TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software requests for the Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by richkae, Oct 15, 2012.

1. richkae

richkae VIN587

I have a bunch of feature requests:

Re: walk away door locks
    1. I want the car to not turn off when the driver gets out if there is still a key fob in the car.
    This morning I was in the passenger seat and my wife was driving. We stopped and she got out, I waited in the car. The car turned off. There was no way for me to turn it back on without getting out of the car and into the driver seat. It should not have turned off.

2. I want a way to keep the car accessories on, even if there is no key fob in the car.
    Same scenario as above, but without a key fob it should detect my butt in the seat and give me a chance to touch something on the touchscreen and keep the accessories alive while I waited.

3. I want the car to know it is in my garage and not lock the doors. It would be acceptable for me to be able to have it be a selectable setting as complex as: If the car is plugged in at the GPS location it knows as home - do not lock the car. I never plug it in in the driveway so if it is plugged in at home, then it is in the garage.

Misc:
    4. The first app I want for the touchscreen is a notepad.

Re: Driver profiles:
    5. I want the driver profile feature to remember temperature settings. I also want it to recognize me by my key fob.

6. I also want the car to recognize the passenger key fob. If I am sitting in the passenger seat, I want it to remember my temperature setting. Remembering my seat position setting in the passenger seat would be nice too.
    Never before have I had to share driving duty, now that I do I want it to remember everything about me.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Rich...I assume you emailed these requests to the ownership email address at Tesla, right? :)

3. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

All reasonable requests. I often use my car stereo for entertainment when I'm working in the garage, so a simple way to get into a "accessory" mode would really be nice.

4. sfriedrich

sfriedrich Member

Excellent quality suggestions and quite reasonable. (I'm a 30 year sw developer)

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I know I've harped on this in several threads, but I would like a way to switch ALL display units between US and Metric.

6. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

My DS told me you can use the parking brake to achieve this. I haven't personally tried it yet. (Leave the car in D/R/N and hit the parking brake button which will put it in N and apply the parking brake ... but will leave the car on if you get out ... something along those lines)

7. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

Agreed, and its pretty much mandatory for Canadians who drive in the USA. It would be a pain to have to guestimate our speed in MPH.

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Not that big a deal... I drive a Toyota with miles on the display all the time in Canada, and I've driven my BMW (which only displays km) several times in the US. :) You end up memorizing the important #'s.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It's important to me. My current car can toggle ALL units between US and Metric. This includes speedo, odometers, temperature, tire pressures, GPS Nav units (both displayed and spoken) etc etc.

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I know. :) I'm sure I'd feel the same if I didn't grow up surrounded by all metric units. I was more responding to Knight Riders comment that it would be "mandatory" for any Canadians driving in the USA...

11. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I would want the ability to set a charge level lower than the usual 90% in standard mode. Often I drive 60 miles and park for 10-11 hours where there is a public 16A charger (3.7kW). If I start at 90% I will use ~20kWh to get there. The charger could pick up at least 35kWh while I'm there but will stop at 20kWh. Thus I want the charge level to be only 70% when I leave home so I can take advantage of the free electricity.

Other times I can park at a faster charger (32A), and since I only need 25% of the battery to get there I'd like to start at 50% or so (not using the lower 25% and keeping a buffer).

Specifically, I'd like the ability to switch between custom, standard and range mode, where "custom" can be defined as any charge level between 30% and 85% or so. 5% steps is ok.

12. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Very good idea. This would be useful to keep the batterie at the most convenient level.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

And with GPS, you could even set up the car to do this automatically as you cross the border (as an option), just like smartphones can change their clock to match the local timezone.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Some of us remember when Canada switched to metric. The switch to metric road signs happened around the time I started driving. Of course the first cars I drove had mph speedometers, but all the signs went metric. It wasn't hard to memorize 40 = 25, 60 = 40, 80 = 50, 100 = 60 (ish).

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I want to be able to navigate to a local webpage on a USB stick.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I remember when gas switched to litres... it was 19-cents a litre at that time!

I drive (in Canada) in US units all the time and prefer it this way. I'm so used to the conversions that when I'm in a different car, I get thrown when I look at the speedo and see 100 km/h because for an instant, I think I'm going 100 MPH.

I grew up with Imperial units and am still resentful that the Cdn. government forced metric conversion against the will of the majority of people at that time. We had a very arrogant Prime Minister and Parliament at the time with a strong "government knows best" attitude (and a strong anti-American sentiment) towards most things. For many, it's ancient history... but it still bugs me!

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

But you at least aren't living in the past any more like ... the USA.

18. earthling

earthling Iam Notdesi

Anybody care to hazard a guess how long until the first Model S will be "jailbroken"?:cool:

Cheers =)

19. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Apps I'd like to see on the Model S

1. Pandora
    2. Yelp
    3. Weather channel/Accuweather
    4. PlugShare
    5. Tweetdeck

And, of course, Tapatalk.

- - - Updated - - -

Toys are jailbroken. Real devices are unlocked, rooted and mod'ed. ;-)

20. earthling

earthling Iam Notdesi

Good Point. Okay, now there's a really scary thought: catching a rooktkit on your Model S ride. Yikes!!