Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 17.17.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be worth getting a extender for your network How to Extend WiFi Range | WiFi Boosters & Extenders | NETGEAR
I have tried several different extenders over the years and have always been disappointed by the performance. I recently upgraded to a mesh home network with Google WiFi using 3 units to cover my 3 story 6500sq ft house, and am very impressed with the speed, coverage, and usability. There are now several brands available (Eero, Netgear Orbi, Google) at various price points. Some may be slightly faster, but my Google WiFi has been rock solid for the last 5 months and the app is very easy to use. I finally have good coverage in my garage!

Reactions: OBX John
FullSizeRender 57.jpg

I was hoping to get 17.17.4 sooner rather than later because my X has a mild case of wavy/dancing line syndrome. Happy to say, I received the update last night. I of course immediately went out on local roads (30-45 mph speed limits) to have a go at AP, and color me impressed. In my limited (20 minutes) of AP driving on 17.17.4, I would cautiously- and giddily- suggest AP2 has reached parity with AP1 on local roads during night-time driving, with clear weather conditions. Cautious because I've only had 20 minutes with 17.17.4. The AP was smooth, handled curving roads with ease, including 1-lane roads with markings only on the middle line. Curiously, I did notice the guidelines mildly wavering. Automatic high beams for some reason didn't kick in when I had expected them to on roads that were dark. All in all, based on my thus far limited test drive, 17.17.4 AP2 is looking to be a significant and encouraging improvement.

More to come. Cheers!

View attachment 226165

I was hoping to get 17.17.4 sooner rather than later because my X has a mild case of wavy/dancing line syndrome. Happy to say, I received the update last night. I of course immediately went out on local roads (30-45 mph speed limits) to have a go at AP, and color me impressed. In my limited (20 minutes) of AP driving on 17.17.4, I would cautiously- and giddily- suggest AP2 has reached parity with AP1 on local roads during night-time driving, with clear weather conditions. Cautious because I've only had 20 minutes with 17.17.4. The AP was smooth, handled curving roads with ease, including 1-lane roads with markings only on the middle line. Curiously, I did notice the guidelines mildly wavering. Automatic high beams for some reason didn't kick in when I had expected them to on roads that were dark. All in all, based on my thus far limited test drive, 17.17.4 AP2 is looking to be a significant and encouraging improvement.

More to come. Cheers!

With your Tesla background, this is probably dumb, but when you wanted auto high beams, was the turn signal lever forward in the high beam position?

I have tried several different extenders over the years and have always been disappointed by the performance. I recently upgraded to a mesh home network with Google WiFi using 3 units to cover my 3 story 6500sq ft house, and am very impressed with the speed, coverage, and usability. There are now several brands available (Eero, Netgear Orbi, Google) at various price points. Some may be slightly faster, but my Google WiFi has been rock solid for the last 5 months and the app is very easy to use. I finally have good coverage in my garage!

Yes, I have a large hard to cover house and I ended up with Google WiFi as well. Only complaint is a slight delay when first connecting.

A network extender does not work as well for daily use, but for just delivering updates, $50 for an extender might be a better choice than $300 for Google wifi. But yeah, a mesh network is definitely a solid choice for big homes.

Reactions: DaddyP713
Installed update 17.17.4. One major improvement to report as compared to AP 1.0. I have a road that leads to my neighborhood that has many steep curves with at times limited lines where intersections cross during some of the cures. When I had a loaner AP 1.0, auto steer would not stay engaged. It could not navigate the curves and loss of line. I tried AP 2.0 on the same road after update. My X traversed the curves and limited lines with no problems at all. So, at least in this case AP 2.0 surpasses AP 1.0.

The turn signal lever wasn't in the high beam position.

That's why you never saw them, then.

As a couple folks have commented since, you start by putting the lever to high beam.

Then you either get high beams and the associated blue icon - or a little grey high beam icon with an A in the middle if the car decides there's oncoming traffic or someone in front of you or too much light.

Here is a short clip I took on 17.17.4. Still a bit jerky which I hope Tesla irons out but love the higher speed limits.

Improvement but still seems to veer dangerously close to the outside of a turn. Would be too scared to try this with oncoming traffic. If I'm driving I'll keep the the right on a sharp bend with oncoming traffic in case either they or I veer over the center-line.

Been testing for 2 days now
Freeways maybe slightly better
Surface streets better in some ares with well defined markings, but still unusable in many areas where I live ( I get the autosteer icon presented, but it's a scary experience once I engage )
At least nice to get to test at reasonable surface street speeds, and certainly pretty good on the right streets

One thing hasn't changed, and I wish It was better on surface streets
It is the extremely high rate of speed you see when approaching cars that were too far in front of you. Like cars at a light you're approaching

I've let the car get pretty close but always brake as it seems a crash is coming
I do have a workaround I like better that braking. I just quickly adjust TACC speed down a few notches and seems to work well once you get a feeling for it. No need to disengage/reangage

• Informative
Reactions: NateB
Been testing for 2 days now
Freeways maybe slightly better
Surface streets better in some ares with well defined markings, but still unusable in many areas where I live ( I get the autosteer icon presented, but it's a scary experience once I engage )
At least nice to get to test at reasonable surface street speeds, and certainly pretty good on the right streets

One thing hasn't changed, and I wish It was better on surface streets
It is the extremely high rate of speed you see when approaching cars that were too far in front of you. Like cars at a light you're approaching

I've let the car get pretty close but always brake as it seems a crash is coming
I do have a workaround I like better that braking. I just quickly adjust TACC speed down a few notches and seems to work well once you get a feeling for it. No need to disengage/reangage
I assume the long range camera is not enabled. But, as compared to GM's adaptive cruise, it does pick up the vehicles sitting at a light much sooner. I always had to disengage when approaching a light. AP does seem to see the car sitting but not soon enough unless I slow down as you mentioned.

Yes. I was hoping the update would add better car sensing and extend the "range" of the cameras. AP2 doesn't see cars until you are right on them, and that is coming from someone that drives aggressively.