Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with Tesla support asking why I haven't gotten 10.4 update on one of our cars. He said that they have largely halted sending the update because a small percentage of cars have been experiencing MCU "blackouts" which won't turn back on despite hard resets. The engineering team has been up all night and working 24/7 to resolve it. Expect an updated release (10.5?) soon...
Yeah, if you look at ev-fw.com it really slowed down. Glad to have a reason for that. Wonder if this is connected to the ‘overnight’ timeout sort of thing and myself and others had a ‘less drastic’ case of what they described to you. No reason for cars to disconnect either resettably or not when they didn’t before.

For anyone this happens to, I always mention that when I had issues with ‘a dead car’, be sure to try what I did: awaken it with the app. Sometimes that works when the brake pedal, etc. fails.

Here’s hoping for a quick resolution so that problem is fixed and we all get the new AP code!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's improved but not all the way there yet. At 45 ish or less, it seems to identify cars from pretty far compared to before and continuously slows down to a smooth stop. Before, that number was maybe 35mph and even then, it would bounce between identifying (slowing down) and losing (speeding back up) before acquiring and suddenly slowing down again.
I have 25K AP1 miles on my previous X and with a fresh 400 miles driven this weekend on my AP2 X and the new NN, it is WAY way better than AP1 on slowing down for cars. It slowed down from 60 MPH today for me. It did not matter the shape of cars in AP1 in my 25K AP1 mile experience ... all that mattered is if the car in my lane was already stopped. Cars in adjacent lanes would help AP1. If there were no cars in adjacent lanes then the shape of the car NEVER matter in any scenery I recall. It would hit the car at 35-45 MPH if I let it.

My cars main screen was dead this morning with no temp value on drivers screen ( just —). Had to take another car out for the day. Got it working again with a brake pedal type reset but it was really annoying!

I must be the only one but I haven’t experienced any noticeable difference in the autopilot. It still tries to crash on the same corners it always did.

Failed yesterday, but today I was finally able to get it to drive my 20 mile test route with three freeway transitions, without any disingagements. Definitely cause for celebration. The most amazing part was how it handled a section of the freeway with partial white painted lines in the middle of the lane that had been very poorly “erased” during freeway construction. Yesterday when it was raining, I couldn’t even tell if I was in the correct lane or not when I drove this section of I-5.

Here is one of the toughest tests for 2018.10.4. All of my previous software updates have never been able to do this.

My 2016 AP2 Tesla Model S90D is on AP as soon as I complete the left turn and it continues all the way up Beauford, off of Lakewood Dr., near Capitol of Texas (360), Austin, TX. The car was driving the speed limit of 30 miles an hour all the way up Beauford. I captured this video from my Blackvue 750S which creates 1 minute video segments. The car continued on AP for another 1/2 mile with no issues after the video stops.

It could be the repeater cameras are watching your blind spot. It’s hard to completely rule out the ultrasonics because the video doesn’t show what happens prior to when the passing vehicle moves ahead of your car. There is a vision network for the repeater cameras so they are being used for something, and given their field of view the most likely thing is that they are watching the adjacent lanes to the side and rear of your vehicle.

I notice that lane changes are now a lot more gradual than they were in the previous version and it occurs to me that the previous version’s abruptness might have been a measure that was intended to help manage situations where you are changing into a lane and there is traffic coming up on you fast from behind. If you make a slow and gradual lane change then the possibility that an approaching vehicle will try to squeeze past you and create a dangerous situation is much more likely. So in the previous version the fix might have been to just do the lane change very quickly. If they now have the ability to use the repeaters to make sure that blind spot is safe then that allows them to have a much more comfortable lane change. And if they can do that then they can also protect you from people approaching fast from behind and maybe getting too close to your vehicle as they flash by.

I watched through your video a couple of times but I’m not completely clear on the sequence of events. It looks like you are getting warned about the vehicle coming up behind you on your right and that your car moved over to the left as you were being warned. And it also looks like your vehicle moved so far to the left that it was actually intruding on the lane to the left of you. Is that what happened? Or did you move the car? If the car moved itself then it must have been watching the left lane to make sure that it was clear also. If the vehicle is now capable of automatically making a lane change to avoid a dangerous situation then that is certainly an escalation of it safety capabilities.
Jimmy thanks for this. So in my video, I was manually changing lanes. You can hear that I cancelled the auto steer a little prior to this manual lane change. When the mercedes buzzed me, I don't think the car did much to affect my steering, but it is possible that it delivered haptic feedback along with the warning but I'm not sure. The thing that makes me think this is legit is that the same thing happened when I wasn't making a lane change and was traveling at a slow speed from a stop light and a motorcycle buzzed me. Same beeping. It certainly is possible that the ultrasonics are responsible, but one thing I've noticed is that the ultrasonic sensors don't seem to pick things up when I'm going above 70 mph or so. That doesn't mean it's not picking things up but perhaps the IC doesn't display it. Either way.... it's really neat.

Here is one of the toughest tests for 2018.10.4. All of my previous software updates have never been able to do this.

My 2016 AP2 Tesla Model S90D is on AP as soon as I complete the left turn and it continues all the way up Beauford, off of Lakewood Dr., near Capitol of Texas (360), Austin, TX. The car was driving the speed limit of 30 miles an hour all the way up Beauford. I captured this video from my Blackvue 750S which creates 1 minute video segments. The car continued on AP for another 1/2 mile with no issues after the video stops.
OK, I'll post my video tonight too since we are talking same road.

Well today I got to test the update on a good long stretch of freeway and that is where I can really see the improvements. Steering: much smoother and steadier, curves: much better at staying in the center even at 80mph, driving next to dividing wall with no shoulder: much less scary as it kept a safe distance from the wall and maintained the distance even in curves.

Still had one phantom braking experience and I had one time where a car suddenly moved into my lane that was traveling at around 70mph and I was doing about 79mph. I had to hit the brakes before AP (don't know whether it would have or not but I didn't dare wait any longer). I drove most of the 49 mile drive in AP which was awesome. IT doesn't do as well on surface streets for me yet, but maybe with the next update it will.

Hey all, I have the new MCU in my MS100D and last night I got a fw update 2018.10.2. Haven’t seen anything about the fw, but I will let y’all know if it’s got similar AP improvements to 10.4.
10.2 sounds like it may be the 10.4 for the new MCU all right, from the timing... does it also have the trunk/frunk remote opening in the app?