Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Download Delay/Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

2012 Sig Perf #236 VIN#484; 2018 P100D; 2021 Plaid
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
I still don't have the option to install the latest software on my Model S. I have decent 3G connectivity in the garage so that should not be a limiting factor. I wonder what the sequencing model is?

There are only a few thousand in the field right now - how does this scale to the tens of thousands?

There should be an "on demand" mode for the anxious...

I still don't have the option to install the latest software on my Model S. I have decent 3G connectivity in the garage so that should not be a limiting factor. I wonder what the sequencing model is?

There are only a few thousand in the field right now - how does this scale to the tens of thousands?

There should be an "on demand" mode for the anxious...

Oh, you mean the "N downloads at the same time" mode, where N is exactly equal to the number of cars out there???

Oh, you mean the "N downloads at the same time" mode, where N is exactly equal to the number of cars out there???

I think you would be surprised - Some carriers have an android upgrade model that work in this fashion. Most people just wait for the software push to happen. Only a small percentage of people are avid technology centric people. Higher percentage for the Model S, but I think it would still not be an overwhelming number.

When they need to scale, they'll use Akamai the way everyone else does. That will allow them service a large number of cars without requiring all that many servers and it scales to many millions. Of course, they'll have to have WiFi ready before that happens, but I don't doubt that that WiFi will be in one of the next few upgrades.

OK – a somewhat long winded possible explanation here.

I suspect tesla using a similar scheme to android OTAs. With android, each device in the field has a unique secret security identifier which is used to encrypt "secrets" on the device (if the device mfg got their security correct). This includes users who encrypt their phone as well as other assets such as DRM keys that hollywood insists on being kept secure (which authorize your device to play protected content). The reason the keys are unique is so if a device is hacked/cracked, posting the resultant secret key publicly does not compromise any other device.

As part of the device security, the device always needs to validate that the software update coming to it is trusted and authorized (else you really don't have security). Thus every android OTA update is individually signed or encrypted for your device and pushed out separately. This is why android updates for a particular phone are staggered and take a week or more to roll out. You could parallelize the process by getting a whole bunch more servers to do more encryption/pushing in parallel but at end of day, is a ROI decision (how much capital expense on servers vs how long to update all your devices in field).

My guess is that each model S also has a unique security key which the OTA needs to be signed for. Thus they cannot do a universal blast.

Caveats to above are details between different android developers may differ slightly (such as using public/private keys, etc) but general concept/flow is the same. Another complication is rooted devices which generally only root at the OS level and not the firmware level (thus device is actually still secure but key boxes are hidden from the rooted OS so you lose all your security based functionality such as DRM playback).

@Doug_G, I agree with you as well here (and is also often seen in android land where updates get pulled in case of early issues). Especially as with the current volume of MS on road is small so should not be any signing bottleneck on server side (I am hoping/assuming updates are signed per car).

Last edited: