Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Fix? to Heat Pump * Non-Heat Pump Model 3? Software Version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 (non-heat pump) but following all things Tesla I have been watching the journey of people in super cold climates (I am in moderate PA) with complete failures of the heating system.

I saw a twitter post (sorry. didn't catch the specifics) that indicated Tesla was pushing a "fix for our heat pump friends both M3/MY". What got my attention about this post was that it actually caused a heating failure in non-heat pump M3's like mine. Some indication on these issues that failures can cascade to do actual damage to hardware.

1. Can anyone supply the software version numbers of those recent fixes directed at the heat pump failures ?
2. Does anyone know a definitive way to tell from the VIN (or otherwise) whether an M3 has the heat pump or not (I have a neighbor with a newer M3)
3. Can anyone confirm problems with such a software upgrade causing a problem in an older non-heat pump M3, if so which software release number?

Found this on the Tesla PA Owners Forum (Thanks to David Floyd).

Aswers some of my questions but not all. I got 2021-44-30-7-software-update this morning but am holding off on install until I find more about what is happening with non-heat pump M3/My's.

Finally found the blow by blow (a lot from Canda about this)
This is a recent post from that long thread.

I could see nothing about impacts to M3/MY WITHOUT HEAT PUMPS....hope that is good news but I am still sitting on 2021-44-30-7-software-update
also would like to help my neighbor...

Here it is. "PTC Heater" is the resistive heater used in original M3's before Heatpump.

Still not clear on which software version might be implicated and there is some evidence this could be aharsware issue with old PTC Heaters.

My 2020 M3LR (without the heat pump) has the latest update and there has been no negative effects to the car's heating system that I can find. It's been below zero in the morning a few times in the last two weeks, yet when I get in the car it warms up within a few minutes and stays comfortably warm. I hate heated seats, so I just set the temperature to 70 and everything is fine. Just like it's always been.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Here it is. "PTC Heater" is the resistive heater used in original M3's before Heatpump.

Still not clear on which software version might be implicated and there is some evidence this could be aharsware issue with old PTC Heaters.
I started seeing reports of issues after -7 release. First report was from Australia where his A/C stopped working after software update.

It seems that the front flappers are freezing open which is the root cause. Might want to double check them to make sure they’re shut or even proactively cover the opening if your worried.

My M3 LR 2021 (delivered in 12/2020) with heat pump does the exact opposite. The front cover is not opening any more. It tries to open about 1 millimeter but then it makes a short squeeking noise and moves back to closed position.

The system didn‘t show any error messages. But it seems that cold air is coming from below the seat. The upper half of the car feels heated, but my legs get pretty cold.

I also get this message in Service Mode. Anyone else with this problem? Should I set an appointment?

Attachments

• EF6704CF-D481-45D8-B1C5-547DB2E19E29.jpeg
    EF6704CF-D481-45D8-B1C5-547DB2E19E29.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 1,620
The file Upload does not work... weird. The message says the following:

VCFRONT_a156_louverBlockage
USER TEXT
AUDIENCE [service-fix, factory]
DESCRIPTION The front louver is detecting a blockage. HVAC cabin cooling (air conditioning) and powertrain performance may be limited.
SET CONDITION Louver fails the calibration range check after 5 calibration cycles due to under-travel
CLEAR CONDITION Louver is able to calibrate and reach target.
POTENTIAL IMPACT HVAC cabin cooling (airconditioning) and powertrain performance may be limited

Загрузка файла не работает... странно. В сообщении говорится следующее:

VCFRONT_a156_louverБлокировка
ПОЛЬЗОВАТЕЛЬСКИЙ ТЕКСТ
АУДИТОРИЯ [сервис-исправление, завод]
ОПИСАНИЕ Передние жалюзи обнаруживают засорение. Охлаждение кабины HVAC (кондиционирование воздуха) и производительность трансмиссии могут быть ограничены.
SET CONDITION Жалюзи не проходят проверку диапазона калибровки после 5 циклов калибровки из-за недостаточного хода
ЧИСТОЕ СОСТОЯНИЕ Жалюзи могут калиброваться и достигать цели.
ПОТЕНЦИАЛЬНОЕ ВОЗДЕЙСТВИЕ Охлаждение кабины HVAC (кондиционирование воздуха) и производительность трансмиссии могут быть ограничены.
Как вы решили эту проблему? Может ли быть неисправность коленчатого вала?