Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how do we initiate the yellow clock watch? :)

You can't. You just think about it incessently and every time you get in your car or pick up your phone you say to yourself "maybe this time the yellow clock will appear on my MCU or a notification will be on my phone that the update has arrived". And to pass the time you check the forums not too frequently but maybe 4 times an hour to see if anyone else received the update. To pass the time you also say to yourself you really don't need any update because you love your car as it is but deep down in the corners of your mind you cannot deny to yourself that you are thinking about it.

I got 2018.12 this morning (on an MS) and there has been no noticeable difference to anything. I am in the UK though and read somwhere that only the US were getting the vector maps first.

Same here. Got the update and all the release notes say is that the frunk and trunk can be opened remotely with the release (2018.12), but we had that with .4.

I can’t say I notice anything different about the navigation or the maps look or feel. I may be missing it though as I haven’t been a frequent user of the nav and maps before 10.12. More than anything, I would have the map on split screen to pick up any traffic red ahead on my commute.

With 10.4 and earlier, I will say that I have experienced silly routing on short trips...... Off an exit then back on the next for no apparent reason. Also, I have experienced extremely inefficient ‘smart’ rerouting (nav off) when getting in my vehicle to return home from work in the afternoon.

For ref I have a 2017 S with MCU 1

Updated navigation!

Attachments

• 7A5CFF99-25B8-441E-BB19-4C68A285ECE0.jpeg
    7A5CFF99-25B8-441E-BB19-4C68A285ECE0.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Informative
Reactions: TechVP and AdamHLG
Couple of things I have heard (don't have the update yet).

1. It will not show up on your phone, only car screen.
2. There are two separate downloads and one it not called an "update". Not sure how it shows up or exactly how you download, but I haven't heard anyone complain about having difficulty.

Anyway, just passing on things I have heard (ie don't shoot the messenger if they are wrong). Cheers!!

One thing I have noticed over the past few days (and it could be my imagination) is that the car seems to predict corners and start to turn a bit earlier, sometimes still on straight, just like we would.

It would be great if the car steered based on sat nav and used the cameras to then correct in real terms.

Couple of things I have heard (don't have the update yet).

1. It will not show up on your phone, only car screen.
2. There are two separate downloads and one it not called an "update". Not sure how it shows up or exactly how you download, but I haven't heard anyone complain about having difficulty.

Anyway, just passing on things I have heard (ie don't shoot the messenger if they are wrong). Cheers!!
I got an "Update Available" notification on my phone for 2018.12. It installed as single, but lengthy, update. It took 30+ minutes.

In case you haven't seen, there's a lot more detail in the Model S 2018.12 thread. The nav/maps do seem to come in 'later' as a separate download after 2018.12 is present, and then a MCU reboot gives you 'added' release notes to tell you they are there. There will be a red "!" at the top to indicate they are ready (just for the maps), and the MCU will reboot again. That's one account I've seen. So, yes, the phone app won't tell you that the maps have arrived. Watching the data downloading to your car may be useful (over the wifi router, if you have that capability), but probably not as it won't tell you when the car might actually have the maps available.

(We could really do with one place for firmware discussions... :D)

In case you haven't seen, there's a lot more detail in the Model S 2018.12 thread. The nav/maps do seem to come in 'later' as a separate download after 2018.12 is present, and then a MCU reboot gives you 'added' release notes to tell you they are there. There will be a red "!" at the top to indicate they are ready (just for the maps), and the MCU will reboot again. That's one account I've seen. So, yes, the phone app won't tell you that the maps have arrived. Watching the data downloading to your car may be useful (over the wifi router, if you have that capability), but probably not as it won't tell you when the car might actually have the maps available.

(We could really do with one place for firmware discussions... :D)
ok, i was wondering why nothing changed when i got my update from the service center yesterday, other than the trunk and frunk on app...

then again i have an AP1.0 car so maybe i won't even get a decent map update?

Sigh I am stuck on 2018.10.4 (2017 S100D)

It's kind of hard I know but...patience...Tesla software updates sometimes roll out gradually, rather than all at once like iPhone software.

You're hardly alone...on the TeslaFi firmware tracker, only 28% of the cars they track are running 2018.12, compared to 35% on 2018.10.4.

Bruce.

Yeah, I keep thinking they are fine-tuning something with the slow-ish rollout... and we are almost at the end of week 14, which means, we could expect a new release next week. :eek: (assuming 2018.14 is next, and it takes about a week after the 'date', etc...).

The Easter weekend was slow, then it picked up, and now we're back to slow. Ev-fw says:

upload_2018-4-5_14-14-26.png

Well folks, I wouldn't hold your breath on the IC nav maps update... My P100D model X was among the first to get 2018.10 three weeks ago, then 2018.12 last week. My car's on wifi pretty much 24x7 and I've still seen precisely nada. Apparently your vehicle needs to be selected to receive the beta maps update, and it seems that not many have been as yet...