Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software freeze in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I had the car software freeze when I put the car in reverse. I was trying to get into a tight parking spot - just needed to drop something in a nearby mailbox. The screen froze and became completely unresponsive. The rear camera was NOT on - and I couldn't turn it on, pushing the icon did nothing. What was worse - the sensors completely did NOT work. I'm so used to hearing beeping sound when dangerously close to something that I didn't realize - and I bumped the car behind me. This has never happened before - and honestly came as a bit of a shock. Fortunately there was no damage - I was moving very slowly. Not sure what caused this - the screen was frozen showing a pedestrian "jumping" in front of the car - so maybe it misinterpreted somebody on the sidewalk as being in danger. Crazy. Anyway - after I put it in park, dropped my mail - and got back in the car - everything was working again.

I really hope Tesla is not messing up the software any more than it already has. Honestly - the last couple years I haven't seen anything good come out of Tesla. Used to be - things get improved and better every year. Now they are getting worse and worse. Things like the redesigned models with the ridiculous yoke and no stalk being crammed down our throats. Then removing the radar. Now the whole self-driving software fiasco. When they released it wider - I signed up - cause they said "we'll collect data - for 7 days only". It's been weeks and they are still collecting data on my driving - which is really pi$$ing me off; can't turn it off; sometimes I catch myself intentionally doing nasty things and speeding through turns as a big F.U. to Tesla data collection. Their scoring is comical. The car issues faulty front-collision warning - and your score gets dinged. (90% of those are over nothing). But the worst - if you actually get the half-baked self-driving enabled - it completely disables your radar making the actually functional highway autopilot dramatically worse. Tesla needs to get off its high horse and admit that "vision only" is not as good as vision+radar, period, and stop crippling users cars. Honestly - now that I've read the feedback - I don't want the half-baked self-driving; not if the cost is losing my radar. I'm just wondering why I paid thousands of dollars for it. There was no sign back then "if you get FSD your car will be crippled in some ways".

So yesterday I had the car software freeze when I put the car in reverse. I was trying to get into a tight parking spot - just needed to drop something in a nearby mailbox. The screen froze and became completely unresponsive. The rear camera was NOT on - and I couldn't turn it on, pushing the icon did nothing. What was worse - the sensors completely did NOT work. I'm so used to hearing beeping sound when dangerously close to something that I didn't realize - and I bumped the car behind me. This has never happened before - and honestly came as a bit of a shock. Fortunately there was no damage - I was moving very slowly. Not sure what caused this - the screen was frozen showing a pedestrian "jumping" in front of the car - so maybe it misinterpreted somebody on the sidewalk as being in danger. Crazy. Anyway - after I put it in park, dropped my mail - and got back in the car - everything was working again.

I really hope Tesla is not messing up the software any more than it already has. Honestly - the last couple years I haven't seen anything good come out of Tesla. Used to be - things get improved and better every year. Now they are getting worse and worse. Things like the redesigned models with the ridiculous yoke and no stalk being crammed down our throats. Then removing the radar. Now the whole self-driving software fiasco. When they released it wider - I signed up - cause they said "we'll collect data - for 7 days only". It's been weeks and they are still collecting data on my driving - which is really pi$$ing me off; can't turn it off; sometimes I catch myself intentionally doing nasty things and speeding through turns as a big F.U. to Tesla data collection. Their scoring is comical. The car issues faulty front-collision warning - and your score gets dinged. (90% of those are over nothing). But the worst - if you actually get the half-baked self-driving enabled - it completely disables your radar making the actually functional highway autopilot dramatically worse. Tesla needs to get off its high horse and admit that "vision only" is not as good as vision+radar, period, and stop crippling users cars. Honestly - now that I've read the feedback - I don't want the half-baked self-driving; not if the cost is losing my radar. I'm just wondering why I paid thousands of dollars for it. There was no sign back then "if you get FSD your car will be crippled in some ways".
Pretty sure you can request to leave the beta. According to Reddit, you just have to email [email protected] to opt out. I wouldn't want vision-only AP, so I get where you're coming from.

If you don’t already have the FSD Beta, which I assume is the case, you can opt out using the same button you used to opt in, which will get rid of the safety score.
Ha - you are right. Just opted out.
The button was well hidden - you have to click "Request Self Driving Beta" - again (I thought it's disabled now that I have already requested it) - then on the next screen there is an Opt-out button.
Thx for tip.

Next time, give the car a reset.
This software is still a work in progress, there will be issues.

Wasn't a reset issue. I mean it resolved itself without me resetting. The car would operate - I could set it in reverse and it did go in reverse. What I did NOT realize is that the sensors are NOT operating - causing me to bump the car behind me. That was really dangerous - but considering it's the 1st time that happened in almost 3 years - I'll consider it a fluke.