Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the new hardware changes and disclaimers in the app, it sounds like the S/X will probably be getting "phone as key" functionality soon.

I am assuming the "phone as key" option provides for some sort of Bluetooth connectivity so your phone works exactly like the fob without having to log into the app to unlock and start the car?

In any case, I decided this morning to start using my phone instead of my fob for my weekday commutes. Having to enter a password in the app each time to start the car isn't so bad - at least not yet.

As far as this latest update, I did not see any differences with EAP on my hour-long commute this morning. 95% was highway. It still wanted to exit off a ramp to the left that was closed off. I pulled it back into the proper lane after it began searching for a lane line on the left. AP should not take an exit if there is no input from me to do so. (this was a construction zone however workers were not present)

Lane line disappears:
Screenshot_2018-03-10-09-39-06.png
Car begins to straddle left lane line:
Screenshot_2018-03-10-09-40-28.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: conman
Neural Net. It's the brain that decides what to do when driving in Auto Pilot based on input from cameras, radar, sonar etc

Not to be pedantic, but I don't think Tesla is doing end-to-end NN. The NN is used for detection/perception; it tells the AutoPilot system where other objects are, where the lane lines are, etc. I think the motion planning and motion control (the decision-making parts) are old-fashioned hand-coded software. I could be wrong.

(End-to-end NN would feed sensor data into the NN, and out of the NN would come designed steering angle and throttle/braking. As far as I know only Nvidia is currently taking this idea seriously, and then only because they want to sell lots of GPUs.)

Reactions: mongo
Got update last night, drove 50+ miles today on various roads. Autosteer improvement in a number of areas. Follows road without steering jerk as it peaks a hill, worked fine in several previous trouble spots. Excellent lane tracking two lane state highway and on major divided highway. Seemed to be less likely to take an exit as I traveled in the left line on divided highway. But best is lane change nature, now as good or better than my own driving. Clearly surpasses my memory of driving a model S with AP1 for several days.

Neural Net. It's the brain that decides what to do when driving in Auto Pilot based on input from cameras, radar, sonar etc

I know its already been addressed but i want to put an emphasis on this.

The neural network does not decide or control the car.
The neural network is only used for the camera vision to extract identifiable objects.

This is a MAJOR misconception by Tesla fans especially with Elon always tweeting that their "neural net is now over 9000" every other month.
Frankly, i don't think Elon even has a clue what a neural net is and what the AP team is using it for. He's just a hype man.

I just got 10.4 last night. Installed it while the car was parked and I am at work right now. I see the new trunk and frunk buttons in the app. Can’t wait to test out and see if there is any speed improvements or any changes to AP.

Reactions: Detay
2018.10.4 8bbdc66 trigger by service center today, installed at home, don't see any speed improvement on touch screen tho. But now we can open frunk and trunk in the app. Problem is open app seemed to be slower compare with key fob, no?