Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software/ firmware questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
First off, what's the difference between software and firmware? How do I figure out what software (or firmware) my (recently purchased) used 08 roadster currently has in it? (Built 1/09.) What is the latest update for the PEM 185? And if mine is not the latest, is it possible to update it myself via a download online to a jump drive or the like for transfer purposes, or is it something only a dealer can do? Thanks again guys!

Firmware is burnt into a chip such as an EEPROM. Software is stored on storage devices, such as a hard drive or SSD drive, and loaded into memory before running.

When you switch on the car, the firmware version should flash briefly in the top right of the VDS. It is also recorded in the logs files.

I suspect that the latest versions are 3.5.18 and 4.6.4, depending on your car, but you would need to check with Tesla to be sure.

Chris,

Try with car off and vds off. Wait five minutes for car to sleep. Then insert and turn on key. As vds switches on the firmware version will flash in top right. Works on 2.x cars, but not sure about 1.5s.

I've been keeping the car plugged in. The vds has not turned off. What's the secret to get it to turn off?

It doesn't turn off when the car is plugged in.

There's a "sticky" on the owners manual here with a link to download the manual as a pdf.

If you need a Mobile Connector Users Manual, you should be able to get one from Tesla. I don't know if there's a download.

Last edited:
Watch the top right corner of the VDS the whole time:

1. Apply the brake
2. Insert your key
3. Turn key fully to start the car
4. For a second or two, you'll see the Tesla "shield" and in that top right corner you've been watching there will have been a number

That's your firmware version. Here's a pic:

IMG_1600_1.jpg

Here's a page that shows the different screens. Although it's an old firmware version it might be helpful in future.

Latest firmware version just out is 4.6.5 and follows up on HID light installation.

(Cross posted here.)

What exactly does it do to support the HID lights? I have the new headlights but the firmware wasn't out at the time. They still work but think the new ones keeps them from flickering when you turn the car on or something. Thanks.

What exactly does it do to support the HID lights? I have the new headlights but the firmware wasn't out at the time. They still work but think the new ones keeps them from flickering when you turn the car on or something. Thanks.

Good question. I didn't really follow up on that as they worked fine with version 4.6.4, which I already had. I'll probably see the Ranger again tomorrow so I'll ask him.

On my 08 roadster, my software is 3.6.7, with a small "11" underneath. So besides the headlight stuff, what other differences have there been? Should I upload something newer for my 08? And if so, how? Are your 4.6.4 and 4.6.5 you mention for the 2010 and/or 2011's, or possibly for the sport version? I wouldn't want to program in something not compatible with my older 08 non-sport.