Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): Edited thread title for consistency with existing software update threads

are there any new, worth to mention, features in the newest detected fw 2018.10.4?
Anything new in the release notes?

Bonnie said in the 2018.10.4 Model X thread that Autopilot was way better in curves and narrow roads. She called it "more confident". Version 2018.10.4

Can we say that Autopilot improvements are the same version to version between S and X?

Bonnie said in the 2018.10.4 Model X thread that Autopilot was way better in curves and narrow roads. She called it "more confident". Version 2018.10.4

Can we say that Autopilot improvements are the same version to version between S and X?
I would think so. When has that ever not been true? And I think most people post ‘here’ since the S forum has turned into the de facto ‘general’ forum for better or worse.

I would also think releases of the same ‘major/minor’ level would even mean the same behavior for the S/X and the 3 but we don’t know enough about how the two code bases interact. (Meaning you’d think they would be identical except for GUI changes but do we know that?)

I just got 2018.10.4 over the air a little earlier today. I was on 2018.6.1. It gave me a little scare as I told it to go ahead and do the update now. Left the car for about 15 minutes and went back and everything was dead. All the screens, nothing making any noise except for doors unlocking. Couldn't open charge port etc. Reboot did nothings, etc. I let it sit for about another 15-20 minutes and it was still dead so I went in and called SC. They asked me to go back to the car and when I got there everything was up and running...phew!

I can't see any improvements in the notes except for remote trunk/frunk opening. I will test AP tomorrow to see if it is improved.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
5651FACB-DBA3-48E7-9DEF-117C729B1762.png
Been hearing reports on Facebook that even with the “older” pre March 2018 MCU hardware, the browser and UI and dramatically faster! Can anyone who got this update confirm that? Browser usable? Can it load pages it previously wouldn’t load??

I received 10.4 today. There is a 400m stretch of road, 50mph, that it has always struggled with in the past. With the new update it still wants to either kill me by drifting into the outside lane or crash into the curb on the other bends.

On a side note though the screens are definitely running much quicker, back t the 17.x speed as when i picked up the car. The volume for example is instant on the centre screen and most of th email screen buttons and maps etc work near as fast as some of the new MCU videos.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
First impressions for me is that AP is definitely improved. Going over a hump in the road previously threw the steering left or right. On this release AP didn’t even flinch.

I will test more.

Just to follow up on this, I'm pretty sure this release has the new NN, it seems an improvement in every way over 2018.6. On my morning commute I've noticed:

- Recognition of extremely wide lanes so the car no longer hunts from left to right as a lane widens
- Cresting hills no longer causes the car to veer left or right
- Recognition of stopped cars seems much improved

I have yet to try it on a motorway, I'm hoping to try that later to see if auto lane change has improved, the last version of this left much to be desired.

According to the data collected on TeslaFi, this update seems to be for AP2/2.5 cars
You are correct. Nothing for non-2/2.5 so far. Interesting!

Also, for those watching the update: the recommendation has always been when you start it to walk away so your fob can’t interfere and don’t approach the car until the app tells you the update has completed. I usually wait 45-60 mins before looking in case I don’t get the notification.

This appears to be a full rollout as I was saying on the X thread with over 50 cars in two days on TeslaFi. Much more than 2018.10 ever did!