Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Changes in 2019.5.15 f5def7e Preventing Sleeping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019.5.15 actually helped my car from sleeping too deeply. About 50% of the time that I got in the car the screen would be black and would typically take 45-60 seconds to reboot.

I suspect the fix for that problem is related to your issue.

Interesting - I've never had that issue; and I haven't seen it amongst the Tesla Model 3 peer group in the region.

Me too. About 8 miles a night. Teslafi is turned off from 9:00 p.m. to 7 A.M.

I asked the Tesla Customer Sevice representative whether or not she could find a known issue with this build, she spent some time researching but did not find anything. I was told she'd email me if she did; she was going to check with her team. She suggested I put in a ticket with the service center, and go in, but I'd really like to avoid doing this for what appears to be a software issue.

I am losing considerable amount of miles after update 2019.5.15. I used to lose only 1-2 miles a day before this update. (2018.50.x). Now, I am losing anywhere between 6-8 miles a day. Nothing changes in settings and temps are better now. No Sentry feature or dog mode are enabled.

Not sure what is going on. I did reset once hoping to resolve this issue, but have not seen any change.

So my car did not sleep at all today. It lost a total of 17 miles of range due to phantom drain, the day before 13, and the day before that 30. I was averaging about 5 miles of lost range a day prior to the update.

In the mean time, TeslaFi is reporting a new software build (2019.8.2 5c510a7) being rolled out to part of the Model 3 Fleet. I'm going to give it a few more days and then I'll schedule a service center visit.

Yes updated to 2019.5.15 on 3/12 and the car hasn't slept since. I'm using TeslaFi. I'm changing TeslaFi's Time to try sleeping from 5 minutes up to 10 and will keep increasing till the car finally sleeps.

I had to set it to 15 minutes. Often takes 12-14 minutes to sleep. It was that way since I got my model 3 in October. It actually goes to sleep quicker on average now than it did then.

Interesting - I've never had that issue; and I haven't seen it amongst the Tesla Model 3 peer group in the region.

I had the issue described ( sleeping too deeply ) which was fixed by 5.15 as mentioned. Symptom was black tesla T logo on entering car 50% of time as mentioned, even after exiting car for 10 minutes. Hasnt done it since 5.15, so I too suspect that your issue is related to the fix for that.

I also dont use any third party apps at all. Only mentioning it as a data point, not to (re) bring up the third party apps vs drain discussions.

So my car did not sleep at all today. It lost a total of 17 miles of range due to phantom drain, the day before 13, and the day before that 30. I was averaging about 5 miles of lost range a day prior to the update.

In the mean time, TeslaFi is reporting a new software build (2019.8.2 5c510a7) being rolled out to part of the Model 3 Fleet. I'm going to give it a few more days and then I'll schedule a service center visit.

So I disabled Tesla-Fi and my car went right to sleep. Seems they aren’t playing well together on this Update unfortunately. Might want to try the same.

So I disabled Tesla-Fi and my car went right to sleep. Seems they aren’t playing well together on this Update unfortunately. Might want to try the same.
Someone above said they had to set the time that teslafi tries to sleep to 15 minutes up from their previous value or 5. I've always had mine at 15 and have had no problems. You might want to try 15 or even 30 minutes. If you set it too low the car will never sleep.

Someone above said they had to set the time that teslafi tries to sleep to 15 minutes up from their previous value or 5. I've always had mine at 15 and have had no problems. You might want to try 15 or even 30 minutes. If you set it too low the car will never sleep.

I had a staggering 46mi of phantom drain for Saturday. The car was not driven at all, but remained plugged in and set to 90%.

Here are my Raw Stats since this morning: TeslaFi Stats Mar 17.xlsx . You can see that the car fails to sleep, and is collecting sensor data constantly.

In terms of settings, we are currently at the TeslaFi default of 15 minutes for "Time to Try Sleeping, and 30 Mins for "Idle Time Before Trying to Sleep". A Try to Sleep requirement of "No Shift State Reading". I'm still not sleeping overnight. I've just enabled Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode between 10PM and 8AM. I'll see how it does overnight tonight.

I am still without a solution, so far I have:

1. Opened a support case with Tesla. They recommended I shutdown the Tesla (which I did) and boot back. This did not resolve it. Now they want me to schedule a service with the service center. I'm holding off for now because this really feels like a software issue. Tesla support said they'd get back to me after researching this issue with other customers. They never did get back to me. I sent them an email this afternoon detailing the issue from the begining (no response yet).

2. Opened a case with TeslaFi to see if they've noted a similar issue with other cars in their fleet running the same code. (no response yet).

3. Posted a note to the TeslaFi user community to report the issue (no response yet).

4. Since this also broke the integration with the SmartRewards program, where one can get incentives for charging off-peak, I also opened up a case with FleetCarma. They acknowledged the issue, but have not yet pushed a fix. They said this has been a problem with Tesla's rapidly changing code base.

Note:

Some users have reported that changing their Tesla Password (invalidating API keys, and effectively shutting out access to 3rd party apps) has helped.

One user reported changing their TeslaFi polling settings helped them (it did not for me).

In the mean time, I have not yet removed third party app integrations. I will towards the end of the week, barring other options.

Here is a chart (from Tezlab) showing my daily Phantom Drain (red selection) since the update. One can easily see the difference. During the winter, I can expect up to 100miles of phantom drain in a given month, and I'm now seeing over 100miles of phantom drain in a short number of days. Some days are worse than others, but it is not uncommon to have almost 30 miles of lost range per day (the worst day I had 46 miles of lost range).

Phantom Drain Chart Below:
IMG_4510.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck