Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software 8.0 Likes/Dislikes for Pre-Autopilot Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Flash drives are not called "USB1" and "USB2" but instead show the volume name of the device.
  • The turn-by-turn navigation in the instrument display zooms out when I'm driving fast, showing more of the map and zooms in as I slow. It also has a small vertical visual indicator showing how close I am to my next turn.
  • When the driver or front passenger does not have the seat belt buckled and the car is moving, a graphic of the car indicates the infraction.
  • The swipe-down-to-navigate-to-home-or-work feature isn't intuitive but is very handy once you know it's there.
  • The media player now has controls on the left part of the screen and the song/artist/album on the right. This means my hand isn't in the way of the song information and I can reach the controls more easily.
  • The missing icon bar raises the navigation directions upward by an inch on the display making written navigation slightly easier to see while driving.
  • I can now display up to four trip meters on the instrument display, the normal two plus Trip A and Trip B, which can be renamed now.
Dislike (or disappointed to still not have)
  • A flash drive name that includes a space shows up with a placeholder code instead of the space.
  • Still haven't fixed hilariously incorrect album art for USB and Bluetooth songs and podcasts.
  • There is still no outside temperature on the top of the 17" display for the passenger. My passengers miss that from Version 6.0 very much.
  • The clock is sometimes hard to read on the upper right corner of the 17" display now that the icon bar is gone.
  • I can't see how strong my cellular signal is without touching the 17" display. (It's sometimes relevant to explain why my music or maps aren't loading normally.)

That was there in 7.1

Otherwise I mostly agree.
That's odd then. It's definitely new to me. I use navigation daily and it was not there until I got 8.0. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I don't have a photo to share right now. It's a vertical white line with a dot at the top and a small arrow that moves slowly upwards. The shape appears at the bottom of the turn-by-turn nav screen on the instrument display when I'm about 0.1 miles from my turn.

That's odd then. It's definitely new to me. I use navigation daily and it was not there until I got 8.0. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I don't have a photo to share right now. It's a vertical white line with a dot at the top and a small arrow that moves slowly upwards. The shape appears at the bottom of the turn-by-turn nav screen on the instrument display when I'm about 0.1 miles from my turn.
Previously there was no arrow, just a white line. The closer you got to the turn, the longer the white line got. They added the little arrow to show the tip of the line to make it easier to differentiate, I guess.

It was on both the IC and the 17" screen previously, and it's still in both now.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Previously there was no arrow, just a white line. The closer you got to the turn, the longer the white line got. They added the little arrow to show the tip of the line to make it easier to differentiate, I guess.
Apparently necessary. I thought the white line was a scrollbar because of how poorly the feature had been implemented (given it covers my SOC for nearly my entire commute). Had no idea it held any real meaning. The arrow made immediate sense to me.

HATE the new charging slider - it's half the size it used to be and is ridiculously small. The way it was before was fine. Change for the sake of change. This is the worst release, in my opinion. You can't tell what is or is not actionable, requiring more time to figure out and that is not good when you are taking eyes off the road. Media is such a mess I don't even know where to begin. Want to check the cell signal? Now you have to tap the touchscreen to see something that was displayed in the previous version. More "eyes off the road". Tesla, you are aware that about 50,000 of your vehicle fleet doesn't have AP and can't rely on the car to steer itself why we try and figure out your badly designed UI?

Navigation now shows fewer turn-by-turn directions in the list than 7.x, even when you maximize the map, unless I'm not remembering correctly. The maximize/minimize icon in the lower left of each app panel no longer has shading underneath it and it blends completely with the map behind it. SLOPPY as sh*t on most fronts. Version 6.x was properly designed, in my opinion, and the UI went downhill with 7.x. If Elon is driving the UI changes, he needs a wakeup call and needs to hire a competent UI designer. I used to design UIs back in the late 90s and even I did a better job with difficult functionality than what Tesla is putting out today.

The size of the navigation history pop-up list is also needlessly small when we have so much screen real estate. Now I have to squint to see the history and it's difficult to see that you can touch "Favorites" because it appears greyed-out. I wonder if Tesla's UI team has any experience in UI, or if they are simply software engineers tasked with the UI as a side project?

I am deeply disappointed in this release from Tesla. They can, and should, do so much better.

It also has a small vertical visual indicator showing how close I am to my next turn.

This is what I was talking about, for anyone who still doesn't understand:

NavArrow.jpg

The white arrow moves upward toward the dot as I approach the next turn. I like this because when I'm in a crowded area watching for pedestrians and traffic a simple visual queue like this is better than trying to comprehend the map itself and judge how close the red arrow is to the corner. It might be totally useless to most people but I find it strangely helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: Mayhemm and Canuck
This is what I was talking about, for anyone who still doesn't understand:

View attachment 196807

The white arrow moves upward toward the dot as I approach the next turn. I like this because when I'm in a crowded area watching for pedestrians and traffic a simple visual queue like this is better than trying to comprehend the map itself and judge how close the red arrow is to the corner. It might be totally useless to most people but I find it strangely helpful.
Your SOC isn't covered. :eek:

Edit: Oh, wait, no lane guidance. I got excited that they actually fixed that there for a second. Nevermind.

HATE the new charging slider - it's half the size it used to be and is ridiculously small. The way it was before was fine. Change for the sake of change. This is the worst release, in my opinion. You can't tell what is or is not actionable, requiring more time to figure out and that is not good when you are taking eyes off the road. Media is such a mess I don't even know where to begin. Want to check the cell signal? Now you have to tap the touchscreen to see something that was displayed in the previous version. More "eyes off the road". Tesla, you are aware that about 50,000 of your vehicle fleet doesn't have AP and can't rely on the car to steer itself why we try and figure out your badly designed UI?

Navigation now shows fewer turn-by-turn directions in the list than 7.x, even when you maximize the map, unless I'm not remembering correctly. The maximize/minimize icon in the lower left of each app panel no longer has shading underneath it and it blends completely with the map behind it. SLOPPY as sh*t on most fronts. Version 6.x was properly designed, in my opinion, and the UI went downhill with 7.x. If Elon is driving the UI changes, he needs a wakeup call and needs to hire a competent UI designer. I used to design UIs back in the late 90s and even I did a better job with difficult functionality than what Tesla is putting out today.

The size of the navigation history pop-up list is also needlessly small when we have so much screen real estate. Now I have to squint to see the history and it's difficult to see that you can touch "Favorites" because it appears greyed-out. I wonder if Tesla's UI team has any experience in UI, or if they are simply software engineers tasked with the UI as a side project?

I am deeply disappointed in this release from Tesla. They can, and should, do so much better.
Woe, I missed some of those defects. Now I am even more bummed out. Thanks, Amped.
Maybe we can do a Kickstarter to get Tesla a decent UI/UX designer? Maybe starting with a guy who actually drives a car?

Reactions: Mayhemm
Can one of you UI designers explain to me why Tesla talks continually about their focus on safety and then insists on buttons the size of a dime for frequently used functions. I hate AC for instance but often have to use it because I live in a warm climate. So I need to toggle both the fan and AC buttons or reset buttons. With all of that real estate, why isn't the HVSC panel four times larger?

I've been complaining for four years.

• Love
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I got excited that they actually fixed that there for a second. Nevermind.
Ha! I know what you're talking about though. The exterior temperature and state of charge indicators still get covered up by the big exit ramp graphic during navigation. I don't really care about that, but I have thought it a little odd that the UI team made the choice to cover that information.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Ha! I know what you're talking about though. The exterior temperature and state of charge indicators still get covered up by the big exit ramp graphic during navigation. I don't really care about that, but I have thought it a little odd that the UI team made the choice to cover that information.
It's actually any time it provides a lane suggestion, not just when the huge exit ramp graphic is up. I'm not actually sure if that big graphic covers the SOC or not. Here's what I'm talking about, for example:
IMG_6103.JPG

Most of my drive looks like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone

So true......

I've decided for me the worst part about the v8 upgrade is the removal of audio source from the steering wheel controls. I run nav on top and Waze in browser on bottom of the IC permanently. I change media sources quite often to check traffic then flip back to music, or listen to talk radio then on commercial break listen to tunes before coming back. The V7 process was:
1) hit menu on right steering wheel control
2) select choice with right steering wheel dial

Now the v8 process is:
1) take eyes off the road and reach over to IC and tap nav to bring down hidden top icons
2) tap media app
3) hit the source I want on MP app
4) tap and hold browser to drag it back to bottom screen where it was
5) eyes back on the road

• Informative
Reactions: markn455