Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Bugs Out when Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a problem with my car physically or is this a software bug?

It goes nuts everytime I supercharge now. Cameras freeze up, I get warnings about parking brake engaged, TPMS light, park assist unavailable (all flickering in and out), the FSD display is about 1 frame per second, lose network connectivity.

Then I just do the 2 button force reboot of the display and everything goes back to normal. And no errors or warnings in the log.

All the while the car charges normally and drives normally.

Goes on about it's merry business as if nothing occurred once reset.

Also none of this occurs when L2 charging at home.

Version 2021.44.6

I think this might be a memory leak if it isn't hardware related. I noticed what also happens during this is my trip cycles back and forth between sufficient charge reached to continue trip and X minutes remain to continue trip. Over and over again. Like it's rummaging through some components in some sort of loop until it fills the system memory, which then causes the odd behavior until I reboot.

Charging now at a supercharger with navigation cleared (i.e. no trip in progress) and it's not giving me issue yet. Going from 17%-90% (final leg of a road trip). I'll report back if I leave without incident.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Nope that wasn't it. It's crashing again. Just freezing up and going nuts.

This must be some sort of cross talk between the MCU and the DC charging circuitry or it's another software bug I can't adequately diagnose.

We saw those too and it happened every time we supercharged.

Crazy reboots, the screens would lock up.

Even had the entire UI shut down while I was driving down the interstate once -- didn't know how fast I was driving and nothing worked (except the car would drive).

After we updated to 2021.44.25.2 we never saw those problems again for several days now and we've supercharged three times since.

No luck for me. On the 2021.44.24.2 version which Tesla pushed to my car with the message that they hoped it would resolve the issue.

It did not.

I supercharged once just to top off and it was fine,

But as soon as I needed to supercharge up from 20% today the same problem returned.

I have the same trouble on new LR MS. It's now in for service for the third time. First two times (once in CT and once in FL), they updated firmware, and then tested by charging at nearest supercharger. But the problem typically appears after a longer drive. And as you said, it can always be cleared with reset.

I have the same problem! New in December LR Model S. It's now in for service for the third time. First in CT, now in FL. Both times they updated firmware, and then tested at nearby supercharger. But my problems typically crop up after a longer drive. Let me know if your problem was resolved.

It goes nuts everytime I supercharge now. Cameras freeze up, I get warnings about parking brake engaged, TPMS light, park assist unavailable (all flickering in and out), the FSD display is about 1 frame per second, lose network connectivity.

Then I just do the 2 button force reboot of the display and everything goes back to normal. And no errors or warnings in the log.

Version 2021.44.6
The same exact thing happened to me a few days ago coming back from Indiana when I stopped at the supercharger my 2021 Tesla model S Plaid the first time it said the power was reduced but I was still able to drive. Then the next time all the things you mentioned happened.

Version 2021.44.6
What was the outcome of this? I’m having the exact same issues on my model 3

I am having this issue on my 2022 X Plaid. I am on an old sw version since I just got the car but it bugs out when supercharging or when using navigation to precondition for supercharging. I thought it was a software issue and would be resolved when I move from the delivery software. From this thread it seems this a computer issue?

I am having this issue on my 2022 X Plaid. I am on an old sw version since I just got the car but it bugs out when supercharging or when using navigation to precondition for supercharging. I thought it was a software issue and would be resolved when I move from the delivery software. From this thread it seems this a computer issue?
They remote diagnosed mine and said I need a new compute. They are working on it now.