Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Reboot erased all my data, help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did a soft reboot and lost all my data. Profile is gone, all setings gone, all radio stations gone, Everything. Care name, profiles, phone gone, different rims on the car on screen now. Pretty pissed off right now.

Am I SOL? Is this kind of stuff recoverable?

Looks like it reset itself to factory settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

So I did a soft reboot and lost all my data. Profile is gone, all setings gone, all radio stations gone, Everything. Care name, profiles, phone gone, different rims on the car on screen now. Pretty pissed off right now.

Looks like it reset itself to factory settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Weird. Never had this happen to me.

Reactions: mlkmade
was it a long time between your last update and this reboot?

all I can guess is that the internal structs were different enough that it had to just re-init all of eeprom/flash with defaults.

usually, to me, that indicates that too much of a 'diff' was there from old-version and new-version.

could that have happened?

yeah, nothing to do to get config back. its not like we can export and import json files (sigh).

Happened to me 2 months ago, I manually restored all the settings.

I spoke with a friend who has a 3 week old 2021 model, and he said that on a reboot using the brake pedal that it wiped all of his settings as well. Note that this is different than doing a factory reset from the display. Could be a new bug, or they intentionally do a reset to defaults now.

They've had a lot of bugs that manifest from saved settings conflicting with updated software, and since they appear to do zero QA testing it would not be a surprise that their hack workaround is just to delete all user settings. We'd know for sure if... they had release notes.

Reactions: mlkmade
We'd know for sure if... they had release notes.

Tesla has release notes! These are perfectly acceptable release notes! (/sarcasm)

cold weather improvements.JPG

Reactions: LionXng
Not a huge deal, first world problems...Just frustrated as I had my Trip B renamed to lifetime since day 1 and had my lifetime kW/h usage, everything else just have to log in, and remember settings. During the soft reboot I noticed it stopped itself and the screen flashed random parts of the update notes screen, and then restarted the reboot process and then when it finally came up it was basically a factory reset, everything was gone that I mentioned in OP.

Weird. Never had this happen to me.
Same, I always forget to include my car details. 2019 SR+, got it in August'19. I've soft rebooted many times and done the screen full reboot a few times with no issue. This was a first. I'm just pissed at myself because I didn't really need to do the soft reboot in the first place. My radio had a slight lag to it, so I did it. Either way it shouldn't happen.

If another reboot doesn’t restore your settings, there’s nothing you can do other than restoring them manually.
Yea, I rebooted several times and it didn't fix. Bummer.

was it a long time between your last update and this reboot?

all I can guess is that the internal structs were different enough that it had to just re-init all of eeprom/flash with defaults.

usually, to me, that indicates that too much of a 'diff' was there from old-version and new-version.

could that have happened?

yeah, nothing to do to get config back. its not like we can export and import json files (sigh).
I was on the latest update afaik, I download and install them as soon as its pushed to my car.

edit: just checked, yea was on the same firmware /latest update before and after this issue. 2021.4.18.2

Last edited:
I had it wiped with the FSD HW 3.0 install.
I'm surprised that people still have this issue, if this was done recently. When was your car done? My HW3.0 upgrade was done by mobile service in my driveway end of April 2020 and the tech saved all my settings and restored them after the upgrade. The only thing that I had to manually restore was my WiFi and Netflix passwords and re-pair my phone.

ref: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

Back on topic: I've rebooted my car many times and have never lost any of the settings (AFAIK). Last one was two days ago when the radio (and blinker sounds) were AWOL. First attempt was done while I was driving and it didn't complete as I had to turn the wheel before the Tesla icon appeared on screen. Second time was when I was parked and the radio and blinkers came back.

I'm surprised that people still have this issue, if this was done recently. When was your car done? My HW3.0 upgrade was done by mobile service in my driveway end of April 2020 and the tech saved all my settings and restored them after the upgrade. The only thing that I had to manually restore was my WiFi and Netflix passwords and re-pair my phone.

ref: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

Back on topic: I've rebooted my car many times and have never lost any of the settings (AFAIK). Last one was two days ago when the radio (and blinker sounds) were AWOL. First attempt was done while I was driving and it didn't complete as I had to turn the wheel before the Tesla icon appeared on screen. Second time was when I was parked and the radio and blinkers came back.
This was today. I'm actually still waiting to be able to subscribe to FSD... the app is still treating it like 2.5. Car does have FSD visualization. SC said to check every couple hours and if it hasn't updated by tomorrow I'm supposed to submit another request.

I'm surprised that people still have this issue, if this was done recently. When was your car done? My HW3.0 upgrade was done by mobile service in my driveway end of April 2020 and the tech saved all my settings and restored them after the upgrade.

It was on July 9, 2020 and it was done at the Alpharetta SC. They apologized but couldn't restore the settings.

I had the exact same thing happen today but with one slight wrinkle. My charge port door did not close automatically after supercharging. At a red light, I put the car in park tried to close it from the display (wouldn’t work) so I decided to head on over to the hotel and worry with it there. Did a soft restart (no connectivity since I was in the bottom of a parking garage) And that’s when everything was wiped. I’ve done this many other times without issue but today my settings were zapped. I had to check out of the hotel and get on the road but pulled out of the garage into an empty parking lot thinking it would be restored if I restarted again with connectivity restored. No dice. Had to set everything up again. Just wondering if the restart without connectivity may have caused it.

This just happened to me today after I did the scroll wheel reset. All my personal settings were gone, the map showed my car at Tesla headquarters and my odometer milage was gone. The Tesla app can't even connect because obviously my car doesn't have a name now. I'm on firmware 2021.12.25.7 and a soft reboot shouldn't have caused this issue, yet it did. This is the one thing I hate about owning a software based vehicle!!!