Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft ride and flat seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping to crowd source a bit of advice. I currently have an early build model 3, and both my wife and I are really happy with almost everything about it. The only real problem for us is that she has some health problems that make sitting in a car uncomfortable, and particularly going over the rough city roads painful. She also has trouble with the sort of backward slant of the seats, they just put her into a position that makes the rough ride worse than it would be if she was able to sit more flat, think hard dining chair. Honestly, though I hate to say it, we are probably looking for something with a very soft and squishy ride.

It's a big enough problem that the prospect of driving all over town for test drives in a bunch of different cars isn't easy, I was hoping this audience might be able to help narrow our list a bit. I'd like a reasonably long range, though most of our driving is < 30 miles a day. Comfortable wins out over performance. Would consider almost anything, but ideally don't want to spend at the price of a new model X. Anyone sat in a bunch of the newer EVs who could provide some advice on what to concentrate on?

Thanks!

You might run the tires at a slightly lower air pressure. It will reduce your range but 5 PSI or so shouldn't be too unsafe. Just watch the tire tread more carefully.
Otherwise, you'll probably be stuck with a Lexus or Cadillac.

I'm hoping to crowd source a bit of advice. I currently have an early build model 3, and both my wife and I are really happy with almost everything about it. The only real problem for us is that she has some health problems that make sitting in a car uncomfortable, and particularly going over the rough city roads painful. She also has trouble with the sort of backward slant of the seats, they just put her into a position that makes the rough ride worse than it would be if she was able to sit more flat, think hard dining chair. Honestly, though I hate to say it, we are probably looking for something with a very soft and squishy ride.

It's a big enough problem that the prospect of driving all over town for test drives in a bunch of different cars isn't easy, I was hoping this audience might be able to help narrow our list a bit. I'd like a reasonably long range, though most of our driving is < 30 miles a day. Comfortable wins out over performance. Would consider almost anything, but ideally don't want to spend at the price of a new model X. Anyone sat in a bunch of the newer EVs who could provide some advice on what to concentrate on?

Thanks!
Audi etron has very comfortable suspension and the multicountour seats are fantastic.

EQS and EQC are very good suspension but pretty firm seats. EQA and EQB a bit more ordinary but same firm seats.

Ioniq 5 is supposed to be comfy, I have no experience with the seats though.

ID.4 has comfortable suspension and seats but not etron level.

EV6, Taycan and Ipace are sporty; both suspension and seats very firm, (but more refined than Model 3).

Volvo XC40/C40/Polestar 2 I feel have softer seats, but firm suspension.

BMW iX3 has very firm seats but pretty decent suspension. iX a bit softer seats and more refined suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Maybe you should test the Model S air suspension to see if this could help?
I'm not sure it's suspension. My seat is uncomfortable to my anatomy, so I cut myself a couple layers of stiff foam and then put another foam seat on top, which really helps. I also have seen that there are companies that can put in a different seat for about $400, which might be worth it.

I'm not sure it's suspension. My seat is uncomfortable to my anatomy, so I cut myself a couple layers of stiff foam and then put another foam seat on top, which really helps. I also have seen that there are companies that can put in a different seat for about $400, which might be worth it.
In our situation it's both, Seattle roads are pretty rough, and the car is pretty stiff, so we hit some construction remnant and the thud is just a bit harder than is comfortable. The biggest problem with the seats for us is the rear ward slant. Both of these things are I think well within "normal" and weren't a problem at all until my wife's injury. We have tried a variety of foam/pillow/filler situations and those help some. We may just live with it, and hope that her condition improves, but if there is something better out there that we can switch to, or something we are missing it's gotten to the point where it would probably be worth it.

In our situation it's both, Seattle roads are pretty rough, and the car is pretty stiff, so we hit some construction remnant and the thud is just a bit harder than is comfortable. The biggest problem with the seats for us is the rear ward slant. Both of these things are I think well within "normal" and weren't a problem at all until my wife's injury. We have tried a variety of foam/pillow/filler situations and those help some. We may just live with it, and hope that her condition improves, but if there is something better out there that we can switch to, or something we are missing it's gotten to the point where it would probably be worth it.

Try a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 or Genesis GV60. The suspensions are much softer than Teslas and the EV drivetrains are also very nice. The Teslas are far firmer due to their sporty nature but the above EVs i've mentioned are built much more for comfort.

I have an EV6 and the ownership experience has been excellent.