Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have people been able to identify under what circumstances a software update will be pushed/notified or is it pretty much across the board? I assumed it would happen overnight when the car is connected to wifi.

I'm on 2018.12 but don't have new maps or 2018.14 yet. just got my car back from service a few days ago where they updated to 2018.12 while they had it. since then i haven't seen any software update notifications. it didn't seem like it was automatically connecting to my home wifi anymore so I did a reset of the MCU last night and it seems to have stayed connected this morning.

Maps dispursement appears random. Notably, there’s a lot of reports that sound like failed downloads(I had this happen myself, with the 5GB download actually ending up at 9GB). But, there won’t be any notification from Tesla when it’s happening. You’ll get the release notes talking about it when it’s complete, but there’s nothing saying it’s started and no phone notification about it at all.

have people been able to identify under what circumstances a software update will be pushed/notified or is it pretty much across the board? I assumed it would happen overnight when the car is connected to wifi.

I'm on 2018.12 but don't have new maps or 2018.14 yet. just got my car back from service a few days ago where they updated to 2018.12 while they had it. since then i haven't seen any software update notifications. it didn't seem like it was automatically connecting to my home wifi anymore so I did a reset of the MCU last night and it seems to have stayed connected this morning.

Yeah, it's pretty much random.

For firmware updates (e.g. 2018.xx), it rolls out randomly to the fleet, usually in batches of cars followed by a few days of a lull. The exception here is, bringing your car in for service will generally get you the latest update pushed. Sounds like you probably brought your car in a few days before 2018.14 was released.

When the SC or customer service pushes a firmware update, it doesn't matter if you have wifi or LTE, you will get it within a few hours of downloading + verifying it. However, when an update is rolled out over the are and you are the lucky random recipient of the update, being on wifi generally helps you get the update downloaded, while the car will wait some time before giving up and trying to get it over LTE.

For the maps, that's something we don't really understand yet. Looks like it's random selection of people that are on 2018.12 or newer, and seems like it only downloads over wifi. After the download, it takes tens of hours to verify/unpack it before you can see the new maps active.

There was a Tesla iOS app update overnight, update and see maybe if that corrects it? That happened on my last 90D. Received like 40 notifications, they checked the logs and ended up replacing the charger at the house since it was faulty.

Great call - I just noticed that my iPhone still was waiting to install the Tesla app update. I now have it installed and will test again later tonight. Thanks for the tip!

During the last 6 month I received updates between after 1 day to 3 months.
I think it will be the same with .14 :p
(I'm still on 2018.6.1)

To receive the European map update, I assume I have to double the time frame - between 2 days and 6 months. o_O

Got the .14 update two days ago. New maps activated this morning (so 2 days later). Big upload I hear ...

A few days ago I visited Santana Row store and set in the new S and did a fast.com speed test on the new browser & new MCU.

On LTE it was 45Mbs. Mine at home on WIFI does 2.3Mbs at best ... and an iPhone on the same wifi access point did like 230Mbs.

Orders of magnitude it seems.

Attachments

• tesla_mcu.jpg
    tesla_mcu.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 87
Got .14 last night. IS IT JUST ME OR DID REGEN BRAKING GET MILDER? I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it feels milder at higher speeds... That's the only thing I have noticed so far.
Well, I got this problem after last update 2018.12 and reported here in a thread about Regn brake. It definitely is less responsive than before. With a steep downhill near my home, I have to descend everyday to get to the main road, I used to control the speed of the car easily by not applying accelerator or brake and as a matter of fact, sometimes I had to push accelerator to build up speed. Now I have to use brakes to slow down the car as it rolls down the hill and builds up speed very quickly!

For the new 2018.14 update, I don't see any significant changes except the trunks being operable through phone app (which was already introduced in version 12) and access to user manual from About Tesla screen.

By the way since .12 upgrade my AP is more confused about the car in front of it and sometimes it shows 2 cars instead of one!! :) My Tesla AP now has crossed eye! :) :)o_O:D

Noobie question related to this thread: I'm currently on 2018.12 and today got notification of a new update being available (assuming that would be 2018.14).

I had to dismiss the window several times because I was traveling and couldn't stop in one place long enough for the update to install.

Now the notification icon at the top of MCU is gone and I do not know how to initiate the update. Any guidance would be welcome.

Noobie question related to this thread: I'm currently on 2018.12 and today got notification of a new update being available (assuming that would be 2018.14).

I had to dismiss the window several times because I was traveling and couldn't stop in one place long enough for the update to install.

Now the notification icon at the top of MCU is gone and I do not know how to initiate the update. Any guidance would be welcome.

This usually means the update was redacted by Tesla, presumably because they found a problem with it, etc. They have the ability to pull updates up until the moment you actually install it.

Sounds like you might've dodged a bullet :D

This usually means the update was redacted by Tesla, presumably because they found a problem with it, etc. They have the ability to pull updates up until the moment you actually install it.

Then again, there are others who just lost out in the midst of a massive rollout and had to wait till the next update was released.. alternatively, if you email your local service center and include your VIN, they can often manually re-push it to your car once they see they'd tried once before.

Now how is this possible? When it tells you that it’s ready to install it’s been downloaded. So they can tell the car to delete it?

As for waiting to install it, what you usually get is the alarm clock, no? Just leave it there until you are ready to install.

Now how is this possible? When it tells you that it’s ready to install it’s been downloaded. So they can tell the car to delete it?

As for waiting to install it, what you usually get is the alarm clock, no? Just leave it there until you are ready to install.
Right. They can remotely tell the car to nuke it. One of the rooted people posted the piece of JSON that does this....

They did this for that one 2018.4 ish release that bricked AP2 cars with a failed update and driver assist disabled.

Of course if you try to keep your car off the grid after getting your alarm clock, you can avoid that.

Right. They can remotely tell the car to nuke it. One of the rooted people posted the piece of JSON that does this....

They did this for that one 2018.4 ish release that bricked AP2 cars with a failed update and driver assist disabled.

Of course if you try to keep your car off the grid after getting your alarm clock, you can avoid that.
Thanks for the info! There are ways, as you say!

Hey, I'm new to this Tesla thing. I'm trying to use the Autopilot frequently, but I'm 100% attentive because I just don't know its limitations.

This morning after 2018.14 update, I'm driving to work. Early morning, and my car faced east, nearly directly into the sun. Maybe the car had too much sun, but the autopilot got confused, it didn't make any weird turns, but it flashed in red and made an eerie loud sound I've never heard before while displaying "Car May Have Veered out of Lane" warning. Is this a warning people have seen?