Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Softer Ride Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the current solutions to a softer ride that I've been seeing:

1. Reduce PSI in tires to 38
2. Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance
3. Mild version of: DUAL RATE LINEAR LOWERING SPRING SET FOR TESLA MODEL Y - Unplugged Performance
4. Redwood Motorsports is coming out with their own version of #2

I drove a Model S loaner today, and wow, the ride felt so comfortable compared to my MY PUP.

I get it, the performance version is supposed to handle better, I wasn't expecting a super comfortable ride, but I think I want to look into changing things up so that it is much more comfortable.

But will any of the above get us towards the comfort I was feeling in the Model S?

I really don't care for ride height changes, 24 points of adjustability, or way better handling. At this point I'll just settle for a comfortable ride.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Fiddler
Here are the current solutions to a softer ride that I've been seeing:

1. Reduce PSI in tires to 38
2. Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance
3. Mild version of: DUAL RATE LINEAR LOWERING SPRING SET FOR TESLA MODEL Y - Unplugged Performance
4. Redwood Motorsports is coming out with their own version of #2

I drove a Model S loaner today, and wow, the ride felt so comfortable compared to my MY PUP.

I get it, the performance version is supposed to handle better, I wasn't expecting a super comfortable ride, but I think I want to look into changing things up so that it is much more comfortable.

But will any of the above get us towards the comfort I was feeling in the Model S?

I really don't care for ride height changes, 24 points of adjustability, or way better handling. At this point I'll just settle for a comfortable ride.

Any ideas?
I believe the S has airbags

Fred

• Funny
Reactions: Jim R
And there is a photo somewhere of a Tesla test Model 3 with air suspension as well. My hunch is that within a year or two there will be an air suspension version of both the M3 and MY, but that's just a WAG.

When that happens, just trade it in for a new one:)

It's not easy making a 5000 lbs + car ride smoothly. I am waiting on other tuners like Eibach, H&R and KW to come up with alternatives for the Y. I will even consider air-ride kits from Air-Lift when they figure out all the geometry. I have owned cars with OEM air struts, they are a PITA and super expensive to replace.

It's not easy making a 5000 lbs + car ride smoothly. I am waiting on other tuners like Eibach, H&R and KW to come up with alternatives for the Y. I will even consider air-ride kits from Air-Lift when they figure out all the geometry. I have owned cars with OEM air struts, they are a PITA and super expensive to replace.
Some of us remember car ads in the 70s advertising “road hugging weight” as the key to a good ride :)

This topic is the reason I traded my Model 3 Performance (Stealth, stock suspension and 18” wheels) for a Model X after getting a loaner Model S. So much quieter and smoother (and you can adjust it :)). No regrets. I’m averaging 280 wh/mi too (I was getting 230 in Model 3). The X is 1000 pounds more, so I don’t buy the weight argument. Free Super Charging. Unlimited mile warranty on Battery. Also bought the extended warranty. Way more space. Split screen is awesome. Only thing I miss is phone as key. All around better car and worth the extra $$$ for us. I like it so much I’m tempted to replace our Volt with a refresh Model S. Hoping they don’t mess up the S/X with single 3/Y screen.

It's not easy making a 5000 lbs + car ride smoothly.

Not true, it's incredibly easy. All luxury cars are heavy. The problem, not the excuse for Tesla, is that they are using really crappy and cheap shock absorbers on the Model 3/Y. It doesn't need to be some $3000 500 way adjustable shock to ride nicely, it just needs to be a good brand like Bilstein. For a very small increase in cost for good shocks, our cars would have a much better ride quality, not less sporty, just much better.

Our coilovers will be announced soon! We have been developing them since we got our Y and are finally happy with the ride quality.

Very cool. I guess we should just all sit back and wait for all the options to come out and then see which works best.

Though so far, I have no idea how to compare the Unplugged Luxury vs. Redwood Motorsports Grand Touring (Ohlins) vs. MountainPass. Maybe the Model 3 versions are enough for us to compare?

Very cool. I guess we should just all sit back and wait for all the options to come out and then see which works best.

Though so far, I have no idea how to compare the Unplugged Luxury vs. Redwood Motorsports Grand Touring (Ohlins) vs. MountainPass. Maybe the Model 3 versions are enough for us to compare?

When I looked at those options, none of the vendors were focusing on ride comfort. They are all trying to make the car handle better for the track. And it doesn’t seem like they really want to work on daily driver suspensions.

The best option daily use would just be higher quality shocks that may or may not use the same springs. I guess those aren’t expensive enough to make it worth it for them.

My Jag XF, that my Tesla replaced, was the same weight, same 19” wheels, and very similar suspension link setup with regular springs and shocks. That car rode a 1000 times better than the Model 3 in every way - extremely sporty, but comfortable and refined. They use Bilstein shocks. Wish I could get the same shocks for the Model 3.

The Model 3 versions would give you an idea of what the damper technology is like from each company, but as far as the feel of the kits specifically for the Y, it will be totally different. There was no crossover for us between the 2 kits, and it took a lot more work to get the Y kit to ride as well as our Model 3 Comfort kit. I wouldn't be surprised if companies that dropped a Model Y kit right after its release just ported over the Model 3 kit.

Speaking from experience, I can report that the MPP coilovers greatly improved the ride on my Model 3 (albeit not to the level of my prior, air-suspended Model S). Still, a noticeable and worthwhile improvement. If MPP takes what they’ve learned from the 3 and improves it for the Y, you’ll be in good shape...

Speaking from experience, I can report that the MPP coilovers greatly improved the ride on my Model 3 (albeit not to the level of my prior, air-suspended Model S). Still, a noticeable and worthwhile improvement. If MPP takes what they’ve learned from the 3 and improves it for the Y, you’ll be in good shape...
Thanks for the heads up. Also, I see that you are in Chicago as well. Where did you get yours installed, or did you do it yourself?