Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"My car shows it is on 2018.12 but the release notes are different. There is no mention of navigation or maps"

My release notes are different also but it has the maps. To check if you have them go to Apps.
IMG_3428.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3426.png
    IMG_3426.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3427.png
    IMG_3427.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
You guys should consider adopting my care free attitude. No update thus far is earth shattering (at least in my 5 months of ownership). You'll get this update eventually. You'll forget about it 3 days later and worry about the next update. Just enjoy. Let others work out the bugs. Go wash and wax your cars. It will give you the same euphoric feeling.

Reactions: bmah
There really should be a feature to hit the "T" and request the download, and when its requested, it actually starts downloading, along with a progress meter just like a download on a PC. I would even be fine with a "wi-fi" requirement in exchange for this feature.

If the issue is a controlled roll-out to a first wave of cars, let the folks that hit the button go first. Let the early adopters test it and then roll it out to the patient people that don't care if or when they get it.

That said, this will go into the "one day we will have built in dash cams" bucket of tweeted promises. I don't expect to see this any time soon.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I've had 12 installed for the past four days and just yesterday, I received the Navigation update. It did have a summary when I walked into the car and the only noticeable change is in the instrument cluster. It's sharper and has more "directions."

What do you mean?

I've been trying to "summon" updates for ages, also tweeted Elon and Tesla about it a few times. Very happy to see this progress.
Is that what that button is for? :D We hope the new 'summon' button works better than that one.

And as I was telling DJ, I think this is final proof (if we needed any) that when Elon wants to announce a 'feature' he either waits for or searches for a tweet discussing it and then says 'Done!'. Because DJ tweeted about this a few days ago, and Elon's response wasn't even near when he tweeted. According to one thread here this has been in the works for a few months.

So, again, Elon sounds like he is doing it because we ask for it. :D Not that there's anything wrong with that.... but give him credit for some non-off-the-top-of-his-head responses!

That wouldn't exactly be a controlled roll-out. That said I have a hard time understanding why some cars fall months behind.

Well on my S, I once had a condition where I had a download that was "stuck". Found this out when I called Tesla tech support ("stuck" was their description). They frobbed something on my car remotely, and 30 minutes later I had the software update dialog on the CID. (I only called tech support several weeks into the wide roll-out of whatever the current software release was at the time, because I was concerned there was some problem on my car that was blocking the download or something like that.)

Bruce.

Reactions: rush6410
I had 2018.12 for a week and checked for navigation updates as a download and by looking into the release notes.

Navigation showed up on Saturday with no manual install initiated.

As far as I know from my own experience 2018.12 happens first and navigation follows but at a later time - one week for me.

Yet another data point on timeline:

Picked up new X last Saturday.
Sunday morning I got notice of an available download (2018.12) and did it right away
Later that day I had a warning about out of date or missing map data pop up. I didn't take a pic and then couldn't get it to pop back up.
This week Thursday I believe I finally got my maps and had a notification waiting for me.
I believe it was the same day that I had 2 crashes of my system. In the morning, the touch screen went blank when I got in and I had to reboot it.
The other it rebooted both the center screen and IC when I got in and started driving later in the day.

Neither has happened since, so I chalked them up to intermittent systems issues.

Reactions: MXFan