Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Changes in 2019.5.15 f5def7e Preventing Sleeping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I've noticed since I upgraded to 2019.5.15, my car has been reporting that it has been unable to sleep. At the time, I did not have sentry mode enabled.

I've also noticed that data collection via my C2 device on the OBD port (from FleetCarma) stopped working properly since the update, and it has not been able to capture data from the car.

I've rebooted the car this evening in hopes that I will see a change, I should know later on this evening or by tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
Yes, it takes a bit of work to get to, and it requires an adapter cable. I've attached a couple images of the install, its accessible once you take off a rear panel in the center console.

With Panel Off:

IMG_4442.jpeg

After installing adapter cable and C2 device:

IMG_4443.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davedavedave
Yes, it takes a bit of work to get to, and it requires an adapter cable. I've attached a couple images of the install, its accessible once you take off a rear panel in the center console.

Thank You for the pics and write up....much appreciated ! I was looking at a HUD that connected to an OBD II port, but couldn't find one in the dash. Never occurred to me to look back there. I'm used to the center screen now, so quit looking for an HUD.

Where did you get the adaptor ?

Thank You for the pics and write up....much appreciated ! I was looking at a HUD that connected to an OBD II port, but couldn't find one in the dash. Never occurred to me to look back there. I'm used to the center screen now, so quit looking for an HUD.

Where did you get the adaptor ?

Mine is a custom cable manufactured by Geotab. The P/N HRN-CT20T1. You can see a picture of it here: Harness Identification and Application - Geotab

I did not pay for it, and got it free by applying through a smart rewards program offered by FleetCarma (a division of Geotab in Canada) and ConEdison, our energy supplier here in NYC. ConEd is apparently paying them to collect data, and I get cash back if I charge off-peak hours. FleetCarma is running similar programs in a few states (NY, Nebraska and Tennessee), I'm not sure if California is coming or not. You may be able to contact Geotab and ask if you can purchase one, or at least ask them for the pin-outs and build it.

I've spoken now to several owners that are having this same issue. Has anyone else captured its failure to sleep and have the data available? I've extracted the raw API calls and see that we attempted to sleep, but failed many times over the course of a 24 hour period. I will probably report it to Tesla today, assuming I can get through quickly enough.

Yes updated to 2019.5.15 on 3/12 and the car hasn't slept since. I'm using TeslaFi. I'm changing TeslaFi's Time to try sleeping from 5 minutes up to 10 and will keep increasing till the car finally sleeps.

Let me know if you have success here. I've got a break now, and will phone over to Tesla to see if this issue has been reported yet and what they may be doing about it. I would imagine they know already.

I had a similar problem. Fixed it by powering off the car through a reset (holding steering wheel buttons and brake) and also through the power off option in the car menu and waiting a few minutes to turn it back on. Has slept normally since then (as observed through teslafi).

Reactions: GolanB
This is happening to both my S and 3 on 2019.5.15. I'll attempt doing the reset method described in the post above later today to see if that helps, though I'm not holding my breath. ;)

My cars do sleep during the times defined by Deep Sleep Mode under TeslaFi but not the hours outside of that, even though I have my attempt to sleep set to 5 and idle time before sleep also set to 5.

I had a similar problem. Fixed it by powering off the car through a reset (holding steering wheel buttons and brake) and also through the power off option in the car menu and waiting a few minutes to turn it back on. Has slept normally since then (as observed through teslafi).

Thanks for this response. Tesla just had me power off the car, and wait a few minutes. I'll check in to see if this has resolved it for me via TeslaFi. Earlier yesterday I attempted to reset by holding the steering wheel buttons and this did not help.

Let me know if you have success here. I've got a break now, and will phone over to Tesla to see if this issue has been reported yet and what they may be doing about it. I would imagine they know already.

It fixed it.
Ok so I changed TeslaFi's 'Time to try sleeping' and 'Idle time before trying to sleep' both from 5 minutes to 8 - didn't fix it. Then upped it to 12 and that fixed it. The car is now sleeping for the first time since the update.

I am now lowering the time back down to see where the threshold is. Also, I'm not sure i needed to change the 'Idle time before trying to sleep' setting so I may try changing that back to 5 minutes first. Then I'll try backing down the 'Time to try sleeping' - starting with 10 minutes.

It fixed it.
Ok so I changed TeslaFi's 'Time to try sleeping' and 'Idle time before trying to sleep' both from 5 minutes to 8 - didn't fix it. Then upped it to 12 and that fixed it. The car is now sleeping for the first time since the update.

I am now lowering the time back down to see where the threshold is. Also, I'm not sure i needed to change the 'Idle time before trying to sleep' setting so I may try changing that back to 5 minutes first. Then I'll try backing down the 'Time to try sleeping' - starting with 10 minutes.

My settings are as follows (and they've been this way for two weeks) --

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 12.13.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 12.13.48 PM.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 69
I checked my C2 unit and it's working. But a friend advised me to always do a reset after an update, so maybe that's why mine is working. Did you do a reset after the update? I also had no problem with my car going to sleep. I, on the other hand...

I don't typically issue a reset after update, but in this case, after two days of no data-collection I did reset. I have the same issue. I've opened a case with FleetCarma / GeoTab and I'm waiting a response. Tesla had me powerdown fully, which I've done, and I'm waiting to see if there is a change. I'm going to take the car out for a quick drive in a few minutes while the weather in NYC is still holding up ;)