Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software stuck on 2021.3.104, but Tesla thinks I am on 2021.4. How can this be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I picked up my Model Y on 7/22 and my software is still on 2021.3.104. They said it would update in a few weeks but it has not.
I chatted with Tesla yesterday and they said they show my car is on 2021.4. I sent them a screenshot showing my current SW is in fact 2021.3 and they said I need to go in to a service center to figure out why my car is not updating and also apparently out of sync with their reccords.

They were able to confirm I am connected to wifi and no updates have been trying to get to my car since I've owned it.

They instructed me to do a two-wheel reset and after reboot nothing changed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to get my updates "un stuck" and avoid a service center trip?

Reactions: yeafoshizzle
Have you already checked out this page? Software Updates

And hard reboot is better for this kind of stuff = foot on brake pedal, then press/hold both scroll wheel buttons until screen goes off.

just 2 wheel reboot is sort of equiv to Windows Control-Alt-Delete reboot
brake + 2 wheel reboot is more like the physical reset button on desktop towers

• Disagree
Reactions: linux-works
I picked up my Model Y on 7/22 and my software is still on 2021.3.104. They said it would update in a few weeks but it has not.
I chatted with Tesla yesterday and they said they show my car is on 2021.4. I sent them a screenshot showing my current SW is in fact 2021.3 and they said I need to go in to a service center to figure out why my car is not updating and also apparently out of sync with their reccords.

They were able to confirm I am connected to wifi and no updates have been trying to get to my car since I've owned it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to get my updates "un stuck" and avoid a service center trip?
I have 2021.3.104 since I got delivery my car 7/14. Service center told me my software up to date. On all questions when it will be update to new one, answer was- I DON'T KNOW, so I don't care anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: tdeno
I've rebooted both with and without the brake pedal depressed and it appears identical as far as elapsed time and screen observations to me. I would be inclined to believe the pedal has no effect. I asked the Tesla rep if I should use the brake as well when he told me to reboot and he said no fwiw.

I have 2021.3.104 since I got delivery my car 7/14. Service center told me my software up to date. On all questions when it will be update to new one, answer was- I DON'T KNOW, so I don't care anymore.
Weird. I wonder if there is something special about cars running 2021.3.104 causing them not to receiving updates? Like missing parts?

And why does Tesla think I am on 2021.4.x?

Weird. I wonder if there is something special about cars running 2021.3.104 causing them not to receiving updates? Like missing parts?

And why does Tesla think I am on 2021.4.x?
I tell you even more. When technician came to my site to resolve issue with AP I asked him about my old software 2021.3.104. He says my software up to date and his software even older than my 🤣!!! and he received his soft update once in 4 month!!! So I am new owner M3LR and really don't know how they doing update? by vehicles? by group of owners or else? Really nobody know, when it's come -come.🤔

When I first got mine, I thought I was not on the latest at the time. Turned out I was but the versioning was out of order on the screen. 2021.3.103 showed up at the top and then 2021.4.12 was below it.

1630205512747.jpeg

Reactions: herkitothehawk
`2021.3.10x` is in fact newer than `2021.4.12`, but they are not newer than `2021.4.18` which several `.3.104` and `.3.106` are known to have updated to. I'm still fishing for anyone that had `2021.3.105` and got any update to any version to mention it. I have also not seen even the `.3.104` and `.3.106` cars make it to an update beyond `2021.4.18.x`.

Mine is on 2021.3.106 and teslaFI shows it as only 0.2% of Software versions out there. Is parked in a garage every night and has wifi connection. Contacted via the tesla app to see what tesla support says. Maybe because I've only owner for a few weeks it is set to be 'stable' for a while before offering an update?

I thought tesla versions were YEAR.WEEK.x.x therefore I would assume 2021.4 is more recent than 2021.3? I guess they have several branches on the go, so based just on year.week is not enough to figure out if a version is more recent.

Last edited:
`2021.3.10x` is in fact newer than `2021.4.12`, but they are not newer than `2021.4.18` which several `.3.104` and `.3.106` are known to have updated to. I'm still fishing for anyone that had `2021.3.105` and got any update to any version to mention it. I have also not seen even the `.3.104` and `.3.106` cars make it to an update beyond `2021.4.18.x`.
Thanks for this info. Three questions come to mind.
(1) How is 2021.3.10x newer than 2021.4.18 given the year.month.issue format they supposedly use?
(2) Why are some cars on this apparently special 2021.3.10x line?
(3) How is this line different than the latest?

Mine is on 2021.3.106 and teslaFI shows it as only 0.2% of Software versions out there. Is parked in a garage every night and has wifi connection. Contacted via the tesla app to see what tesla support says. Maybe because I've only owner for a few weeks it is set to be 'stable' for a while before offering an update?
If you car is like mine the lack of updates has nothing to do with the internet connection. Tesla says no update has ever tried to download to my car. If internet were the problem they would see failed download attempts . They do not.

Also, Tesla claims my car is currently on 2021.4.something even though my display says 2021.3.104.

If you car is like mine the lack of updates has nothing to do with the internet connection. Tesla says no update has ever tried to download to my car. If internet were the problem they would see failed download attempts . They do not.

Also, Tesla claims my car is currently on 2021.4.something even though my display says 2021.3.104.
One hour ago I tried order TPMS sensors through Tesla service and again ask Tech about software update and he says my 2021.3.104 up to date and nothing NEW for me. 🤣 I don't have experience how often those updates load to my car, so only wait.

Last edited:
The Year.Week format is for the start of that release branch, so .3. is one week older than .4., but as more issue revisions are posted to these branches, which one is newer can change. They didn't stop development on .3. and move to .4., they are developing both at once. My theory is that this mess is from the chip shortage and the .3. cars are the ones with oddball chips in them and that the .3.xxx releases are similar to the .4.xxx releases but support more chip firmwares.

If you are on the .3.xxx releases, the terminology Tesla is using is "Islanded Factory Firmware".

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA and mrwug
Oh... Now that makes sense. I didn't realize the .3 and .4 were independent development branches. I assumed they were just sequential tags.

The explanation that the .3 branch is for cars made with a special "oddball" hardware sounds plausible. However, as an owner of one of these cars I am wondering if I will ever get the nice feature updates the .4 cars get. I would really like the option to un-dim my mirrors for instance, and car wash mode, and closer following distance.

Reactions: GOVA and jkeyser14