Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software and Camera Issues After Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping the experts here may be able to help out with an issue. I drove my car 3 hours today to the Nashville Service Center. In less than 3 hours, they performed my Infotainment Upgrade. Went from MCU1 to MCU2 and from HW2.0 to HW3.0. They said the software pushed fine. I verified that my keyfob worked and that my app was connecting with the car.

As I started to pull away, I noticed there was a software update that was attempting to download. I probably should have just stayed until it updated but it was creeping slowly. I set up my hotspot and downloaded it on the drive. It downloaded fine and then downloaded 2 back to back "game updates." It seemingly installed them as well. I am showing that everything is up to date.

Here's where it gets weird. I try to turn on the Stop Sign and Red Light Beta tab but it isn't highlighted. Under it, it says it may need to download maps first. I went back in to the Software screen to try to push another download. It says it's up to date. I called Tesla. They say the car is in a "handshake" with their server and is stuck at the beginning of a download cycle (eventhough I am showing up to date). They say they can escalate to try to have it "re-pushed" but maybe not til next week.

In addition to this, I also notice that I have no rear camera on Sentry or in Dashcam. I have a rear camera when I back up but when I play back Sentry or Dashcam, I only have the 2 side cameras and the front camera. I thought this may be part of the download they say needs to come through. Who knows? When I look at the "Release Notes" for the most recent upgrade, it shows Stop Sign and Red Light Beta, Improved Backup Camera, Improved Sentry etc, so it seems up to date on my end. Any thoughts? (I've tried 3 scroll wheel resets. I have not completely powered down because Tesla said that could be bad for the car while it was attempting to download)

• Disagree
Reactions: chmax73
What version are the maps on your car? (Not it can take about a day after current maps are downloaded before you can enable the stop sign and red light feature.)

As far as the rear camera when were the Sentry/Dashcam recordings you are viewing recorded? (After the upgrade?)

What version are the maps on your car? (Not it can take about a day after current maps are downloaded before you can enable the stop sign and red light feature.)

As far as the rear camera when were the Sentry/Dashcam recordings you are viewing recorded? (After the upgrade?)

I'm not sure what version of maps I have. I can look if you can tell me where to look for that. I just see the Software update information.

In terms of the recordings, yes, all were done after the upgrade. Coming from MCU1, I never had the ability to make recordings until this upgrade, so they are all from today.

Good to know. I'll give it a day or two and see what happens. Thanks.

First time poster here: I'm curious if the issue you've described rectified itself after a day or so. I'm scheduled for the MCU1 to MCU2 and from HW2.0 to HW3.0 install in the next week and would really appreciate knowing what I should be sure to check out prior to driving away from service location.

On another note, I've seen where many owners have listed their used MCU1 for sale on numerous sites after their install of the MCU2. How is this possible? Do I have rights to the MCU1 that is being removed from my vehicle, as in I just tell service that I want the MCU1 once it's removed? I'm also having the infotainment system upgrade done at the same time. Not sure this has any impact on whether I can request the MCU1 or not. Would be interested in comments anyone has.

I'm hoping the experts here may be able to help out with an issue. I drove my car 3 hours today to the Nashville Service Center. In less than 3 hours, they performed my Infotainment Upgrade. Went from MCU1 to MCU2 and from HW2.0 to HW3.0. They said the software pushed fine. I verified that my keyfob worked and that my app was connecting with the car.

As I started to pull away, I noticed there was a software update that was attempting to download. I probably should have just stayed until it updated but it was creeping slowly. I set up my hotspot and downloaded it on the drive. It downloaded fine and then downloaded 2 back to back "game updates." It seemingly installed them as well. I am showing that everything is up to date.

Here's where it gets weird. I try to turn on the Stop Sign and Red Light Beta tab but it isn't highlighted. Under it, it says it may need to download maps first. I went back in to the Software screen to try to push another download. It says it's up to date. I called Tesla. They say the car is in a "handshake" with their server and is stuck at the beginning of a download cycle (eventhough I am showing up to date). They say they can escalate to try to have it "re-pushed" but maybe not til next week.

In addition to this, I also notice that I have no rear camera on Sentry or in Dashcam. I have a rear camera when I back up but when I play back Sentry or Dashcam, I only have the 2 side cameras and the front camera. I thought this may be part of the download they say needs to come through. Who knows? When I look at the "Release Notes" for the most recent upgrade, it shows Stop Sign and Red Light Beta, Improved Backup Camera, Improved Sentry etc, so it seems up to date on my end. Any thoughts? (I've tried 3 scroll wheel resets. I have not completely powered down because Tesla said that could be bad for the car while it was attempting to download)
At least you got infotainment, still in a wait mode here.
S HW3 FSD

After the infotainment upgrade I'm having an issue where the music app mutes on its own and the volume won't go up without a reboot. Happens fairly frequently. On the road right now so don't have time for a service visit. Anybody else seen this?
Are you sure it is muted? or has song just stopped? if you hit next song on Steering wheel does it start playing? Not sure why but Sometimes I need to hit next song to get it playing again.

First time poster here: I'm curious if the issue you've described rectified itself after a day or so. I'm scheduled for the MCU1 to MCU2 and from HW2.0 to HW3.0 install in the next week and would really appreciate knowing what I should be sure to check out prior to driving away from service location.

On another note, I've seen where many owners have listed their used MCU1 for sale on numerous sites after their install of the MCU2. How is this possible? Do I have rights to the MCU1 that is being removed from my vehicle, as in I just tell service that I want the MCU1 once it's removed? I'm also having the infotainment system upgrade done at the same time. Not sure this has any impact on whether I can request the MCU1 or not. Would be interested in comments anyone has.

I just had my MCU2 upgrade here in the UK. I asked to keep my old hardware and was told the hardware was 'restricted' items. I'm not sure if it's even legal for them to keep your old parts since you own the car but they were pretty stern about it.

No, it mutes. When I try to turn up the volume with the left scroll wheel it shows 1 momentarily then bumps back down to mute. It sometimes happens in the middle of a song. The only fix is a reboot. Happened today on a very short drive. Very annoying.

I have a different issue. My 2017 90D sometimes wakes up with no audio, not just no stereo, no turn signals, nothing. I have to reboot. A ranger came out today and had me unplug my USB drive (I have quite literally the same device formatted with the same procedure in my Y with no problems). Let’s see if that solves the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I have a different issue. My 2017 90D sometimes wakes up with no audio, not just no stereo, no turn signals, nothing. I have to reboot. A ranger came out today and had me unplug my USB drive (I have quite literally the same device formatted with the same procedure in my Y with no problems). Let’s see if that solves the problem.
My muting issue has disappeared since an update about a week ago.

Be patient. Give it a day or two. It took me a good day or two before all the new stuff was downloaded, the cameras were calibrated, etc.

Same. One thing that I've noticed is that the latest software was already pending (100% download complete, but still not available for install). I waited a full day to see if it will finish checking the download. Since it did not, I decided to do a full reboot after that. So finally, on day 3 since getting the car back, I received a prompt that there is a new software available. All the new functionality was present after that.

• Informative
My muting issue has disappeared since an update about a week ago.
Me too. I was ready to cancel the ranger who came out to service the car.
But then I had a hard crash (both screens out) while it was sitting at home the morning before service so I didn't cancel.
Tesla told him to disconnect any USB devices (I have the same exact drive, down to the image in my Y with NO PROBLEMS at all).
I did that and sent him on his way (we both agreed it was crazy they sent him out to say that).
I had a long drive to make that day so I set off and …I had two hard crashes, requiring me to reboot the MCU and IC, while driving. I am pretty sure it had something to do with using the turn signal and taking manually over from FSD. The symptom was a frozen screen.

I made appointment with service on the next available slot. November 8. :/

I have and have had similar issues with my model X after the MCU2 upgrade. For me everything worked fine for a few drives then I too had a hard crash where both screens blacked out on me while driving. Luckily I was only a few blocks away from my house and decided to just drive home. As I put the vehicle in park both screens came back to life so I hoped it was just a minor glitch. A few days later a software update was available and when I tried to install it the car wouldn't take it. The car kept saying it was up to date but the app kept showing a newer version of software available. I set up a service appointment and began trying to troubleshoot the issue with a series of reboot attempts. The first reboot I did both screens would not turn on. Several reboots later I finally got them to turn on. I decided not to mess with the car anymore and wait for my appointment when Tesla contacted me and said they wanted me to remove my USB device (which never caused a single issue prior to the upgrade) and they were going to try to push the update through. It worked and I got the same song and dance about USB sticks causing issues. Everything was working again until the next software update. This time I removed the USB prior to pushing install but still had several issues with the cameras displaying black squares on the MCU. After several reboots those issues worked them selves out. Today I received a notification of another new software update and this time after pressing install the car totally shut down and would not communicate with the app. After several reboots I was able to get the car to wake up (minus the two screens) and now my app shows the software update stuck at 1%. I'll be making an appointment tomorrow and hopefully I can get the screens to wake up.