Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software crash on v9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d)

Are you facing crash or battery drain issues with v9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d)

• Yes

• No

• Don't know but my battery is draining faster than normal

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019.8.5 is really annoying.

Mine AP2.0 is rebooting almost everyday.
Today, after I summoned the car into the garage, plugged the charger in like everyday routine - then walked away. 2 hours later, When I was driving another car into the garage, I heard the music. Looked into the X passenger door - omg the car was awake & unlocked. All door closed, no keyfob inside, no passive entry. Opened the door then closed made no any effect. Had to reboot the computer to make it normal again.

I had this exact same issue happen to my car. I had to manually power it off. Ever since that happened, I check my car via the app to see if it is awake. The way to check is to see if Media option shows in the app after you have walked away. This means the car is awake and you need to manually turn it off or reset the computer to avoid battery drain.

Reactions: r0xx0r
same here, rebooted twice while driving since updated to 2019.8.5 last Friday April 5.... Also noticed that if usb flash key plugged in, release note will never show up. Unplug usb key, reboot manually would fix this... Very weird.

Yes my MX MCU rebooted several times today. It has happened after getting the lastest 2019.8.x updates. Slacker is also having issues and after the reboots, navigation can be slow to work normally again. I have a service appointment next week for a different issue but will let them know about this issue.

Similar experience here. Spotify stutters frequently and this morning the vehicle appeared to be stuck in "powering up" mode with the main display remaining black. Freaked me out a little. I reset and after a few minutes the main screen came to life, phew .... I think this version (2019.8.5) is the most unstable version released so far. I also think there's a lot more processing going on with this release. My vehicle is a Dec. 2017 model, so I believe H/W 2.5, still the older MCU because I only have 3G.

I had this exact same issue happen to my car. I had to manually power it off. Ever since that happened, I check my car via the app to see if it is awake. The way to check is to see if Media option shows in the app after you have walked away. This means the car is awake and you need to manually turn it off or reset the computer to avoid battery drain.

I've had this 3x now as well. In addition to daily reboots while driving.... not good.

(I'm on 8.5, MS, AP2.5, MCU1)

I really hesitate to post because it will jinx my X :( Nonetheless, I have not experienced any of these issues since upgrading to 2019 5 on April 4. I have only driven for 10 hours and just over 350 miles so anecdotal info by all means. I have an August 2018 build X75D with 2.5 and MCU2

I really hesitate to post because it will jinx my X :( Nonetheless, I have not experienced any of these issues since upgrading to 2019 5 on April 4. I have only driven for 10 hours and just over 350 miles so anecdotal info by all means. I have an August 2018 build X75D with 2.5 and MCU2

You probably dont need to worry as you have an MCU2. I think it is happening to people with MCU1 alone.

Similar experience here. Spotify stutters frequently and this morning the vehicle appeared to be stuck in "powering up" mode with the main display remaining black. Freaked me out a little. I reset and after a few minutes the main screen came to life, phew .... I think this version (2019.8.5) is the most unstable version released so far. I also think there's a lot more processing going on with this release. My vehicle is a Dec. 2017 model, so I believe H/W 2.5, still the older MCU because I only have 3G.

I have a Dec 2017 build X75D with MCU1 and get LTE. So not sure if that's the best way to differentiate MCU1 from 2..

This may be the same thing I got yesterday. All black screens and unresponsive when I got in the car. I rebooted by holding down both buttons on the steering wheel and was good to go.
We've exprienced the same thing twice now with 2019.8.3. My wife also reports that pressing Park while in the dark screen state washed the windows!

I am on v9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d)

1) software crashed while driving earlier today. The car continued driving and responding to acceleration, brakes etc but it was a scary moment, the software restarted automatically
2) battery consumed far more than needed. I have an approx 10 miles round trip to drop my son to the school and it consumed 16 miles even though the car took 252 Wh/mi over the past 15 miles.
3) after the software crash the system restarted while I was still driving and it displayed 101 miles and within a less than a mile drive dropped to 98 miles.

Can you please detail how you determined the "Software memory leak" that you put in the title?

Reactions: Alketi
Have you also noticed audio skipping or distorted music when listening to slacker radio? I am having a lot of slowdown and the MCU feels unstable since 8.2. Wonder if it gets worse from here..

I have lost so much functionality since the 8.2 update. I have actually had it in the service center due to a repetitively faulty passenger side window since this, and they had to replace my whole MCU because the update would not take. My homelink was not working properly, audio 'skipping' from slacker and TuneIn on my podcasts. I've resorted to using my phone for audio through the bluetooth, but even that seems sketchy, sometimes it won't connect to my phone, sometimes it will connect to my phone when my kids walk into the garage with my keys to plug the car in. I have also had the MCU crash while driving, multiple times in my 1 hour morning commute just today in fact. I have also had it do a partial crash, where the background apps crashed, but my rear camera stayed active through the whole restart.