Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software limited 60 batteries: degradation, upgrades and overall health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 03/2017 manufactured Model S 60D. It has done over 89000 km and although I still love it, the battery has suffered some degradation. I thought that software limited 60 batteries had a set amount of kWhs nett and the degradation would just reduce the gross amount available from the full physical pack thus I wouldn't suffer from degradation. Obviously I was wrong or they changed it at some point. Now it seems that it has a certain percentage of the physical pack available.

I can't remember what the IC displayed as a full charge when new (maybe 322 km?) but now 100% is 311 km or 193 mi.

Are there any other software limited 60 pack owners here anymore or did you all upgrade to 75 when it was still available? If there are, how's your pack's degradation? What's the pack nominal and usable full capacity? What's your cell imbalance? I've attached pics from Scan my Tesla -app.

Screenshot_20200428-070949.jpg Screenshot_20200428-072540.jpg Screenshot_20200428-072546.jpg Screenshot_20200428-072558.jpg Screenshot_20200428-072603.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I thought that software limited 60 batteries had a set amount of kWhs nett and the degradation would just reduce the gross amount available from the full physical pack thus I wouldn't suffer from degradation.

That was never the case. The software limiting has always been just mapping the 100% charge level to match the original stated capacity. So on your car it will report 100% charged when the battery reaches the 80% charge level. (If they hid the degradation, then they wouldn't be able to sell you the unlock to full capacity as there might not be anything left.)

i.e. There is no such thing as a free lunch.