Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Softtop silently cutting into the carbon fiber clearcoat of rollbar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another nice day in Santa Cruz.... so I went to change over the soft top to the Taylor Mesh top, when I noticed after taking off the soft top a slight gouge in the passenger front side of the rollbar (hard to see in the pic). Its the part right behind the soft top hinge (upper). I don't like cuts, gouges, or cracks in that stuff... doesn't make it look as pretty either. The damaged appeared was limited to the clearcoat of the carbon fiber so no biggy. The culprit was the silver cable hinge of the soft top. It wasn't set in perfectly and its center offset, which when rotated, acted like a sharp knife to the clearcoat. I brought a file to its rough sharp edges and rounded them. I also brought the height down some without comprising the hinges integrity. Don't need to bring it down all that much, the sharp edges are the real killer.

I have 6,800 on the odometer so keep an eye on that area of your roadster. I usually take a walk around the car at any opening/closing points or anything that can vibrate/move and rub. Doors to jams, hoods to fenders, trunk to rear, etc...

The hinge part I filed down is the flathead that the cable feeds into, not the allen head.

IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5662.JPG
IMG_5663.JPG

Thanks for the "Heads Up" - I'll have to check mine.

FYI - I put my mesh top on about 6 months ago and haven't taken it off since - I never thought I would like it this much. Gives the sensation of the top off and yet filter some of the sun. I always said - if I can't drive with the top off why am I driving it! The mesh top had made me rethink that statement.