Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software requests for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bunch of feature requests:

Re: walk away door locks
1. I want the car to not turn off when the driver gets out if there is still a key fob in the car.
This morning I was in the passenger seat and my wife was driving. We stopped and she got out, I waited in the car. The car turned off. There was no way for me to turn it back on without getting out of the car and into the driver seat. It should not have turned off.

2. I want a way to keep the car accessories on, even if there is no key fob in the car.
Same scenario as above, but without a key fob it should detect my butt in the seat and give me a chance to touch something on the touchscreen and keep the accessories alive while I waited.

3. I want the car to know it is in my garage and not lock the doors. It would be acceptable for me to be able to have it be a selectable setting as complex as: If the car is plugged in at the GPS location it knows as home - do not lock the car. I never plug it in in the driveway so if it is plugged in at home, then it is in the garage.

Misc:
4. The first app I want for the touchscreen is a notepad.

Re: Driver profiles:
5. I want the driver profile feature to remember temperature settings. I also want it to recognize me by my key fob.

6. I also want the car to recognize the passenger key fob. If I am sitting in the passenger seat, I want it to remember my temperature setting. Remembering my seat position setting in the passenger seat would be nice too.
Never before have I had to share driving duty, now that I do I want it to remember everything about me.

2. I want a way to keep the car accessories on, even if there is no key fob in the car.
Same scenario as above, but without a key fob it should detect my butt in the seat and give me a chance to touch something on the touchscreen and keep the accessories alive while I waited.

My DS told me you can use the parking brake to achieve this. I haven't personally tried it yet. (Leave the car in D/R/N and hit the parking brake button which will put it in N and apply the parking brake ... but will leave the car on if you get out ... something along those lines)

Not that big a deal... I drive a Toyota with miles on the display all the time in Canada, and I've driven my BMW (which only displays km) several times in the US. :) You end up memorizing the important #'s.

It's important to me. My current car can toggle ALL units between US and Metric. This includes speedo, odometers, temperature, tire pressures, GPS Nav units (both displayed and spoken) etc etc.

I know. :) I'm sure I'd feel the same if I didn't grow up surrounded by all metric units. I was more responding to Knight Riders comment that it would be "mandatory" for any Canadians driving in the USA...

It's important to me. My current car can toggle ALL units between US and Metric. This includes speedo, odometers, temperature, tire pressures, GPS Nav units (both displayed and spoken) etc etc.

I would want the ability to set a charge level lower than the usual 90% in standard mode. Often I drive 60 miles and park for 10-11 hours where there is a public 16A charger (3.7kW). If I start at 90% I will use ~20kWh to get there. The charger could pick up at least 35kWh while I'm there but will stop at 20kWh. Thus I want the charge level to be only 70% when I leave home so I can take advantage of the free electricity.

Other times I can park at a faster charger (32A), and since I only need 25% of the battery to get there I'd like to start at 50% or so (not using the lower 25% and keeping a buffer).

Specifically, I'd like the ability to switch between custom, standard and range mode, where "custom" can be defined as any charge level between 30% and 85% or so. 5% steps is ok.

And with GPS, you could even set up the car to do this automatically as you cross the border (as an option), just like smartphones can change their clock to match the local timezone.

I know. :) I'm sure I'd feel the same if I didn't grow up surrounded by all metric units. I was more responding to Knight Riders comment that it would be "mandatory" for any Canadians driving in the USA...

Some of us remember when Canada switched to metric. The switch to metric road signs happened around the time I started driving. Of course the first cars I drove had mph speedometers, but all the signs went metric. It wasn't hard to memorize 40 = 25, 60 = 40, 80 = 50, 100 = 60 (ish).

Some of us remember when Canada switched to metric. The switch to metric road signs happened around the time I started driving. Of course the first cars I drove had mph speedometers, but all the signs went metric. It wasn't hard to memorize 40 = 25, 60 = 40, 80 = 50, 100 = 60 (ish).

I remember when gas switched to litres... it was 19-cents a litre at that time!

I drive (in Canada) in US units all the time and prefer it this way. I'm so used to the conversions that when I'm in a different car, I get thrown when I look at the speedo and see 100 km/h because for an instant, I think I'm going 100 MPH.

I grew up with Imperial units and am still resentful that the Cdn. government forced metric conversion against the will of the majority of people at that time. We had a very arrogant Prime Minister and Parliament at the time with a strong "government knows best" attitude (and a strong anti-American sentiment) towards most things. For many, it's ancient history... but it still bugs me!

I remember when gas switched to litres... it was 19-cents a litre at that time!

I drive (in Canada) in US units all the time and prefer it this way. I'm so used to the conversions that when I'm in a different car, I get thrown when I look at the speedo and see 100 km/h because for an instant, I think I'm going 100 MPH.

I grew up with Imperial units and am still resentful that the Cdn. government forced metric conversion against the will of the majority of people at that time. We had a very arrogant Prime Minister and Parliament at the time with a strong "government knows best" attitude (and a strong anti-American sentiment) towards most things. For many, it's ancient history... but it still bugs me!

But you at least aren't living in the past any more like ... the USA.