Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 17.17.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a nice touch. Elon had said something about giving us a list of them, but this is the first sign of that I've seen. Does it just describe them and how to activate, or do you activate them from this new menu? Pictures? :)
Definitely a cool touch, interesting it's not in the notes! Yes, samples please... for those of us poor denizens without a car... o_O

Overall a nice update. I am one of those owners owes ap2 sometimes stops working so I hope that fixes it. I drive mostly country roads so its nice I can go over 35. It does not feel like lane keeping is greatly improved.
On local road it was moving around in the lane trying to detect the edges. It was not horrible but not quite human either. St the top of hills it would veer right and then find the lane again.
On the expressway it does well on sweeping curves. On tighter curves it tends to hand close to the side. It does big adjustments where which can feel jarring. I think it could do several small adjustments to make it smoother. A couple of times it started to change lanes on its own. Fine for me. My wife would freak out.
I think speed limits are still gps.
I think of this as I do regular old cruise control. I use it a lot but I don't turn it on and then check out. We are not at that point yet.
I'd be happy to become a test driver for this. Anyone know of any open positions?

That's a nice touch. Elon had said something about giving us a list of them, but this is the first sign of that I've seen. Does it just describe them and how to activate, or do you activate them from this new menu? Pictures? :)
Just tested it out. You can pick the Mars, James Bond and White board easter eggs off the screen to activate them now. The rainbow road gives a description of how to activate it.

Another new thing that I noticed this morning that I think is new with this update is "data sharing". It asks if Tesla can collect short video clips using the car's external cameras to learn how to recognize things like lane lines, street signs and traffic light positions. You have to checkmark "agree" twice to allow it to work.

So glad for the 90 mph limit. The 80 mph limit forced me to stay in the middle lane at times to avoid blocking cars.

Hope the actual steering and lane detection is better. Promising to see updates, just hope they are real improvements rather than an attempt to pacify the tough crowd.

Donald Trump move to get us talking about this rather than charging limits? ;)

St the top of hills it would veer right and then find the lane again.
On the expressway it does well on sweeping curves. On tighter curves it tends to hand close to the side.

AP1 struggles with all of this, too. The distorted perspective of peaks and valleys seems to throw it off if there's much of an incline, and it tends to hug the inside of moderate curves.

Reactions: Matias
Just tested it out. You can pick the Mars, James Bond and White board easter eggs off the screen to activate them now. The rainbow road gives a description of how to activate it.

Another new thing that I noticed this morning that I think is new with this update is "data sharing". It asks if Tesla can collect short video clips using the car's external cameras to learn how to recognize things like lane lines, street signs and traffic light positions. You have to checkmark "agree" twice to allow it to work.
Interesting... I would have thought that was already part of AP data shadowing...

Reactions: Ulmo

Interesting... I would have thought that was already part of AP data shadowing...

Yea, I thought they were already recording videos and using them to learn the roads.

I was right yet again.
Yes it feels good to be right. I told you people hundreds of times that when they start data collection for their HD map they will announce it.

So far I have been right on everything I have said concerning their autopilot program.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and Sather
What's the scoop on perpendicular parking? Also rain sensing wipers worked in a 2013 tesla 's without any ap cameras, why can't that be used itself?

All Pre-AP2 cars used a dedicated IR rain sensor to drive the wipers. AP2 is planning to use object detection from the wide angle front camera instead, so it's a completely new set of code.

Not sure what the story is on parking - the AP2 ultrasonic sensors are supposed to be longer ranged but I would have thought the difference in output would be trivial, and I'm pretty sure those sensors are the only thing AP1 cars use to do the parking.

I have had my car "off" with energy savings mode anticipating this update for the last several weeks. It seems that I tend to get the updates when "off " because they seem to start releasing at night when the car would be asleep in savings mode. So of course yesterday, I turned it on getting tired of waiting and wasting trons. My action must have been the trigger for them to push the update. You can thank me for the update. ;) Now I wait.

On my way from South Carolina to Illinois today and as I was getting ready this morning I received the notice that a firmware update was available. I delayed my departure to install v17.17.4. I'm 200 miles into the trip and everything is working great! I've manually driven only about 5 of the last 200 miles. The only feature I am missing from my X P90D APv1 vehicle is rain sensing wipers. This update also includes the menus to all the Easter Eggs as a slide tab from the top of the vehicle info screen you get when you tap on the Tesla T.

Yes I agree. I really miss auto rain sensing wipers. Way more important than auto high beam which I never used before.

Reactions: Sather
This is a much needed update especially on the side collision warning. I am driving a model X AP2 from Berkeley to San Ramon, total of about 25 miles. Auto Steering works pretty well on highway. However, when it comes to a sharp turn between highway 24 and 680S, it will go OFF the lane, literally left tires over the lane and when turning at 70-75 miles per hour, you would think you are going to smash onto the concrete Barrier! Two things then happen...... 1. Car suddenly sound alarm and tell you to take over the steering, WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING!!!!! or 2. Car corrects itself even though it is clearly over the left Lane into the space between concrete barrier and the left lane mark. Since I commute to work at 5 am, road is empty. I tried driving on the middle lane and see if the car would overlap into the most left land on this same right turn, and it does. I can just imagine what would happen if there is a car on that lane, would my car just slam into it? or would the Radar detect object and stay away from it? Anyways, on this update, I will test out and see if performs any better. This autopilot really is not ready nor safe enough for unmonitored driving.