TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software restriction of the acceleration in 85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Pontus, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Pontus

Pontus Member

How is the acceleration restricted in the 85D?
    I've noticed that in the graph that I get more Wh/km when I accelerate in an uphill then in a downhill. So the restriction appears not to be in what amount of power that goes to the drive train more like how fast the increase of the frequency are. Anyone that have any knowledge of this or am I just thinking wrong here?

2. thegruf

thegruf Member

All models are software restricted for driveability and to protect the components for overheating.

3. Sad

Sad Member

You mean more power, i.e. kW, right? Does it mean that if you mash the pedal in a downhill, you don't get the 350 kW or whatever that you would normally get? (presuming you're in the max power band)

4. arg

arg Member

If the car was producing constant power, you would expect a higher Wh/km going uphill than downhill.

For a given power (W), when you are on the flat all of those W are going into either overcoming air resistance or accelerating. When you are going uphill, some of the power is going into the potential energy of raising your car up. Hence if you burn those W for a given amount of time (Wh), you will achieve a lower speed going uphill and so the same Wh are divided over fewer km, and give you a higher Wh/km figure.

5. Pontus

Pontus Member

Sounds right, my misstake not to think it through with the units. The only way my thought would be right is if the acceleration in m/s2 would be the same uphill and downhill. Must try to check it later.