Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software download stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Hi, gang. We’ve had Wattney for over a year, and received lots of software updates without problem. But now she’s been “stuck” for almost two weeks. We have the orange down arrow on top, indicating she wants software. She’s attached to our WiFi network as usual. The software screen shows about 2% progress, which hasn’t changed. I have rebooted. Here’s a screenshot in case any of my words aren’t clear. (I must have wiggled just as I clicked—I meant to include the orange download arrow and WiFi icon at the top.) Note the tiny green bit of progress bar near the bottom under “Please connect...”

Any magic cures to kickstart the download?

CA7FF72A-CA10-4551-9350-2965F20577F1.jpeg

I watched the update on and off today looking forward to V10 but no luck, the download did move slowly over 4-5 hours but now it's stuck at 100% but didn't trigger the install message.

I haven't had any issues with updates in the last 15 months. Maybe the morning will surprise me.

So, for the benefit of anyone with a stuck download (mine was stuck for about 2 weeks), this fixed it for me.

I used my phone app to schedule a service appointment. I chose “Software Update” as my type of service, and entered a short blurb describing that the download had been stuck for a long time. I attached the photo you see above in the OP. I selected a time and location as though it would be a real visit to Tesla (which I was prepared to do, if they said so). The next day Tesla texted me: “We have canceled the stuck firmware download and started a new one for your Model 3.”

A little later, Wattney asked permission to install the update!

So I canceled my appointment.

I have the same issue where I am stuck with orange download arrow at the top and the progress bar around 50%. I first got the orange bar on my drive from work to home. When I reached home the arrow turned green once the car connected to wifi. I had to go some where in 15 minutes and this likely interrupted the download and the arrow turned orange and it stayed the same way since then. I tried rebooting the display using the scroll wheels. I tried the power off from menu options. I tried removing the wifi network and adding it back None of these made any difference. I scheduled an appointment with the service center using software update as the reason After a day there was a text from Tesla service center with link to instructions on Tesla website to reboot the screen. I replied that I already tried this and the other options available to me and this needs a remote push. No response. Still scheduled for an appointment with the service center in about a week. This seems to be a recurring problem based on the number of posts on this topic and it is surprising that Tesla does not have a way to automatically restart a failed download or at least have all the service centers with knowledgeable staff that can deal with this type of issue more efficiently.

I have the same issue where I am stuck with orange download arrow at the top and the progress bar around 50%. I first got the orange bar on my drive from work to home. When I reached home the arrow turned green once the car connected to wifi. I had to go some where in 15 minutes and this likely interrupted the download and the arrow turned orange and it stayed the same way since then. I tried rebooting the display using the scroll wheels. I tried the power off from menu options. I tried removing the wifi network and adding it back None of these made any difference. I scheduled an appointment with the service center using software update as the reason After a day there was a text from Tesla service center with link to instructions on Tesla website to reboot the screen. I replied that I already tried this and the other options available to me and this needs a remote push. No response. Still scheduled for an appointment with the service center in about a week. This seems to be a recurring problem based on the number of posts on this topic and it is surprising that Tesla does not have a way to automatically restart a failed download or at least have all the service centers with knowledgeable staff that can deal with this type of issue more efficiently.
Sorry to hear my “trick” didn’t work for you.

Yeah, some sort of button on that download screen to cancel or restart would save both owners and Tesla a bunch of nuisance.

Some other posters have mentioned this on other threads, but the fastest way to get this fixed seems to be through online chat via Tesla support web page. I waited about 20 mins to be connected to an agent, but they were able to re-push the update to my car. I sat in the car and watched as the download bar went from 50% back to 100% (it had been stuck on 100% for >1 week), stayed there for ~15 mins, and then went back down a bit before going back to 100%. A couple minutes after that, I got a notification on my phone from Tesla app that a software update was available. After clicking to install, I sat in the car and heard all the weird noises, headlight on/off, A/C off/on, until the screen rebooted and showed V10 properly installed. Whole process took just under 1 hour from download push to fully installed.

• Funny
Reactions: oliver4ever
Same thing happened to me today. After a week of getting an email notification on my app that version 10 was available, I escalated to Tesla and chatted with an RSM. They attempted to push me v10 firmware. I saw the update come through and it looked good up until the point I got a 100% green status bar and it just hung there. Said it was a known issue and are working on it with engineering.

Update on this. My service center rescheduled my appointment from a week later to 3 weeks later saying that "due to time constraints to fully diagnose the issues that were reported we need to reschedule your appointment". Other than sending the instructions to do a screen reboot they have done anything further at this point. I am not sure what justified this as I could see on the app that they had appointments still available on the same day I was originally scheduled for. I own TSLA and I am model Y reservation holder but if this is any indication of the quality of service then I am concerned for Tesla's future. I ended up getting this resolved via the chat option after trying a couple of days. The chat link is not directly available unless you jump through some hoops. The chat support availability times are not clearly listed. The wait times are unknown. The first day I tried I waited for about 45 minutes before dropping out. Using the javascript console my queue position was 36 on that day. I was able to finally get through after about 30 minutes the next day with a queue position of 12. The person on chat was helpful and able to push the update and it installed fine. I could have saved all of this hassle if only I knew that I should do not have done any thing to interrupt a software download that is in progress when the down arrow shows green.

HI all,
How do I get to chat. I cannot find any way to get to it from the support or contact us page. It only leads to a form to submit and I've done that and gotten a form letter back saying, you have to wait. Can someone outline step by step how to initiate a chat with support? Thanks!

So, for the benefit of anyone with a stuck download (mine was stuck for about 2 weeks), this fixed it for me.

I used my phone app to schedule a service appointment. I chose “Software Update” as my type of service, and entered a short blurb describing that the download had been stuck for a long time. I attached the photo you see above in the OP. I selected a time and location as though it would be a real visit to Tesla (which I was prepared to do, if they said so). The next day Tesla texted me: “We have canceled the stuck firmware download and started a new one for your Model 3.”

A little later, Wattney asked permission to install the update!

So I canceled my appointment.

Jumping in to say thanks to CharleyBC. I did exactly this, and Tesla fixed it remotely by the next morning. They sent me a text that said: "We restarted the updater and cleared your cache. Can you confirm the issue is resolved on your end please."
Yep. All better. Said thanks and canceled the appointment.

• Love
Reactions: CharleyBC
Hi all. Just got my 20 reg Tesla model 3 yesterday and was eager to update software. Connected to WiFi when I got home and software download started. But by bedtime {after about 6 hours} it was still only about 50% downloaded. Does it normally take this long?

my games like fallout shelter and cup head and uhh the farming one, all say UPDATE available
and i CANT play them...
im connected to wifi while im at home,
and its been like.. 4 days

reset the car and the tablet since then.
no luck...