Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software reset and then dead

RcsMD

Aug 11, 2021
Michigan
Had tried to do the latest software update a few times and errors kept happening. Called Tesla and they advised doing a reset.

did the reset and the screen goes blank and then nothing. I had the AC on max prior to doing the reset and the AC been running strong now for 12 hours but the car won’t do anything.

tried all resets and no luck. Just dead in the water…..

ADVICE: never do a software reset in a location that would be difficult to get towed from….my car was 45% charged and no other issues.

2020 model X ; 29k miles ; 1st problem

Reactions: impastu

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
Worse case. Disconnect the 12v battery for 5+ minutes.

Below via: Tesla | All Models | Hard Reset Procedures - Ohmmu Support

yGICcYl.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: impastu

drobin

May 8, 2017
Missouri
Had tried to do the latest software update a few times and errors kept happening. Called Tesla and they advised doing a reset.

did the reset and the screen goes blank and then nothing. I had the AC on max prior to doing the reset and the AC been running strong now for 12 hours but the car won’t do anything.

tried all resets and no luck. Just dead in the water…..

ADVICE: never do a software reset in a location that would be difficult to get towed from….my car was 45% charged and no other issues.

2020 model X ; 29k miles ; 1st problem
I had the same thing last month and had to be towed they sd card was corrupted and needed a reformat ok since

hawaiifamily4

Sep 5, 2021
Orange County, CA
I had the same thing last month and had to be towed they sd card was corrupted and needed a reformat ok since
Would this be the sd card that you plug in for the dash cam?Or is this something that Tesla has to replace on their end? I have been having the same exact issues as everyone else above. It started yesterday, and every time I tried to download the new software it fails and then the car does not turn on

laceyboy

Aug 9, 2020
Lacey WA
I had the same issue with my MX. Mobile tech came out last night to replace SD card and reloaded it. It took him nearly 3 hours.
I believe my MX was trying to update 2021.32.10 and failed.

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Question for All,

Is this Micro SD card that has been failing in 2020 model X cars,
an addition to the EMMC that failed in earlier year cars???
Are they native in earlier MCU2 cars - 2018? 2019?

I have not searched extensively, so far I have only seen this failure on 2020 cars...

Thank You,

Shawn

laceyboy

Aug 9, 2020
Lacey WA
Tech who worked on my MX said it's Micro SD card but how it failed then I am not sure but I don't think it's card issue. It's likely software related to me.

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
Question for All,

Is this Micro SD card that has been failing in 2020 model X cars,
an addition to the EMMC that failed in earlier year cars???
Are they native in earlier MCU2 cars - 2018? 2019?

I have not searched extensively, so far I have only seen this failure on 2020 cars...

Thank You,

Shawn
Perhaps these could be helpful:
My comment re SD card failure, MCU1
Reply to another comment of mine re lack of info regarding what SD card and where
Surely it's posted somewhere. @verygreen must know, but I don't know where it's posted or if he has talked about this.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC