any kind of pattern. Does anybody know what double-beeping when opening is supposed to convey? Thank you.

My car still soft closes, so it's not the mechanism itself, but that the power strut is not closing the trunk slowly, so it just slams closed. Same thing if you close a door normally (as with some force) on a car equipped with soft-close; you bypass the soft-close mechanism. The car has been doing that for about a year, and hasn't gotten worse, so I haven't done anything about that. The thing that still has my wife perplexed is the trunk sometimes beeps twice before opening, and we don't know what that means. It still opens normally, so not sure what the heck that is for. It does that randomly, then stops for a while. It has done it several times already. And no, it's not that often as to notice any kind of pattern. Does anybody know what double-beeping when opening is supposed to convey? Thank you.
Others have said on this forum that while the double beep is generally a sign of the powered strut failing, it's been happening a lot since the 2022.8.2 update (the hope is that 8.3 fixes this; can't anyone confirm?). I've been getting double beeps a lot recently - probably over 75% of the time - but didn't have this issue before 8.2, so I'm going to hang fire on calling out a ranger for a little longer. Of course, this issue may not be connected to your problem with the boot slamming shut - others can, I am sure, confirm.

To add my recent history, it was mostly slamming shut, soft closing maybe 1 in 10 attempts. Then one day it went mental and started slamming shut seriously hard. I called out mobile service and they replaced the strut. Now it's back to just a normal slam with the occasional soft shut thrown in! Our new MY soft closes most of the time, with the odd slam thrown in for good measure. I've stopped giving this any further thought!

Mine also does a 'normal slam', like if you were closing a non-powered trunk, so figured it's not a big deal. And mine has been consistently doing that since about the 3rd month of ownership, meaning no soft-closes anymore, but no hard slams either. I haven't installed the latest update, so my double-beeps are unrelated to that, but they're infrequent enough that they might just be a software issue. Guess we'll see when the .3 update version is released, and see what happens. By the way, if you want to see if your soft-close mechanism works, just grab your trunk as it closes, and slow it to a crawl before it 'slams' closed, so you can force the soft-close mechanism to work. It should work.