Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 10/18 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi did anyone else get a software update today or last night ? Normally my car notifies me of updates around 6/7PM PST. Today i got it this AM. Only caveat, i had Tesla service here today to replace my key. Could he have given me an update or coincidence. He didn't say anything and i didn't notice it until he left.

Im installing now. will report any updates.

I did. I didn't really notice anything interesting. I think it was probably a bug fix for something fairly serious. 8.0 has been pretty unstable for me. Even beyond reboot day, it's probably crashed on me 3 or 4 times and it crashed at least once on the Model X 24-hour test drive I did last weekend.

I've been following the Update Tracker intently ever since the 8.0 rollout started. While a few cars have received updates over the past few days, I think these may just be reporting delays. Few if any 8.0 - updates have gone out over the past week. (There were also two 7.1 updates reported today and even one 7.0 FWIW).

PS: If I had 8.0, I wouldn't be following the tracker intently.

I am still on 2.36.108 so two behind the current.

All of the updates I've received via wifi at home have happened in the predawn hours. The only ones I've received during the daytime have been those installed at the service center.

We're in the typical start-stop-resume release process Tesla has used for all of the previous releases.

Tesla's internal testing and their hand-picked beta testers either miss major problems with the release - or Tesla decides to ship the software even with these major bugs.

They start distributing the software on a seemingly random basis to a small subset of cars, and then trickle the releases out to more cars on a daily basis - until - a major problem is encountered. The distribution then appears to slow down considerably or stop entirely - for days or weeks, and then they start the process over when they believe they've fixed the problems.

And when that release (which gets even less testing than the initial major release) is found to have major problems - the process is repeated, until eventually we get a relatively clean release.

It doesn't have to be this way. Other companies have found ways to both deliver on aggressive schedules AND with acceptable quality. But that may require some major changes to Tesla's software development process (more planning, more reviews of planned features, open beta testing, ...), and, at least so far, Tesla evidently isn't ready to admit they have this problem - and prefers to continue using the same flawed development process - with the same results for each major firmware release.

Hi did anyone else get a software update today or last night ? Normally my car notifies me of updates around 6/7PM PST. Today i got it this AM. Only caveat, i had Tesla service here today to replace my key. Could he have given me an update or coincidence. He didn't say anything and i didn't notice it until he left.

Im installing now. will report any updates.

I had a similar situation with a Ranger fixing my unlock/remote problem with a laptop update. The evening after the fix I got a software update notice. It updated in about 15 minutes and showed the same version before as after (the current 2.40.21).

System 8.0 disabled my Autopilot. Right now I am receiving a new update. Will post version/build number once completed.
March 2015 P85D. Garage, Wifi.

Update: strange. Only took ~ 10 minutes, left me with 8.0/2.42.40. Autopilot still "unavailable". Looks like my previous version was 2.36.31

Reported to ev-fw.com

Last edited: