Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Request - Backup Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
open letter to tesla development:

Please create an option for drivers profile to select if the white line that displays on the backup camera is aligned to Tires or Body. Today it appears to only be the Tires and this is not the norm. I often have to remind myself and those I let drive my car to not trust the backup camera and to just use the mirror because the lines are center to the tires not outside the "hips"

Additionally please add a horizontal line (or set of lines) that references a relative distance to the bumper of 2', 5', etc similar to the Honda system and others. The backup sensors in my loaner are effectively useless for this when backing into parking spaces with curbs and the visual lines on the camera would be very helpful.

Although any improvements are welcomed, I don't understand your difficulty with the backup camera. I back in to my parking spot at work every day and only use the backup camera as reference. Never an issue with the curb that is on my passenger side and the parking stop curb. Never hit either of them. Car is straight every time.

Now that we know lines can be overlaid on the camera feed, this should be a fairly easy addition (haha, no really software developers... don't give me that look :p ).

Until such a time, I have noticed that my camera is angled/focused/calibrated/whatever'd such that whatever object is just leaving my view at the bottom of the camera screen will end up almost perfectly aligned with the back of my car.

Example: I'm parking in a space that has painted lines for the spaces as well as the divider between rows of spaces (think the type of lot where you exclaim "Oh! A pull-through!" and have the option of parking head-in or pulling through and ending up like you had backed in to the space on the other row). The moment that the divider line disappears (or appears if I am indeed pulling through) I know that the car is right up against the line. Probably *actually* 1" away or so if one were to extend the line straight up to meed the height of my car.

Additionally, for the distance, I find the wobbly arcs of color to be a fairly good estimation of distance from an obstacle (low curbs notwithstanding, where your suggestion would shine).

Totally agree!

It would also be nice if the forward camera could be used when parking since it's above and forward of the driver. Ideally with lines as well.

What would really be very cool though would be if the car made a 3D model of the parking space, including curbs and other obstacles, based on its cameras and sensors, then showed the car moving into it. That way, even if a curb went under the sensors, it would still be in the model.

Last edited:
Although any improvements are welcomed, I don't understand your difficulty with the backup camera. I back in to my parking spot at work every day and only use the backup camera as reference. Never an issue with the curb that is on my passenger side and the parking stop curb. Never hit either of them. Car is straight every time.

Do you line up the white line on the backup camera screen with the inside edge of the curb?

I personally have no "issues" as I've mentally calibrated to where the line should be but why can't the computer just do that for me?

Agree with you except this part "an option for drivers profile to select" - knobs and switches are the bane of software. It's a shortcoming of foresight. The default behavior should be to "aligned to body", and not adjustable. Yeah I know some knobs and switches are unavoidable, but keep it simple!

What would be even better, is to show a top down view with a model of your surroundings. The car has enough sensors to be able to do so, so it would be nice if they did that. I'm betting at some point they will.

open letter to tesla development:

Please create an option for drivers profile to select if the white line that displays on the backup camera is aligned to Tires or Body. Today it appears to only be the Tires and this is not the norm. I often have to remind myself and those I let drive my car to not trust the backup camera and to just use the mirror because the lines are center to the tires not outside the "hips"

Additionally please add a horizontal line (or set of lines) that references a relative distance to the bumper of 2', 5', etc similar to the Honda system and others. The backup sensors in my loaner are effectively useless for this when backing into parking spaces with curbs and the visual lines on the camera would be very helpful.

I would add to just show both lines like many other do, the tires and the width of the vehicle. About the distance you have a much better distance display using the ultrasonic screen

I would add to just show both lines like many other do, the tires and the width of the vehicle. About the distance you have a much better distance display using the ultrasonic screen
I to have the same concern, wish they would show outside dimension lines, you would think they could write software updates to include the extra lines, almost all owners I have talked to have voiced the same sentiments. My sons $35M Dodge has better backup graphics then Tesla's Does Tesla read these blogs?

I to have the same concern, wish they would show outside dimension lines, you would think they could write software updates to include the extra lines, almost all owners I have talked to have voiced the same sentiments. My sons $35M Dodge has better backup graphics then Tesla's Does Tesla read these blogs?

Sometimes but you can also send a message via their contact page, there is a feedback subject option

Sent a follow up to Tesla and they acknowledged but said that not all request are added (I get that). Also took a shot at a twitter post to Elon but understand he has much more important things to worry about.

To better explain the problem statement, I took the below pictures today. Let's imagine that white line was the curb.

The only benefit I can think of for the current line setup is if I was backing the car up onto ramps or driving on a railroad track I'd always hit dead center on the tires.

The line on the camera either should to be permanently moved outward to align to the tires or better yet the cars body edge or if there is a purpose for he current position then make it selectable as in my original post.

IMG_7852.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
I inquired on this forum about this previously, and was told most backup cameras have the lines at the center of the wheels [for other car manufacturers]. I haven't seen that personally, but then again I haven't driven every other manufacturers car with backup lines.

Now that I think of it, I should test to see how my wife's car has them...

Reactions: kevinf311
I inquired on this forum about this previously, and was told most backup cameras have the lines at the center of the wheels [for other car manufacturers]. I haven't seen that personally, but then again I haven't driven every other manufacturers car with backup lines.

Now that I think of it, I should test to see how my wife's car has them...

Let us know what you find out. This is the first vehicle I've owned with a backup camera (lines or not; and this was both for me!) so I don't really know what the standard is.

I know that our lines are aligned with the tire center line (try saying that 10 times fast) and back up accordingly as it was my own brain-software that was patched to realize that. Since this is just an overlay drawn on the main screen (and not the camera feed) I maintain that right/wrong or needed/not necessary the change should only require tweaking the position of the draw for each.

What *must* happen is should this change be made, there needs to be a big flashy note about it in the update release notes. While the results would be more dire moving from outside edge to center line there still will be some adjustments that people will need to make to adapt to the new data being displayed to them.

Reactions: MP3Mike
On most German cars (and specifically Audi) the backup lines show you the outer dimension, so if you are trying to backup past a tight object or another car, the projection lines show you won't hit. One path shows you actual position, and the second marker shows you the anticipated path based on your steering angle. It's the best I've used since you can turn the wheel left/right and see exactly where your car will end up.